Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Desperately Need Help Aygo Won't Start

Aygodad

Hi new to the forum and am looking for some urgent help. My daughter managed to puncture her fuel tank running over a deer carcass. New (second hand) fuel tank was duly sourced and fitted. Bit of a struggle but all seemed to go well. Tank partially filled we drove 6 miles to a local garage to fill the tank. At the pump she had trouble filling the tank. We thought it might be the pump so paid for what she had put in but the car wouldn't start when we tried to move it. The fuel gauge was showing 3 bars. Called the RAC who could find the fault but ascertained that the fuel pump wasn't working. Having had it recovered home I have checked the pump which does not appear to be working but I also don't seem to have power at the socket at the pump unit. I have ordered a new sender unit but am concerned at the lack power to the socket. No idea what to check, wondering if it could be the immobiliser? Any suggestions gratefully received. 

Could be a fuse (don't ask which one 🙂 ) or you haven't connected something back up? Sorry not much help but hope you get it sorted.

Thanks for the prompt response. Have checked fuse both in the engine bay and behind the instrument binnacle - all good. Only connector removed was on the fuel sender/pump unit and the pump ran after that in the drive to the garage. 

My line of thinking would be this...

The car was otherwise all OK until this tank issue arose. You swapped the tank and had trouble filling it and so that suggests some physical issue somewhere. The car already had fuel in it and now it won't start as seemingly the pump isn't receiving power. Everything has to be related to the either the work done or some unseen damage that occurred running over the obstruction.

I would certainly try disconnecting and reconnecting the Battery, not that that is going to fix any underlying issue but purely as way to be sure everything is back to a 'reset' state and then see if anything changes.

hopefuly the second hand tank wasn,t from a DIESEL ???????  or thit your daughter put diesel in it???  cause she had trouble filling it ???

Apart from the pump perhaps not running , the replacement tank could have had dirt or rust in it that has become disturbed and blocked the outflow to the pump, although there is usually an in tank filter in most cars. Can you blow back down the fuel pipe from the engine end?

Whatever was causing the tank not to be able to be filled is an interesting question, was the fuel filler just cutting off as if the tank was full or was something else causing the problem?

Thanks for the replies I appreciate everyone taking the time to respond. Best take each in turn:

Mooly: Daughter ran over the deer about three weeks ago and I effected a temporary repair to the tank until I replaced it this weekend. Car ran fine until after the tank was replaced so your suggestion would seem logical but I don't think thats the case. The filling problem may be related to me fitting something incorrectly (getting the anti syphon hose in the filler neck in place was a sod), but I can't see how anything I have done would stop power to the fuel pump (famous last words) especially since it ran for 6 miles and started and stopped twice before driving to the garage. The Battery was disconnected for the tank replacement but I will try doing it again.

G6-R: Second hand tank was from a petrol Aygo converted to electric (!!) in 2009. The tank was immaculate. Daughter definitely did not fill up with diesel and I can't see how that would stop the fuel pump from working or having power to the connector. Even if she had put diesel in the petrol in the line would have let it turn over and then cut out.

Johnan:checked the replacement tank before fitting it, no rust because it is plastic. Will check the fuel line for a blockage but can't see how that would cause a loss of power to the pump. The filling issue may have been my error in that I had trouble with the anti syphon tube so I will check that.

Does anyone know how the immobiliser immobilises the car or if there is a relay for the fuel pump? I have acquired a Haynes manual but the wiring diagram is not brilliant and the section on the fuel pump is sketchy.

I would imagine there is a relay and that it would be tied in to the ECU and immobiliser (for example to cut the pump and engine in the event of an accident if the air bags were triggered etc) but it is to much of a coincidence that there would be a deep seated issue in that area. Logic says the problem is related to the work carried out in some way.