Do Not Sell My Personal Information

2008 Toyota Hiace 2.5 D4D wont start

rachael101

Hey just joined not sure if this is the right section if not please advise, hoping someone can shed some light on an issue with my mk5 hiace.

Just went out to it this morning and it wont start. When turn ignition no dash lights come on like ignition light etc but you can hear a click as if it would try to turn over. Would this just be a flat Battery?

I tried turning it over again and the dash lights came on when the ignition was turned on this time. But when you try to start the dash lights dim and the van doesn't start. Again would this just be caused by a flat Battery?

The hiace has 2 batteries so I'm currently charging one at the moment and then will do the other and try start it again.

Van never gave any starting issues before, has been sitting up for a week since it was last started then this happened.

Also the central locking wasnt working properly from the key, I replaced Battery in fob and it would only work standing beside the van. Any reason for this?

Currently with the lack of power issue when you unlock the van from the drivers door it will only unlock the drivers door none others. Could this be related to the battery if that is the reason it wont start?

Hope someone can advise. Thanks!

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

The symptoms you describe do tie in with a flat Battery.  Batteries don't last for ever, and how they perform is partly dependent on how often and how much charge they receive.  If you don't use vehicle very much, then the batteries may never get fully charged.

2 batteries?

The symptoms you describe do tie in with a flat battery.  Batteries don't last for ever, and how they perform is partly dependent on how often and how much charge they receive.  If you don't use vehicle very much, then the batteries may never get fully charged.
2 batteries?
Thanks for the reply Notoyboy much appreciated! Yeah I had a feeling it was a flat Battery. Will wait til they're charged and try again.

Yes 2 batteries I thought that strange too. I'll post a photo of it to show you.

2 batteries in the engine bay, looks like they are both meant to be there as there 2 Battery trays and terminals for them.

As you can see I've one charging atm.

Do you think the 2 batteries is correct? I'm a new toyota owner so this is a first for me lol51ebb73d94cf2c602fed8968d30106c5.jpg

That looks very old, could even be original old.

Time to start searching for a new ones, you can find in owners manual which batteries to get, in terms of amperage, and you should be set for years.

When you get it replaced, let it idle for 10 minutes (for ECU to re-learn), then take it for a short drive.

I assume the 2 batteries are connected together, in parallel.  Presuming both batteries are down, then charging just the one may or may not get the vehicle started, the problem being that as soon as you put the charged Battery back in circuit, it loses it's charge as it tries to charge up the other Battery (the low charge Battery drags down the charge in the good battery)

There may be reasons why the vehicle has to have 2 batteries  Is it possible to replace with just fitting 1 new one, buying the highest capacity battery you can physically squeeze in?  May be that the sort of use the vehicle was designed for warrants 2 batteries, or maybe it's just not possible to fit 1 large battery anywhere in the engine compartment. 

**UPDATE**

Got both batteries charged up, first turn of the key and she started woo hoo!

Going to get a Battery health check done in the future anyways but good to be back on the road again.

Thanks for all your help everyone :)