Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Idleing

Patrick1234

Have a Toyota auris 2009 D4D 2l. The car would idle weirdly (wouldn't say rough because I have heard worse from different cars). The rev counter would show the idle and it would move between 800 to 900 rpm when warm.. can be heard slightly when cold but not as bad as when she is warm (normal temperature). The car has 100000 miles on the clock and the problem has recently started after the altenator has been changed.. so I'm thinking it could be that. The car runs 100%.. a few mates have told me that it is normal enough for a diesel engines, which is understandable. I have drive a petrol for 2 years so I have nothing really to compare it to.. what do yous think? Could it be related to the altenator or could it be something else? The coolant level is ok and the temperature is also ok.. oil is also ok. Thanks

After you replaced the alternator, and started the car for the first time, did you let it idle for 10 minutes, then took it for a short drive?

If not, disconnect for 15 minutes, reconnect, idle for 10 minutes, drive for a few miles.

1 minute ago, furtula said:

After you replaced the alternator, and started the car for the first time, did you let it idle for 10 minutes, then took it for a short drive?

If not, disconnect for 15 minutes, reconnect, idle for 10 minutes, drive for a few miles.

I connected the altenator and let her running a while then drove her for a mile or two..

Is it perhaps caused by the aircon compressor cutting in and out? It's normal on these for the compressor to continously cut in and out to regulate the interior temperature, and that in turn causes the engine revs to fluctuate up and down at idle.

On 7/10/2019 at 7:11 PM, furtula said:

On 7/11/2019 at 9:36 AM, yossarian247 said:

Is it perhaps caused by the aircon compressor cutting in and out? It's normal on these for the compressor to continously cut in and out to regulate the interior temperature, and that in turn causes the engine revs to fluctuate up and down at idle.

I still have the ideling issue and I think it could be the egr?? Could this be possible?? When the car is started cold it idles lumpy.. ie it jumps up and down slightly as discussed before..

Hi, have you got an OBD2 reader, they don't cost a lot, Amazon do a good selection to see if your car gives off any fault codes?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/s?k=obd2+reader&crid=T4JCYHL0FB2Y&sprefix=obd2%2Caps%2C215&ref=nb_sb_ss_i_1_4

Here's a few, I hope you can open the link ok.

Regards, Mike.

Had you measured the Battery voltage? Does the voltage fluctuate? 

1 minute ago, Perfection said:

Had you measured the battery voltage? Does the voltage fluctuate? 

Battery is ok 

I think you car idling behaviour is normal. On my diesel verso, when it's cold, and if i put the fan on, the idling speed would goes up to around 900. 

But if the engine is warm, the idling speed will remain constant at 800 even I turns fan on.

21 minutes ago, Perfection said:

I think you car idling behaviour is normal. On my diesel verso, when it's cold, and if i put the fan on, the idling speed would goes up to around 900. 

But if the engine is warm, the idling speed will remain constant at 800 even I turns fan on.

Once my car is cold and no electrics on in the car the car will have a lumpy idle (which it never had before).. the same when warm..