Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Hybrid Air Conditioning

Mick F

Update:

The airflow is definitely better.  The outside temps have gone down to 18degC and lower, and now it's wet as well as cool.  ACC set to warm, maybe 20degC, you can still feel the extra airflow.  Mrs Mick F is happy, so that's always a good thing.

Went to Snows Toyota Plympton this morning for the aircon checkup and leak test.  They've found a leak (Brilliant!) between the condenser and something else - sorry, I can't remember what!  The car is now booked back there for Thursday next week for the fix under warranty.

Meanwhile, leak notwithstanding, the whole system is tons better than it was even when we bought the car @ 3yrs old, and no doubt working as it should.

Mick.

Thanks for the update. Well that's good news I guess, well done to the dealer. 

The car is now in for repair, and I'm home via their curtesy car - Yaris Hybrid.  (Great!)

Just thought of this ...................... I only complained about the aircon because it wasn't working.  They charged me £69.95 to recharge it ................... but there was a leak there all along, and they are now repairing it under warranty.  I reckon I've wasted £69.95, and I'll be mentioning this when I collect the car later this afternoon.

Do I have a leg to stand on here?  Will they reimburse me?

Mick.

I’d say they owe you a refund. 

• Like 1

I agree. Some while back Toyota actually used to have in print (on their web site) that (chargeable) repairs were diagnosed and repaired correctly first time or there was no charge should it subsequently fail.

Yours was faulty under warranty all along and they have admitted they found a leak (which perhaps they weren't really expecting in all fairness to them) and so they should now refund the original charge imo.

If they won't agree to that on the spot then remain calm and polite and simply ask for the address of their registered head office as you would like to complain over this in writing. I can't really imagine you will have a problem tbh but it helps to be prepared.

Good luck.

• Like 1

Car home, and all done.  All seems fine.  Car washed and cleaned internally too.

I mentioned to Andy, the service reception chap, about the issue, and he agreed with me.  He'll be talking to the warranty people, and they'll get back to me.  Hopefully, they'll want my bank details for a BACS refund ................ maybe they have my card details on file from when I paid last, and do it that way.

I'll give them until this time next week, and if I've heard nothing, I'll prod them into action.

Mick.

That all sounds promising, hope it all goes smoothly. 

The car is now in for repair, and I'm home via their curtesy car - Yaris Hybrid.  (Great!)
Just thought of this ...................... I only complained about the aircon because it wasn't working.  They charged me £69.95 to recharge it ................... but there was a leak there all along, and they are now repairing it under warranty.  I reckon I've wasted £69.95, and I'll be mentioning this when I collect the car later this afternoon.
Do I have a leg to stand on here?  Will they reimburse me?
Mick.

I had a similar problem with a radiator on a previous car, they took the cost of the coolant change, after they found out the radiator was leaking and I had that replaced.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Result! 😀

They phoned yesterday afternoon, and have refunded my account.

Excellent!

Mick.

• 10 months later...

My 2014 yaris hybrid is throwing warmer air on passenger side compared to driver. Gas pressure checked and pollen filter changed with no improvement. Any suggestions please? 

4 hours ago, Salmanislam said:

My 2014 yaris hybrid is throwing warmer air on passenger side compared to driver. Gas pressure checked and pollen filter changed with no improvement. Any suggestions please? 

Is it the dual zone type, is passenger setting higher than drivers?

Were the system pressures checked using proper equipment and with the system running, or was it just a static pressure check which is not always necessarily conclusive proof the system has sufficient refrigerant charge.

Yes its dual zone. Temperature setting are same on both sides

pressure was checked by Halfords guy. You think thats not good enough check?

If he checked the pressures when the system was running and interpreted the results correctly then it should be good enough whereas if he just measured the static pressure at rest then that alone is not conclusive proof.

For example... think of a can of butane gas. It doesn't matter whether the can is full or almost empty, the pressure inside is the same. Refrigerant is just the same, the static resting pressure doesn't tell us how much of the stuff is in there, it only tells us that at rest there is enough for there to be some in liquid form and the rest existing as vapour, which is the pressure we measure. 

A system that is low on charge can have correct static resting pressure but have insufficient refrigerant to circulate around all the parts.