Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Rear Brake Pads Replacement

Coolissimo

Hi , I am asking for an advice, as I have to replace my rear brake pads, on my Avensis Estate D4D 2012 , it has an original Toyota brake pad, but seems that it is very dusty, my wheels are always caked in dust, and hard to get off the wheels. Was wondering if someone could advice me on a good rear brake pads, or ones better then the OEM. And where I can find a good deal for it. 

Thanks for the answer.

Had these EBC on my Kia and hardly any dust came out, not cheap but long lasting.
Mine was from their Ultimax range. No affiliation just good product imho

https://www.ebcbrakeshop.co.uk/

Sent from my Mi A2 Lite using Tapatalk

• Like 2

I think it is age related if the pads are originals. What are the condition of the discs and pads. Are they worn with scored discs and are the pads low? Try cleaning the brakes and wheels with suitable solutions and brushes. How often do you clean the car and driving conditions, may affect how dirty the wheels get.

Brake dust is normal, unless you have a brake drum, these can get dirty inside, and rusty on the outside. But for alloys you need to buy an alloy wheel cleaner, tyres can be cleaned with washing up liquid, than dressing, than one last spray to protect the wheel like a sealant,  all sorts of cleaning products for wheels. You can get an alloy wheel cleaner brush for a couple of pounds to help.

EBC ULTIMAX SERIES really good pads, I personally will combine them with Brembo discs, they have some series with very good coating against rust, and they look good too. 

it could actually be dust from surface corrosion being cleaned off the rear discs rather than off the pads, particularly if the car sits on the street  & unused for any length of time. Because the rears do so little of the braking corrosion can build up more on them than the fronts.

I never had any problems with the oem pads on my 2012 T27 & so far none either on my 2017. I don't find brake dust hard to get off the wheels either (but I do use 1 of these www.evanscycles.com/muc-off-wheel-component-brush-EV148117? & https://www.amazon.co.uk/Turtle-Wax-52811-Redline-Restorer/dp/B01B4Y8HQ4 or similar).

On my T25 where I wasn't happy with the oem braking system I upgraded to Ferodo Premier pads & MTEC grooved discs.

5 hours ago, Konrad C said:

I think it is age related if the pads are originals. What are the condition of the discs and pads. Are they worn with scored discs and are the pads low? Try cleaning the brakes and wheels with suitable solutions and brushes. How often do you clean the car and driving conditions, may affect how dirty the wheels get.

Hi Konrad, I think the pads are the originals that came with the car, and they are pretty worn , that is why I need to change them, I often clean the car, 1 time in 2 weeks or so. I detail the car to.The disks seems to be okay a bit rust on the outsider circle, and the  yellow color. 

On 7/11/2019 at 3:46 PM, Shavestick said:

Had these EBC on my Kia and hardly any dust came out, not cheap but long lasting.
Mine was from their Ultimax range. No affiliation just good product imho

https://www.ebcbrakeshop.co.uk/

Hi Shavestick, Thanks for the answer

2 hours ago, m456an said:

Brake dust is normal, unless you have a brake drum, these can get dirty inside, and rusty on the outside. But for alloys you need to buy an alloy wheel cleaner, tyres can be cleaned with washing up liquid, than dressing, than one last spray to protect the wheel like a sealant,  all sorts of cleaning products for wheels. You can get an alloy wheel cleaner brush for a couple of pounds to help.

Hi m456an, thanks for the answer, I am aware of the products and how to detail a car. It is not that it is the break dust coming from the break pads.

45 minutes ago, TonyHSD said:

EBC ULTIMAX SERIES really good pads, I personally will combine them with brembo discs, they have some series with very good coating against rust, and they look good too. 

Hi Tony, are you saying Brembo in front and  EBC at the rear?

14 minutes ago, Heidfirst said:

it could actually be dust from surface corrosion being cleaned off the rear discs rather than off the pads, particularly if the car sits on the street  & unused for any length of time. Because the rears do so little of the braking corrosion can build up more on them than the fronts.

I never had any problems with the oem pads on my 2012 T27 & so far none either on my 2017. I don't find brake dust hard to get off the wheels either (but I do use 1 of these www.evanscycles.com/muc-off-wheel-component-brush-EV148117? & https://www.amazon.co.uk/Turtle-Wax-52811-Redline-Restorer/dp/B01B4Y8HQ4 or similar).

On my T25 where I wasn't happy with the oem braking system I upgraded to Ferodo Premier pads & MTEC grooved discs.

Hi Heidfirst ,  well I use the car everyday, it sits outside on the street.thanks for the answer. 

Hi Tony, are you saying Brembo in front and  EBC at the rear?
I think he meant use EBC pads and Brembo disks/rotors.

• Like 1

This is kind of interesting one would normally buy the same company for pads and rotors as they would test them together. So this combination would work better? Sorry for my ignorance as I do plan to do this job too one day, when I get the mot advisory.

54 minutes ago, m456an said:

This is kind of interesting one would normally buy the same company for pads and rotors as they would test them together. So this combination would work better? Sorry for my ignorance as I do plan to do this job too one day, when I get the mot advisory.

Well Brembo are well known brand, lots of exotic cars have it. I know they are good, but have not used them.

Hi,

yes Brembo discs because of the new rust proof coating and ebc ultimax pads because of their stopping properties and low dust, also they have special red abrasive paint coating to help with bed in process. Brake discs doesn’t need to be same brand as pads, as long as they are not some Chinese knock offs and are installed properly, any brand you use you will be fine. Problems with discs in most cases comes after poor workmanship during installation not because of the brand or price. Pads are most important and they should have a funny smell when box is opened, this smell will indicate if they are quality one or not. Also buying an EBC pads for normal driving , do not buy any different from Ultimax , they have some colourful series that are specifically made for racing cars and require to be heated up to have a good stopping power. 

Here some examples of both discs and pads: 

Brembo 09.A417.11 Front Brake Disc - Set of 2 https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00DZP2906/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_tai_y9CkDb0HVVHVP

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.co.uk%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F111504163984

this is a front set for Auris Hybrid, Prius Plus, RAV4 

• Thanks 1

The majority of brake discs these days are made in China, regardless of the name on them.  I wouldn't be surprised if it wasn't the same for pads. 

European legislation ECE R90 is there to ensure that the pads are as good as or better than the original equipment.  Any new pads supplied in Britain must have E11 in a circle stamped on the back.

If I'm fitting new discs, I try to fit pads from the same manufacturer but, if I can't get a brand match I'm happy to fit any of the other known brands.   Discs from Quinten Hazel, Mintex, Bendix, Comline, Juratek, Borg & Beck, Blue Print, Motaquip etc are all excellent brands and they all have matching pads. 

• Thanks 1

On 7/13/2019 at 1:34 PM, TonyHSD said:

Hi,

yes Brembo discs because of the new rust proof coating and ebc ultimax pads because of their stopping properties and low dust, also they have special red abrasive paint coating to help with bed in process. Brake discs doesn’t need to be same brand as pads, as long as they are not some Chinese knock offs and are installed properly, any brand you use you will be fine. Problems with discs in most cases comes after poor workmanship during installation not because of the brand or price. Pads are most important and they should have a funny smell when box is opened, this smell will indicate if they are quality one or not. Also buying an EBC pads for normal driving , do not buy any different from Ultimax , they have some colourful series that are specifically made for racing cars and require to be heated up to have a good stopping power. 

Here some examples of both discs and pads: 

Brembo 09.A417.11 Front Brake Disc - Set of 2 https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00DZP2906/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_tai_y9CkDb0HVVHVP

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.co.uk%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F111504163984

this is a front set for Auris Hybrid, Prius Plus, RAV4 

Thanks Tony

12 hours ago, Stivino said:

The majority of brake discs these days are made in China, regardless of the name on them.  I wouldn't be surprised if it wasn't the same for pads. 

European legislation ECE R90 is there to ensure that the pads are as good as or better than the original equipment.  Any new pads supplied in Britain must have E11 in a circle stamped on the back.

If I'm fitting new discs, I try to fit pads from the same manufacturer but, if I can't get a brand match I'm happy to fit any of the other known brands.   Discs from Quinten Hazel, Mintex, Bendix, Comline, Juratek, Borg & Beck, Blue Print, Motaquip etc are all excellent brands and they all have matching pads. 

Thanks Stivino, I was looking for a Rear break pad with low dust, as the originals from Toyota that I have there now, need replacement and makes to many dust.

That is a rear pad from my Avensis.  It isn't clear because the focus isn't very good but, inside the little square on the back of the pad it says Pagid.

So, it's an original Toyota pad for a Bosch caliper stamped Pagid.  You just don't know what you are getting.

Go to Toyota and get the originals.  Or buy Bosch and get the originals.  Or buy Pagid and get the originals.  The choice is yours.

All brake pads create dust, it's a by-product of the wearing process, you can't stop it.

ALIM0195.JPG

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

You are all overthinking this.

Firstly, Toyota don't make brake pads - like most Toyota parts, they are sourced from an outside supplier.

Secondly, there are really only two big friction material suppliers in Europe, they supply the friction material which is pressed and bonded to the backing plate.

Within the braking industry there is lots of rebranding, so the pads branded as 'Bosch' are manufactured by a third party - most likely Pagid.

The Pagid brand is owned by TMD Friction, which also owns the Textar, Mintex, Don and various other brands.

The upshot of this is just make sure that the components meet R90 standard (means they are within +/- 15% of OE spec). Personally I have never had a problem with TMD parts (Mintex, Pagid, branded).

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

I think everybody knows that Toyota and all the other car manufacturers don't make brake pads or, most of the other parts that go into building a car or any other product for that matter.

That is exactly the point that I was making in my post.

After all, they are put together in assembly plants, there is a clue in the name.