Sign in to follow this  
Korgrocker

Spare Wheel for Corolla 2019

10 minutes ago, FROSTYBALLS said:

Did you reply by pm to Devon Aygo's post of 5/9/19.?

I did.

9 minutes ago, FROSTYBALLS said:

Not just about fuel saving - emissions are also a factor.

Are they not linked?

My dealer gave me the option during the sale to have a TRK or a spare wheel.  It was also made clear i would loose boot space if i went for a spare wheel so my decision to go for a spare wheel was well informed.

In hindsight i think i would have preferred the boot space however if a tyre gets damaged in a way that a TRK wouldn't help then overall i'd rather just have the spare wheel!

On 9/8/2019 at 9:33 PM, FROSTYBALLS said:

Not just about fuel saving - emissions are also a factor.

Probably not much I'd have thought. Weight is generally only a factor when accelerating. There will also be a slight increase in rolling resistance. But compared to the weight of a car and its occupants it seems unlikely it would have much impact at any time. We're talking about another - perhaps - 20kg? So that's ~1.4% of the vehicle weight. So is presumably responsible for an additional 1.4% of emissions or fuel consumption, at most.

The idea that removing the spare wheel saves fuel or reduces emissions has never made much sense to me. I think it's more about reducing the manufacturing costs. Penny pinching basically. It's just that my personal experience means that I don't care much either way. In fact it's better because now I only have to maintain four tyres instead of having to muck about emptying my boot to check a fifth that I never use.

23 hours ago, chicken_george said:

It would help if the Toyota website facts are correct. Two sources told me I would get a space saver as standard. I didn't. 

Thanks for the chassis number, double checked today and your car was ordered as and is considered as having a spare wheel however when i look at your car on the parts catalogue it says no spare, what has your dealer said have you spoken to Toyota?

Capture.PNG

I’ve set my dealer a challenge (well 2 actually). First was to get a tow bar fitted to my Excel HB, as Toyota don’t list one for it (only the ST apparently). The local fitter they use said no problem - in my case it’s only for a cycle carrier. 

Second, and relevant to this thread, is to see if they can fit a space-saver in place of the trk. I test drove a 2.0l Design, and that had one, so although it’s not officially available for the Excel I’m hoping they’ll sort it for me. We shall see. 

ETA: Just had a call from them - yes, it can be done - for £640!!  That’s the cost of remodelling the boot to remove the trk and allow the wheel to fit. Hmmm, well it’ll be eBay or the like for a suitable space saver, and have a look see myself at what mods might be required. And if it’s too complicated I’ll just keep the spare in the boot!

Edited by rafletcher

On 9/16/2019 at 10:43 AM, rafletcher said:

I’ve set my dealer a challenge (well 2 actually). First was to get a tow bar fitted to my Excel HB, as Toyota don’t list one for it (only the ST apparently). The local fitter they use said no problem - in my case it’s only for a cycle carrier. 

Second, and relevant to this thread, is to see if they can fit a space-saver in place of the trk. I test drove a 2.0l Design, and that had one, so although it’s not officially available for the Excel I’m hoping they’ll sort it for me. We shall see. 

ETA: Just had a call from them - yes, it can be done - for £640!!  That’s the cost of remodelling the boot to remove the trk and allow the wheel to fit. Hmmm, well it’ll be eBay or the like for a suitable space saver, and have a look see myself at what mods might be required. And if it’s too complicated I’ll just keep the spare in the boot!

Let us know how you get on, maybe post a picture? It is mad that there is no spare wheel. I had a puncture not to long before I got my new Excel, last car was a SAAB. AA man was really pleased that I had a spare wheel, and said the number of cars now with a trk is increasing. No good unless you notice a nail in your tyre on your driveway before you set off, then you stand a chance of a temporary repair using the trk..

For piece of mind, £640 may just be worth it, depending on your view.

58 minutes ago, Timmon said:

and said the number of cars now with a trk is increasing.

9 out of 10 new apparently

3 hours ago, Timmon said:

Let us know how you get on, maybe post a picture? It is mad that there is no spare wheel. I had a puncture not to long before I got my new Excel, last car was a SAAB. AA man was really pleased that I had a spare wheel, and said the number of cars now with a trk is increasing. No good unless you notice a nail in your tyre on your driveway before you set off, then you stand a chance of a temporary repair using the trk..

For piece of mind, £640 may just be worth it, depending on your view.

I've decided to wait and see - but I have in parallel purchased an aftermarket space-saver kit, so I do have a spare, albeit one with limited range, and that can go in the boot / back seat if I'm straying any distance from home. I'll re-assess (given that the workshop work can be done any time at the local dealer if I do eventually get the work done) once I've seen the  car in the flesh and decided whether or not I can make the necessary mods neatly. 

One other reason (apart from the fact it ruins the tyre) for not using the TRK is that it can also damage the TPMS sensor.  And the TRK need regular replacement.