Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Full size spare for the 1.8 corolla

Korgrocker

I've just taken delivery of a 2019 Corolla Design 1.8 Hybrid TRK. TRK indeed! The dealer suggested that if I couldn't use the useless tyre repair kit, I instead use the breakdown cover if I have a puncture but in rural Scotland that could be a very long wait for a repair. I was quoted silly money from the dealer for a space saver steel wheel so I found the wheel geometry somewhere and it's the same as an Auris Space saver. So I purchased the Auris one and it fits both the wheel studs and under the boot floor. I placed the order on Friday at 4pm and delivered via DHL the following Tuesday.

Purchased from The Wheel Shop. https://www.thewheelshop.co.uk/toyota-auris-space-saver-spare-wheel-17-and-tool-kit.html

Don't forget you'll need the retaining bolt.

IMG_1410.jpeg

• Like 4

On 7/9/2019 at 1:01 PM, Korgrocker said:

I've just taken delivery of a 2019 Corolla Design 1.8 Hybrid TRK. TRK indeed! The dealer suggested that if I couldn't use the useless tyre repair kit, I instead use the breakdown cover if I have a puncture but in rural Scotland that could be a very long wait for a repair. I was quoted silly money from the dealer for a space saver steel wheel so I found the wheel geometry somewhere and it's the same as an Auris Space saver. So I purchased the Auris one and it fits both the wheel studs and under the boot floor. I placed the order on Friday at 4pm and delivered via DHL the following Tuesday.

Purchased from The Wheel Shop. https://www.thewheelshop.co.uk/toyota-auris-space-saver-spare-wheel-17-and-tool-kit.html

Don't forget you'll need the retaining bolt.

IMG_1410.jpeg

Did you have to make a hole in the carpet for the retaining bolt?  If so I assume the captivated nut is there to screw it into!

16 hours ago, Sidrat said:

Did you have to make a hole in the carpet for the retaining bolt?  If so I assume the captivated nut is there to screw it into!

Yes - there's a threaded hole right underneath the carpet where you would expect it to be. Small operation with a pair of scissors :) I was fortunate in that I had a retaining bolt left over from a previous vehicle (Kia) that was the required length/thread size. 

• Like 2

Just as a point of interest for folks looking to buy a new Corolla - a space saving wheel is an alternative, and FREE option to the standard offering of a puncture repair kit at the time of ordering

This does mean the loss of a few inches of boot space as the floor is a little higher to accommodate the wheel so you need to think about what's more important to you when it comes to ordering - wheel or the space. I chose the wheel option for my 2019 Corolla and am not missing the extra boot space (yet!). I wasn't offered this option, by the way... I had seen it mentioned on the Toyota website and had to specifically ask for it when I placed my order but it was all arranged with no quibble.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Velvet--Glove said:

Just as a point of interest for folks looking to buy a new Corolla - a space saving wheel is an alternative, and FREE option to the standard offering of a puncture repair kit at the time of ordering

This does mean the loss of a few inches of boot space as the floor is a little higher to accommodate the wheel so you need to think about what's more important to you when it comes to ordering - wheel or the space. I chose the wheel option for my 2019 Corolla and am not missing the extra boot space (yet!). I wasn't offered this option, by the way... I had seen it mentioned on the Toyota website and had to specifically ask for it when I placed my order but it was all arranged with no quibble.

It's not an option on the Design for some weird reason that I have never had a suitable answer for.  Dealership does not know why and I did not get an answer from a query I sent to Toyota UK.

• Like 1

On 7/18/2019 at 5:30 PM, Sidrat said:

It's not an option on the Design for some weird reason that I have never had a suitable answer for.  Dealership does not know why and I did not get an answer from a query I sent to Toyota UK.

Availability/Spec is set by the factory and in the UK is largely dictated by Tax on emissions levels, where a wheel is not available it is usually because the addition will impact Co2 figures 

1.2L Hatchback

Icon: - TRK as standard - SW is an option

Icon Tech: - TRK as standard - SW is an option

Design: - TRK as standard - SW is an option

Design with Pan Roof: - TRK as standard - SW is an option

1.8L Hybrid Hatchback

Icon: - TRK as standard - SW is an option

Icon Tech: - TRK as standard - SW is an option

Design: - TRK as standard - SW is an option

Design with Pan Roof: - TRK as standard - SW is an option

Excel: - Only available with TRK

2.0L Hybrid Hatchback

Design: - SW as standard - TRK is an option

Design with Pan Roof: - Only available with SW

1.2L Touring Sport

Icon: - Only available with SW

Icon Tech: - Only available with SW

Design: - Only available with SW

1.8L Hybrid Touring Sports

Icon: - SW as standard - TRK is an option

Icon Tech: - SW as standard - TRK is an option

Design: - Only available with TRK

2.0L Hybrid Touring Sports

Excel: -Only available with SW

Any one who has a Hatchback with TRK can order a Spare wheel kit from Toyota as an accessory which include the wheel, tyre, tools and all the trims required to change the boot from low floor to high floor. Part numbers are:

GBNGA-SPARE-CO £100 +VAT

GBNGA-SPARE-C1 £340 +VAT

Toyota obviously say that it is best to order the car with Spare wheel as it is a FOC option where possible

Note the kit does not fit 2.0 HB

• Like 4

My Avensis space saver steel wheel does not accept the normal wheel nuts for the alloys, very well. The alloys nuts are the same thread but have a parallel section that fits tightly into the wheel hole and locates the wheel precisely.The steel wheel is made for nuts with a small dome end and there is no hole for the nut to enter. The alloys nut on the steel wheel does not locate the steel rim very well, ok for a mile or two but not any distance. Other models may be different but you have to have to actually uses the space saver to be aware of this. I got a set of steel wheel nuts for about a fiver off e bay, probably pennies from a scrap yard.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, sproutdreamer said:

My Avensis space saver steel wheel does not accept the normal wheel nuts for the alloys, very well. The alloys nuts are the same thread but have a parallel section that fits tightly into the wheel hole and locates the wheel precisely.The steel wheel is made for nuts with a small dome end and there is no hole for the nut to enter. The alloys nut on the steel wheel does not locate the steel rim very well, ok for a mile or two but not any distance. Other models may be different but you have to have to actually uses the space saver to be aware of this. I got a set of steel wheel nuts for about a fiver off e bay, probably pennies from a scrap yard.

The Corolla wheel nuts seem to have a small dome end, a larger dome and a spacing washer. So should be good for both (I hope!)

The 1.8 Design i just got has the spare wheel.  The space is lacking but i'd rather have a spare wheel than an inflation kit.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, bewA said:

The 1.8 Design i just got has the spare wheel.  The space is lacking but i'd rather have a spare wheel than an inflation kit.

Is it the hatchback?  If so a spare wheel is available for delivery, it's the Touring Sport that you only get the option of the TRK!

Just seen your post 'It's here', and the photo of a hatchback so yes a spare wheel is available at no cost to you!

Edited by Sidrat
Correction

Is it the hatchback?  If so a spare wheel is available for delivery, it's the Touring Sport that you only get the option of the TRK!
Ah!
Yes I have the hatchback!

Sorry to hijack this tread. Does anyone have the 2.0 Design HB? Does it come with a spare wheel? I assumed not as it has the Battery in the boot...

Cheers

3 minutes ago, chicken_george said:

Sorry to hijack this tread. Does anyone have the 2.0 Design HB? Does it come with a spare wheel? I assumed not as it has the battery in the boot...

Cheers

The answer is above by @Devon Aygo...

I can see the list, doesn't mean it's correct. I'd like to know from somebody that has a 2.0 design HB.

10 minutes ago, chicken_george said:

I can see the list, doesn't mean it's correct. I'd like to know from somebody that has a 2.0 design HB.

Devon Aygo, who posted the list, works for a Toyota dealer, so will be correct.

I've been told by Toyota UK (in-directly) that it doesn't and that it has a TRK!

On 7/18/2019 at 8:37 PM, Devon Aygo said:

2.0L Hybrid Hatchback

6 minutes ago, chicken_george said:

I've been told by Toyota UK (in-directly) that it doesn't and that it has a TRK!

Which trim are you looking at?

I appreciate you copy and pasting the list. I've seen it when I scroll up..... The 2.0 Design which I've stated twice.

I'm not in any rush. I'm happy to wait to see if somebody has physically checked.

12 hours ago, chicken_george said:

I appreciate you copy and pasting the list. I've seen it when I scroll up..... The 2.0 Design which I've stated twice.

I'm not in any rush. I'm happy to wait to see if somebody has physically checked.

You could always ring a dealer in the meantime? 🙂

11 hours ago, bewA said:

You could always ring a dealer in the meantime? 🙂

Because I don't trust mine. The sales guy that took me for a test drive hadn't got a clue.

Apparently,

1. There are sensors in the 'doors' that sense obstacles next to the car. (They're on the wheel arches).

2. The engine noise I could hear whist driving wasn't the engine, it was the CVT.

3. I could most definitely use Miracast for using Waze.

There are other dealers :-)

I didn't think the CVT made a noise, it's the engine producing the sound.
I would think it's no different than a manual gearbox, if you're making the engine work more it produces more power/revs/sound until you change gear.
The CVT does the same (without using gears obviously). You could say the engine makes more noise because of the CVT but I personally would agree with the salesperson's statement.

You can ring any dealer anywhere and go to any dealer if you want to, if it's worth it.

Availability/Spec is set by the factory and in the UK is largely dictated by Tax on emissions levels, where a wheel is not available it is usually because the addition will impact Co2 figures 

Any one who has a Hatchback with TRK can order a Spare wheel kit from Toyota as an accessory which include the wheel, tyre, tools and all the trims required to change the boot from low floor to high floor. Part numbers are:

GBNGA-SPARE-CO £100 +VAT

GBNGA-SPARE-C1 £340 +VAT

Toyota obviously say that it is best to order the car with Spare wheel as it is a FOC option where possible

Note the kit does not fit 2.0 HB

My Icon Tech came with a tyre repair kit but we agreed with the dealer that they would provide a spare wheel. At first they said this wasn't possible because Toyota hadn't provided a part number. Then, after I had contacted Toyota directly, they ordered the necessary kit and I went to the garage a couple of weeks later to have it fitted. What I thought would be a ten minute job didn't happen because they couldn't work out how to fit the spare tyre kit they received and said they needed to order more parts. I'm still waiting.....

On 7/26/2019 at 10:32 PM, chicken_george said:

I am interested to know this as well. My understanding was that the 2.0 Design hatch was not available with a spare wheel. My dealer said there was no room for it but was wrong on other things. I ordered the 1.8 Design hatch with pan roof and no cost spare wheel option.

• 1 month later...

2.0L Hybrid Hatchback

Just picked my car up today. This info is incorrect. No SW as standard!

On 7/27/2019 at 10:04 PM, chicken_george said:

Because I don't trust mine. The sales guy that took me for a test drive hadn't got a clue.

Apparently,

1. There are sensors in the 'doors' that sense obstacles next to the car. (They're on the wheel arches).

2. The engine noise I could hear whist driving wasn't the engine, it was the CVT.

3. I could most definitely use Miracast for using Waze.

It's pretty endemic. My dealer told me the car didn't have LED lights. He extolled the virtues of keyless entry despite me pointing out that I already had it on my Jazz. Best thing with salespeople is to ignore them.

• Haha 1