Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Turning Circle

Verstappen89

Are the Facelift Yaris any improvement on MY18 version as I find Forward bay parking a nightmare and that shouldn’t be the case with a Car Dimension like a Yaris... It’s got a turning circle of a Bus!!

I believe there is no difference, in the turning circle. This was one of the reasons I changed from Yaris to Auris, and coinciding the Auris was an estate car, its turning circle was far superior. As is my current C-HR.

Jonmartin a lot of people say just reverse instead, would you agree?

23 minutes ago, Verstappen89 said:

Jonmartin a lot of people say just reverse instead, would you agree?

Indeed, it's so easy with the camera. My C-HR has auto reverse parking as well as auto parallel parking. VERY scary, and not always very accurate, you really need to keep your wits about you ard a foot very near the brake pedal.

Yes, our Yaris has a terrible turning circle.  Dunno why they are like that.

Mentioned our Clio before - sorry for harping on about it! - that too had a rubbish turning circle, but ours had wide alu wheels and tyres and was top of the range.  Pick a lower level Clio and the turning circle was brilliant - we had one as a courtesy car once.  I put it down to having a different steering rack to allow for the wide tyres and stopping them catching under the wheel arches.  Lower trim levels had narrower tyres.

Our Yaris is an Excel - top of the range too - and has big wide tyres.  I would have expected the lower spec ones to have been fine (based on our experience with a Clio) but it seems all Yaris models are the same as it's been mentioned on here before.

Mick.

Yaris Hybrid has a very good turning circle, possibly because of the narrow tyres.

I had loan of a fairly new Kia Picanto while my Auris was being serviced and the turning circle seemed very small by comparison. For what it was, it was actually a great little car.

My '14 reg poverty spec icon has the tightest turning circle I've ever had on any FWD car. In fact the front tyres tend to judder at full lock, something to do with the 'improved' Ackerman steering I believe.

Do higher specs and hybrids have a larger turning circle?

2 hours ago, HughA said:

Yaris Hybrid has a very good turning circle, possibly because of the narrow tyres.

Ours doesn't.  It has a very poor turning circle and is a nightmare to parallel park, let alone come out of some carpark exits.  Three point turns turn into five point turns.

There is nothing in the handbook to say what the turning circle is.  Toyota must be embarrassed about it.

Mick.

Found this.

https://media.toyota.co.uk/wp-content/files_mf/1421253095150113MTOYOTAYARISTECHNICALSPECIFICATIONS.pdf

Scroll down and you'll see that the Yaris has a turning radius of 11.6m (body) for the 16" wheels and 10.2m for the 15" wheels.

That's a difference of 1.4m.  Doesn't sound much, but it makes a big difference to the manoeuvrability of the car.

We have 195/50R16 tyres.

Mick.

The Sporty ones tend to have the 16 inch and lower class 15 inch.

Parking a Yaris in a tight spot is always a challenge. I thought of switching to wider after market alloys but eventually decided against it, partly because of insurance and partly because of the stupid turning circle...... 

Best car I've owned in recent years was the Fiat500.  Tight turning circle and a high seating position.

Best ever was my Triumph Herald.  The turning circle was tiny.  If you turned the wheels to their full extent and then put you foot on the throttle and took your hands off the steering wheel, the wheels wouldn't self-straighten, but tighten even further, and then your front wheels would skid sideways.

7mtrs I think.  25ft or something.

Mick.

The 'soon to be' Honda EV is said to have around 4.3m turning circle helped by it being rear wheel drive - you could probably rip off the tyres at full lock!

Honda EV details

Herald was 24ft, around 8 metres.

• Like 1