Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Access to instrument cluster and loose components?

KennyKen1988

I'm not entirely sure it was done at the dealership when I had work done although I'd like to think I would have noticed this sooner...

My cluster fascia and instrument speedo cluster itself are really loose in the dashboard! I had an air bag inflator and controller recall at a dealership and I don't know if they messed it up but it seems all the mounting tabs have been damaged as my cluster rocks from side to side and my fascia is ready to pull out but is only being held in by the upside down screw at the top.

If you want to look at what I'm doing just refer to the video below. I got a serious problem already as I wanted to take everything out and put it all back in properly, but the idiot who was taken it all out before has somehow messed the first screw up (the upside down one) so it's just spinning loose and does not come away!

Has anyone got any tips on how to remove a screw that is doing this, it appears to be gripped in to whatever it threads into but is refusing to budge. I've tried to gently pry with a trim tool from the top but it's still very much attached! Any advice would be great thank you.

Dab of superglue (the thick type) on end of screwdriver and let it set in screw head. Then pull and turn.

Possibly clean screw head with  solvent and cotton bud first. Not too much superglue - just a hint of it. 

Best of luck.

Maybe try it out an a screw first before the major surgery!!!!!

PS Disclaimer - do at your own risk

Edited by PACorolla
Extra
  • Thanks 1

I would not remove it, but use some hot glue to set it even firmer in place, it is flexible enough to have some give, and should hold it just fine, but if the time comes, could be easily removed.

• Like 1

Thanks for the replies so yes I'll give this method a go and hopefully the screw does come away with a bit of pulling while loosening off! I wish I could just leave it but all the rattles I'm getting are hideous not to mention a rattle in the steering wheel itself which is the worse one! I think with the warmth of summer and how it can manipulate the dash plastics it's all just become apparent and I should of inspected the car more thoroughly.

On my first visit they worked on the passenger side and failed to refit the glove box damper but that was very easy to sort out, The buzzing rattle I'm also getting inside the steering wheel is not great either so I need to tackle that also!

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links