Do Not Sell My Personal Information

MMT...or Not?

sproutdreamer

I have a 2008 T25 Auto Avensis 1.8 which has the semi auto box. Is this the dreaded MMT box or not? I like the car but do not like the sound and expense of fixing MMT problems.

A picture. Much as I dislike the thought of the EPB on the T27 it still looks a better bet than fixing a MMT fault!

image.thumb.jpeg.8f1a99bc8c26defadb0f455fa70c3dd6.jpeg

As far as I can tell the MMT does not have a P park position and the + is at the bottom so I think mine is a Tiptronic transmission, with a torque convertor and non of the nasty multi clutches of the MMT. So good then-that the T25 is not MMT- have I got that right?

iirc it's a 4-speed torque converter auto. It's not Tiptronic (that's a Porsche tm).

A 1.8 Auto T25 Avensis uses the U341E Auto transmission see Here 

Hi, not trying to be nasty in any way what so ever I would never buy a Toyota with a MMT gear box, they go wrong apparently more than most other types and exceeding expensive to repair.

Mike.

7 hours ago, Mike169 said:

Hi, not trying to be nasty in any way what so ever I would never buy a Toyota with a MMT gear box, they go wrong apparently more than most other types and exceeding expensive to repair.

Mike.

I was chatting to an AA recovery driver a while back and he said the only time he gets called out to a Toyota its always a failed MMT gearbox/clutch!

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Heidfirst said:

iirc it's a 4-speed torque converter auto. It's not Tiptronic (that's a Porsche tm).

Thanks, yes TM by Porche but licenced to lots of other car makers who call it by different names

13 hours ago, Devon Aygo said:

Thanks for the link but I cannot open it?

Good so not MMT then!

On 7/10/2019 at 10:51 PM, Devon Aygo said:

Got it-strange it seems to be fully automatic with hydraulic "clutches" but still refers to it as Multimode Automatic Transmission in the opening description. Thank you very much for finding the link!

I just wondered if you couldn't have looked under the bonnet for an easily accessible automatic transmission fluid dipstick to give you a clue. I quite liked my Astra semi-auto, but was always worried that the clutch would go and it would be an expensive hassle to replace. It never became an issue, though. I can't remember if they called that one Tiptronic or not, but it runs a bell.

7 hours ago, paul9 said:

I just wondered if you couldn't have looked under the bonnet for an easily accessible automatic transmission fluid dipstick to give you a clue. I quite liked my Astra semi-auto, but was always worried that the clutch would go and it would be an expensive hassle to replace. It never became an issue, though. I can't remember if they called that one Tiptronic or not, but it runs a bell.

The issue is not the hydraulic drive bit, it is the multitude of the electro & mechanical clutches in the MMT rather than the hydraulic "clutches" in my drive and the expense and difficulty of fixing such a complex setup in the MMT. I think!

This is NOT an MMT 'box.  Its an Aisin U341E electronically-controlled four-speed automatic transmission with lock-up torque converter.  The gearbox has a feature whereby you can manually shift the gears up and down using the +/- positions - a kind of 'Tiptronic' mode.

These transmissions have been used in many Toyotas (and some other brands) and are an extremely reliable transmission if you keep them filled with clean ATF. Use only Toyota T-IV (also sold as Aisin 3309) ATF.