Do Not Sell My Personal Information

3 Beeps

PACorolla

Having had a 2L Hybrid hatchback (excell) for a month i have just about got used to all the knobs, switches, bings & bongs. Most of the noises it makes i hav managed to tame, suppress or control but for some reason  i get an alarm with three bongs. Nothing shows on the display and i am not aware of any problem. Its the same sound as when lane assist is on and you cross the line without indicating. But it occurs if lane assist is off.

I have googled "Toyota 3 bongs" without success.  

Any suggestions welcome!

Have you checked the online owners manual? It should have that info?

Could it be speed cameras?

It double beeps for speed cameras, and multiple beeps if you get a bit close to something, not heard a triple beep 

What is the interval between beeps?

3 hours ago, furtula said:

Have you checked the online owners manual? It should have that info?

Could it be speed cameras?

Not speed cameras they show up on sat nav when sounding .

Looked in manual but could not find anything.

2 hours ago, furtula said:

What is the interval between beeps?

Its just beep, beep, beep.

All over in about 2-3 seconds.

Could it be the notification that EV mode is no longer available because the Battery is too low? I vaguely recall from the couple of times I tested EV mode that it does make several beeps when it drops out due to low Battery charge. If so then I feel obliged to point out that due to the losses incurred in charging the Battery from the engine (which for most of us is where most of the charge comes from) it's actually a bad idea to try and force the car into electric mode. I'm actually coming around to the idea that this applies to 'warp stealth mode' as well as using the EV button. Several online pundits have suggested that 'just drive it' is more efficient than trying to make it run on electric at every opportunity and it makes a lot of sense.

its not the speed limit/lane keep beeps is it?

10 minutes ago, Chattacks said:

its not the speed limit/lane keep beeps is it?

Dont think so

Speed limit is one beep.

Lane beep is switched off.

Hi, do you have anything on the passenger seat like a case, shopping etc? Mike.

1 hour ago, Mike169 said:

Hi, do you have anything on the passenger seat like a case, shopping etc? Mike.

Only a passenger🌝

Hi Phil.

Does your passenger wear their seatbelt? Mike.

2 hours ago, Mike169 said:

Hi Phil.

Does your passenger wear their seatbelt? Mike.

Yes

Mine beeped several times last night and it took a while to identify. It turned out that my rucksack on the back seat was triggering the seat belt warning. It doesn't normally do that. At the time of the beeps it also shows a row of 'people figures' on the dash with one in red. I did notice that for a while as I was in rush hour traffic and paying more attention to surrounding traffic.

6 hours ago, AndrueC said:

Mine beeped several times last night and it took a while to identify. It turned out that my rucksack on the back seat was triggering the seat belt warning. It doesn't normally do that. At the time of the beeps it also shows a row of 'people figures' on the dash with one in red. I did notice that for a while as I was in rush hour traffic and paying more attention to surrounding traffic.

Thank you AndrueC.

That is a possibility as over the last 3 days i have had no triple bongs and an empty back seat. But certainly multiple tripple bongs on tuesday when back seat was "well stocked". Will keep an eye on that as a possible cause. 

1 hour ago, PACorolla said:

Thank you AndrueC.

That is a possibility as over the last 3 days i have had no triple bongs and an empty back seat. But certainly multiple tripple bongs on tuesday when back seat was "well stocked". Will keep an eye on that as a possible cause. 

New Corolla has occupant sensors in all three rear seat positions anything heavy enough will make the car think there is someone sat in the back without a seatbelt on.

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks for all your comments.

I set up the Dashcam for audio and its actually 4 beeps!

Not items on seats.

Replaced keyfob battery-no change.

Have taken car to dealer with recordings and they contacted Toyota who claim it might be the satnav passing mobile speed camera locations that are no longer there. They have updated satnav software and we shall see if it works.

Mine dose loud beeps when near average speed cameras (yellow on a yellow pole) its strange as its louder than other beeps from the car.

I'm sure I've heard 3/4 beeps when you exceed the speed limit with cruise control on.

There's also beeps when you cross the lines without indicating when lane tracing is turned on.

The beeps I get for speed cameras are high pitched and quiet.

I think I get four beeps when I have the speed limiter* on and the car is going faster than that, typically when picking up speed a little going downhill.

*By speed limiter I mean normal urban roads where I have set a 30mph limit so I don't get busted for speeding. 

It's so useful to read about the various beeps and experiences of other owners here so I'm just adding my tuppence worth. It may not help the OP but it may be informative to some.

Still getting 4 beeps after satnav update.

Had it go off on 4 occasions on a 150mile journey and its the not happened in the following 3 days.

So its back to dealer for more diagnostics.

Strange but they cannot tell me what 4 beeps could mean despite having heard it from my recordings.

I can say for a fact that if you have cruise control enabled at 30 and the speed goes over because you're going down a hill you will get 4 beeps and the set speed on the display will go to a solid white box with the number in.

You get 3 beeps if you go over lines without indicating (LTA). When the lines aren't clear it can get confused as to where line is at the side of the road.

I have a Design for reference.

46 minutes ago, bewA said:

I can say for a fact that if you have cruise control enabled at 30 and the speed goes over because you're going down a hill you will get 4 beeps and the set speed on the display will go to a solid white box with the number in.

You get 3 beeps if you go over lines without indicating (LTA). When the lines aren't clear it can get confused as to where line is at the side of the road.

Thanks for that info. You are the first person to give light on four beeps.

I will give it a try. Also will look for solid white box. (Bit flat where i am at moment so will be a few days)

3 beeps i am ok with and dont use LTA unless its on dual carriage way or motorway as it seems to get easily confused by bus stops and other across the road markings. I did some checks and it seems to vary between 5 or 3 beeps but i think that may be between crossing the line and line missing. (Not to worried as its only used by me on well marked roads)

I have to say it would be nice if there was a beep & bong cross ref table   in the manual.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/10/2019 at 10:09 AM, bewA said:

I tried going downhill as you suggested.

Display was as you said but only got 2 beeps for above speed limit.

This is a clip of what is happening for the 4 beeps