Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Gen 6 Celica GT 2.0 Red - Paint Code Confusion

Asemblance

Hi All,

I've been trying to order a touchup paint pen for a few chips/scratches on my Red 1997 Celica GT. However I'm seeing a lot of conflicting information and have had a couple of false starts!

First off, in the service book the code is written as '3L3 Rosso'. But this doesn't tie in with anything else I've read online.

Most sites seem to suggest that the only red the 1997 celica was available in was '3L2' - But some call it 'Rennaissance Red' and some call it 'Super Red'. Does anyone know why this is? Can you have two different colour paints with the same codes?

Anyhow I first bought a Halfords touchup pen (which was a bad decision, clearly nowehere near, much brighter red). I then went online and ordered a 3L2 touch-up paint pen from 'Motornuts', which I've now tested and comes up way too dark. The results shown in the picture below..

Any advice would be much appreciated!

Paint test photo 3L2 Labelled.jpg

The paint name is irrelevant - it is the paint code that is important. Eg my 2012 Auris had Pure White paintwork - code 040 - which is also known as Super White.

One of your VIN plates should have the correct colour code - under CLR/TRM

Thanks @FROSTYBALLS - Just checked the VIN seems pretty clear it should be 3L2. Surprised how far off the supposedly matching paint is.. Will return it I think.

Celica VIN Plate reduced 2.jpg

On 7/10/2019 at 11:36 PM, Asemblance said:

Thanks @FROSTYBALLS - Just checked the VIN seems pretty clear it should be 3L2. Surprised how far off the supposedly matching paint is.. Will return it I think.

Celica VIN Plate reduced 2.jpg

Also bare in mind your 97 Celica is 22 years old and so is the paint, unless it has been stored in a dark room the colour of the car will no longer be the same shade it was when new.