Do Not Sell My Personal Information

2019 RAV4 Tailgate fit/gap

Tomfromfife

Hi,

The gap between my tailgate and the roof on my 2019 RAV4 looks too large. Measuring with a micrometer shows the gap is 10.4 mm at the centre in,one with the sharks fin. This is affecting the amount of pressure on the rainwater seal between the body and the tailgate. When placing a piece of paper on the seal, and closing the tailgate, it takes very little effort to pull the paper out once closed. Does anyone else have this size gap on their RAV4 tailgate to roof?

Photo attached. Ignore the lines across the roof, it’s the garage door reflection.

Thanks

E75A5D4F-0001-4D6D-88B3-B67B6E6EE05F.jpeg

I managed to get along to the dealer and check the gap on the showroom RAV4 and the gap is the same. No surprise since they are Hand built by robots.

Still a large gap compared to images of cars online.

Reminds me of when I got a new windscreen fitted to my 2007 4.3 model, the fitter said who fit the last replacement? what replacement I said, owned the vehicle from new, it was extremely badly fitted at the factory about 10mm out of true and took twice as long to change, Toyota's are not perfect I know owners like to think they are, read about the rusting fuel filler pipes on my model. I have changed 14 in total, and some of them are releasing rusty particles into the fuel system, All vehicles are basically built to the same standard, just don't be surprised if your Toyota comes out of the factory with faults, I'm not. 

Finally remembered to look at mine and yes, it looks the same.

Have you 'measured' the gap with the tail gate open?

23 hours ago, philip42h said:

Have you 'measured' the gap with the tail gate open?

About 17mm at it's narrowest point when open - I think I see where you are coming from, the space is needed as the boot opens/closes?

20190716_103501.jpg

12 minutes ago, PeteB said:

About 17mm at it's narrowest point when open - I think I see where you are coming from, the space is needed as the boot opens/closes?

20190716_103501.jpg

Yes indeed. On my 4.4 the gap with the tail gate closed is 6 or 7mm - so it looks 'wide' rather than a massive gap. With the tail gate open the gap / clearance reduces to about 3mm so one wouldn't want to close it up too much. I've obviously no idea how that relates to the design of the 4.5 though from your picture it does look as though some of that gap is needed to permit opening without fouling on the bodywork ...

Given how close the powered telescopic arms are to the hinges, they must have to develop a significant amount of leverage - is the 4.4 tailgate powered?  I wonder if that has influenced the design.

23 minutes ago, PeteB said:

Given how close the powered telescopic arms are to the hinges, they must have to develop a significant amount of leverage - is the 4.4 tailgate powered?  I wonder if that has influenced the design.

Yes - the 4.4 tailgate is powered - or at least mine is ... there may have been a base spec that lacks the powered lift