Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Stop/start Problem

mams

Hi there,

I have a Toytoa Auris 2010 plate and the eco mode automatically switches on when my clutch is in neutral and the hand break is on, and theoretically when you push down on the clutch it should re-start the engine but this time the power to my car car completely cut off and i could not re-start it no matter how many times i turned the ignition and applied the clutch, it did however eventually come back to life with the check engine light on the dash. Can anyone shed any light as to why this has happened. The check engine light has now disappeared.

Edited by FROSTYBALLS
Split into new topic and moved to the Auris club

I would check the security of the Battery cables/terminals as a first step. Also check any main earthing points that the thick Battery negative lead goes to. 

Next check the Battery voltage at rest (engine not running) and see if it holds up OK with your headlights turned on. The voltage shouldn't dip much below around 11.7 volts, even after a few minutes.

I'm just wondering if the battery suffered some kind 'internal issue' because modern batteries can fail suddenly and without warning although a battery that is otherwise OK and suffered some kind of internal short would generate lots heat... so I'm a bit dubious on that but battery issues are a possible.

Given that the engine management light came on (and we don't know why for sure) I would reset the ECU by disconnecting that battery negative terminal for 10 minutes or so. When you reconnect do it smartly pushing the clamp all the way down the terminal post. Retighten but do not overtighten. Start the car and let it idle for a couple of minutes... it may seem all over the place with the revs as the ECU relearns basic input values from all the sensors. Then take it for a drive.