Sign in to follow this  
Extrovert

Toyota Estima buying guide / Opinions

Hi everyone 

I am looking to buy a Toyota estima 2006 model. This is the first time i will be buying a japanese import. I do not have any knowledge of these cars and I would be grateful if I can have some advice please. I have previously owned automatic ford s-max which i had to sell as spares or repairs due to gearbox error that cane up at 32000 miles.

List of my questions is as follows:

1. Should I buy 2006 or later model (new shape) or pre 2005 model? I personally like 2006 onwards shape?

2. Should I buy hybrid or non hybrid model?

3. Are there any known faults for 2006 onwards model including gearbox issues e.g. if gearbox Oil and filter not changed regularly, gearbox will fail.

4. Whats the 2.4 litre mpg as compared to a hybrid model?

5. Should i look for any specific things when buying an estima?

The car I am interested in is this https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.co.uk%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F323838261736

Is it a good deal?

Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks

Hi there Rohail, my Estima is a 2002 so couldn't comment on later vehicles or hybrids. Had my car three and a half years only engine fault was an 02 sensor which was a minor problem. I have also had front discs and pads renewed. Not had any gearbox problems touch  wood make sure to check transmission fluid it wants to be a nice clear pink colour. If it has a Japanese radio and you want to change it to an English one you might loose your front and reversing cameras something to be aware of some people have had that problem. 

The 2.4 engine has a timing chain the 3.0 litre v6 has a timing belt. Just like any other car have a good look over it see, if it's been undersealed have a good test drive.

Thanks very much for your advice. It appears that pre 2006 model is more popular.is it because similar model was also launched in the UK therefore parts availability is better?

I will certainly test drive it and will look carefully for any signs but just jot aware of any known faults. Thanks again.

Hi, not heard of any real problem areas providing there serviced regularly they are a very reliable car. The Estima is a lovely car nice to drive and very comfortable, most people who have one love them as I do. Good luck with the one your looking at.

Cheers. Viewing booked for Saturday if its still available till then. I will update the thread.

Seems a keen price and generally looks good, as most imports do.

Though you need to check out/factor in the axle/bushes issues mentioned in the MOT history.

There's a little to worry about with these vehicles...solid and reliable..and like Tony, I've had my Esti for over 3 years now and it's proved utterly reliable and so comfortable and a joy to drive.

Personally I'd leave the hybrid alone unless I could get a newer one and not be perhaps so concerned with Battery worries.

You really shouldn't have any autobox concerns but it's always wise to check the level and condition of the ATF (when warm and running engine).the gear changes should be pretty seamless.

If it isn't undersealed it will be worth doing..and it looks as though the head unit has already been updated.

The 2.4 has 4 O2 sensors so there always a chance that one might go belly up...but that's minor and a simple replacement...but it has chain drive so no timing belt issues to be concerned about.

My V6  has a cam belt but was changed three years (15k miles) ago so I've got at least the same period again before I need to think about that.

Good luck with the viewing...hope it's all you want it to be...let us know how you get on.

ps...don't worry about spares...the vast majority of stuff you might need for servicing etc is widely available in the UK

I couldn't go to the viewing today but i spoke to a friend of mine who was in the trade and used to import the vehicle. He suggested that i get a copy of the Japanese auction report which he would be able to translate for me and it will tell the condition of the car. The seller who initially indicated that he imports these cars said he doesn't have the auction report because the car was taken as a part x. 

But your advice has put my mind at ease and i am more comfortable buying an imported estima either the one mentioned above or another one. Hopefully this thread will cone in handy for any hesitant buyers in the future. Thank you all.