Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Plug in prius now has 5 seats

johalareewi

14 hours ago, toshtosh said:

We got our PHV from RRG in Bradford.

A quick check on their used site shows they have at least 2 low mileage PHVs in their group, both red, but amazingly they do not advertise them as PHVs. I only identified them by the lights at the front.

Prices seem good.

https://www.rrg-group.com/toyota/used-cars/prius/

Cheers

Tony B

The EV charger flap on the driver's side rear is another visual clue.

On 8/21/2019 at 10:39 PM, toshtosh said:

but amazingly they do not advertise them as PHVs.

Tony B

I did a quick trawl of the Toyota used cars and there are a number of PHVs that are listed as normal Pri.  The only give away is the photos.

I was also surprised by the price of used mk1 PIPs.

• 4 weeks later...

Got to see the 5 seat plugin prius at Snows Southampton. They have got a  red one. 

The rear seat centre armrest is now a drop down like the prius and there is a centre seatbelt. Headroom and leg space is the same as before.  Boot space is unchanged. 

The heated seat buttons are now in front of the phone charger tray and easier to get to.

Didn't notice anything else different (apart from the blackness) and there wasn't time for a test drive.

There is also a new glossy plugin prius brochure but the salesperson had to hunt for it.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, johalareewi said:

There is also a new glossy plugin prius brochure but the salesperson had to hunt for it.

Do you have a copy? It's still missing online. I would be very interested to know if they have updated it so it actually tells the truth about the adaptive headlights, as Toyota UK suggested to me they would be updating it to reflect how these actually operate on UK cars. Also, the auto pre-heating function should now no longer be included as that isn't fitted to UK cars either. Unless, of course, they've changed the spec for the 2019 version.

18 hours ago, Ten Ninety said:

Do you have a copy? 

Yes. After the Salesperson took so long to find it i couldn't say no. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, johalareewi said:

Yes. After the Salesperson took so long to find it i couldn't say no. 

Does it describe the adaptive headlights as steering the beam around corners, or operating a wide beam at low speed?

On 9/21/2019 at 7:44 PM, Ten Ninety said:

Does it describe the adaptive headlights as steering the beam around corners, or operating a wide beam at low speed?

Steering round corners.

lights.jpg

• Thanks 1

Thanks for posting that excerpt. I am disappointed but not remotely surprised that Toyota UK have changed precisely nothing in that to reflect reality -  it is identical to the pre-facelift brochure and points 1 and 4 are completely wrong. There is no low-speed mode on UK cars, nor do the lights steer around corners at all.

I doubt they've actually changed the cars themselves, so I suspect that page is as misleading as it was for the pre-facelift PHV. I guess we'll have to wait until someone buys a facelift PHV to test the lights' operation!

On 9/23/2019 at 8:08 PM, Ten Ninety said:

There is no low-speed mode on UK cars, nor do the lights steer around corners at all.

Thats a shame. The headlights really need to turn round corners and wide low speed would be handy. 

On 9/26/2019 at 12:24 PM, johalareewi said:

Thats a shame. The headlights really need to turn round corners and wide low speed would be handy. 

It is a disappointment. However, the lamp units can be manually adjusted upwards (from the factory they're set to point at the floor about 10 yards in front of the car) and once that's done it transforms dipped beam in something actually useful, with a decent spread and reach even without any enhanced wide beam. I have cornering lights on the GS and don't really miss them when I'm in the Prius, now I've done the adjustment.

The upward adjustment is necessary to make dipped beam properly usable up to 40mph, because with no 'low speed' setting the Auto High Beam function won't actually engage at all until you go over that speed. Once it's kicked in, the shuttering function is surprisingly effective in oncoming traffic although like all AHB systems it removes the ability to courtesy-dip before the approaching car actually appears around the bend or over the hill. As a result, I've taken to turning the AHB off completely, which also means I can flick onto the unshuttered, max-intensity 'high speed' main beam at whatever speed I wish. It is insanely powerful, and makes night driving on lightly-trafficked roads a joy. The reach is enough to catch on reflective surfaces like road signs fully a mile distant! 

I did mention the inadequate factory dipped beam height settings to Toyota UK when I was complaining about the crippled AHB system. The representative said he would 'pass on' that information. Given that the same representative also said the brochure would be changed, I doubt the facelift cars are leaving the factory with more appropriately-adjusted lamps either. 

• Like 1