Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Best breakdown cover?

Motormanical

Shopping around for breakdown and I can’t understand why there is such a big price difference between companies for the same level of cover.

E.g. If you look at the comparison table below you can see huge difference in the cost even though the cover seems to be the same. Why?

Breakdown list

Am I missing something here? How can one company offer the same cover for vastly less?

Thanks.

Factors which can affect prices include whether they have their own breakdown vehicles and staff, contract with independent garages to provide the breakdown services, or contract with a large breakdown services provider (eg. AA, Call Assist,Green Flag, RAC, AGA, etc). Contracting with a larger body may mean lower overheads, and thus lower prices.

For example the majority of insurance or vehicle manufacturer branded breakdown services contract with organisations such as the AA, RAC, Green Flag, Call Assist, etc. For example the services offered by Toyota Roadside Assistance, Honda, Ford and Audi are provided by the AA. Startrescue and Gem use Call Assist. Direct Line use Green Flag (which they own). Aviva and Mercedes use the RAC.

Some put restrictions on the policy - such as age or type of vehicles they handle.

The percentage of vehicles repaired at the roadside, customer service, speed of response, etc can vary quite widely.

Buying the cheapest may not always be the best.

For example in the 2019 Which? Car Survey, Toyota Roadside Assistance came top (score 87%l, followed by the AA (80%), Startrescue (75%) and Autoaid Breakdown (74%). This was based on speed of response, percentage of cars fixed at the rosdside, knowledge/capability of the mechanic attending, and value for money.

Toyota Roadside Assistance is £72 annually if paid by direct debit - https://www.toyota.co.uk/owners/roadside-assistance/#/iframe/https%3A%2F%2Fforms.toyota.co.uk%2Froadside-assistance

• Thanks 1

Mine and the wife’s car has been with Start Rescue for 9 years and have used their services. Used the. 4 times in that period and got quick response, max 45 minutes, once starter motor went on wife’s C1, they came and carried wife and car to our local garage.  They do give a loyalty bonus (without asking). I changed my 59 plate Prius for a 66 plate Prius and the premium came down, younger more reliable car. For my 66 Prius and wife’s 60 plate Auris Hybrid I pay around £67 for both, inc home start, not bothered with European travel.

9 hours ago, FROSTYBALLS said:

Factors which can affect prices include whether they have their own breakdown vehicles and staff, contract with independent garages to provide the breakdown services, or contract with a large breakdown services provider (eg. AA, Call Assist,Green Flag, RAC, AGA, etc). Contracting with a larger body may mean lower overheads, and thus lower prices.

For example the majority of insurance or vehicle manufacturer branded breakdown services contract with organisations such as the AA, RAC, Green Flag, Call Assist, etc. For example the services offered by Toyota Roadside Assistance, Honda, Ford and Audi are provided by the AA. Startrescue and Gem use Call Assist. Direct Line use Green Flag (which they own). Aviva and Mercedes use the RAC.

Some put restrictions on the policy - such as age or type of vehicles they handle.

The percentage of vehicles repaired at the roadside, customer service, speed of response, etc can vary quite widely.

Buying the cheapest may not always be the best.

For example in the 2019 Which? Car Survey, Toyota Roadside Assistance came top (score 87%l, followed by the AA (80%), Startrescue (75%) and Autoaid Breakdown (74%). This was based on speed of response, percentage of cars fixed at the rosdside, knowledge/capability of the mechanic attending, and value for money.

Toyota Roadside Assistance is £72 annually if paid by direct debit - https://www.toyota.co.uk/owners/roadside-assistance/#/iframe/https%3A%2F%2Fforms.toyota.co.uk%2Froadside-assistance

Thanks for the detailed response.

I understand now. The cheaper firms dont have their own fleet of vans etc but instead rely on local firms to attend to calls.

Also I didnt realise that some are essentially just a brand Badge and contract It out to the aa, rac etc.

I’ll take a look at Toyota assistance as you say they are essentially using the aa.

Thanks again

1 hour ago, Catlover said:

Mine and the wife’s car has been with Start Rescue for 9 years and have used their services. Used the. 4 times in that period and got quick response, max 45 minutes, once starter motor went on wife’s C1, they came and carried wife and car to our local garage.  They do give a loyalty bonus (without asking). I changed my 59 plate Prius for a 66 plate Prius and the premium came down, younger more reliable car. For my 66 Prius and wife’s 60 plate Auris Hybrid I pay around £67 for both, inc home start, not bothered with European travel.

Ok thanks for that. Ive heard a lot of positives about startrescue. I didnt know that as the other poster said they use Call Assist.

Thanks again

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links