Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Toyota Estima buying guide / Opinions

Extrovert

Hi everyone 

I am looking to buy a Toyota estima 2006 model. This is the first time i will be buying a japanese import. I do not have any knowledge of these cars and I would be grateful if I can have some advice please. I have previously owned automatic ford s-max which i had to sell as spares or repairs due to gearbox error that cane up at 32000 miles.

List of my questions is as follows:

1. Should I buy 2006 or later model (new shape) or pre 2005 model? I personally like 2006 onwards shape?

2. Should I buy hybrid or non hybrid model?

3. Are there any known faults for 2006 onwards model including gearbox issues e.g. if gearbox oil and filter not changed regularly, gearbox will fail.

4. Whats the 2.4 litre mpg as compared to a hybrid model?

5. Should i look for any specific things when buying an estima?

The car I am interested in is this https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.co.uk%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F323838261736

Is it a good deal?

Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks

Hi there Rohail, my Estima is a 2002 so couldn't comment on later vehicles or hybrids. Had my car three and a half years only engine fault was an 02 sensor which was a minor problem. I have also had front discs and pads renewed. Not had any gearbox problems touch  wood make sure to check transmission fluid it wants to be a nice clear pink colour. If it has a Japanese radio and you want to change it to an English one you might loose your front and reversing cameras something to be aware of some people have had that problem. 

The 2.4 engine has a timing chain the 3.0 litre v6 has a timing belt. Just like any other car have a good look over it see, if it's been undersealed have a good test drive.

• Like 1

Thanks very much for your advice. It appears that pre 2006 model is more popular.is it because similar model was also launched in the UK therefore parts availability is better?

I will certainly test drive it and will look carefully for any signs but just jot aware of any known faults. Thanks again.

Hi, not heard of any real problem areas providing there serviced regularly they are a very reliable car. The Estima is a lovely car nice to drive and very comfortable, most people who have one love them as I do. Good luck with the one your looking at.

Cheers. Viewing booked for Saturday if its still available till then. I will update the thread.

Seems a keen price and generally looks good, as most imports do.

Though you need to check out/factor in the axle/bushes issues mentioned in the MOT history.

There's a little to worry about with these vehicles...solid and reliable..and like Tony, I've had my Esti for over 3 years now and it's proved utterly reliable and so comfortable and a joy to drive.

Personally I'd leave the hybrid alone unless I could get a newer one and not be perhaps so concerned with Battery worries.

You really shouldn't have any autobox concerns but it's always wise to check the level and condition of the ATF (when warm and running engine).the gear changes should be pretty seamless.

If it isn't undersealed it will be worth doing..and it looks as though the head unit has already been updated.

The 2.4 has 4 O2 sensors so there always a chance that one might go belly up...but that's minor and a simple replacement...but it has chain drive so no timing belt issues to be concerned about.

My V6  has a cam belt but was changed three years (15k miles) ago so I've got at least the same period again before I need to think about that.

Good luck with the viewing...hope it's all you want it to be...let us know how you get on.

ps...don't worry about spares...the vast majority of stuff you might need for servicing etc is widely available in the UK

I couldn't go to the viewing today but i spoke to a friend of mine who was in the trade and used to import the vehicle. He suggested that i get a copy of the Japanese auction report which he would be able to translate for me and it will tell the condition of the car. The seller who initially indicated that he imports these cars said he doesn't have the auction report because the car was taken as a part x. 

But your advice has put my mind at ease and i am more comfortable buying an imported estima either the one mentioned above or another one. Hopefully this thread will cone in handy for any hesitant buyers in the future. Thank you all. 

• 11 months later...

Looking at a 2004 model lucida and wondering if that registration date is when it was made or if/when it was imported?     Are they all imports? 

Edited by Titchums1
Going to see it tomorrow

All Lucida and Estimas are imports. The Estima was sold in Europe as the Previa until 2006.

Imports into the UK require proof of when the vehicle manufactured (foreign registration certificate, letter from the manufacturer, or similar). The DVLA will provide a registration number representing the year of manufacture.

As above...if it already has a UK  reg. number, then that will reflect the actual year of manufacture...NOT when the vehicle was imported.

Thanks.     I am really considering taking a long drive and parting with all my money for a 2004 2.2 td 4wd g model as I just love it.           I'm scared it will be a money pit and don't know what to look for...      

• 1 month later...

I don't have estima yet. But the 2.2 diese one I am sure is the British version. I heard that they can get turbo problems. The petrol one can drink oil but it depends on the engine number. There is a group on Facebook that is very helpful for topic like that one. 

On 7/7/2020 at 8:40 AM, Titchums1 said:

I am really considering taking a long drive and parting with all my money for a 2004 2.2 td 4wd g model

18 minutes ago, Siemensol said:

But the 2.2 diese one I am sure is the British version

The Lucida was never officially exported to the UK. The Estima was exported as the Previa. So any Lucidas or Estimas in the UK are grey imports.

Why diesel.??....maybe you could consider a 2.4 petrol.?...and I wouldn't worry about any oil burning comments.

The petrol Estima is pretty bulletproof.

I have claimed this vehicle for very nearly 16 years and plan to save it for at any rate one more year. It does all that you need however isn't planned as an eager driver's vehicle. I bought it in January 2003 - first proprietor on import. With three more youthful youngsters at the time it appeared to be colossal inside - it has contracted as they have become more seasoned and actually now ought to be considered as an entirely agreeable six seater on the off chance that you are conveying adolescents or more established. That said we have voyaged several miles with seven of us and our vacation gear inside on numerous events, alongside evacuating the seats, moving two enormous conifers in areas to the nearby tip, moving another's home with bigger things out through the huge moon rooftop and in any event, recuperating a stalled motorbike inside, we have utilized it as a multi reason vehicle MPV 30 - 35 mpg is the thing that you will get whatever you do, town, blended, long range with travelers and baggage (the individuals who sell on certain sites expressing 40-50 are having a giggle so be cautioned. I have fastidiously kept up it during possession, last tally was an aggregate of 31 oil and channel changes, the various channels, liquids cam belt and pressure unit changed when required, all parts show up still promptly open. have consistently utilized authentic parts or Blueprint by doing so you won't turn out badly. I did on one event buy a wheel bearing from an alternate  jdmsportclassics source and thought twice about it purchasing an OEM part before long and have the activity re-done. Costly fixes have been the diesel siphon, it gets exceptionally hot being on head of the motor beneath the front seats with restricted if any cooling wind stream. That said worth doing as the vehicle has forged ahead or years after the fix. While doing the cam belt consistently do the tensioner - bogus economy not to - builds the expense however gives full consolation.

• Like 1