Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Alphard headlamp deflectors

Bruce Danson

I have a Halfords beam deflector pack, but cannot find information for my Alphard. I’d be grateful 

for any assistance.

Hi, are you saying your car has the steering wheel on the left and was designed for the continent? Mike.

2 hours ago, Mike169 said:

Hi, are you saying your car has the steering wheel on the left and was designed for the continent? Mike.

The Alphard is a Japanese imported vehicle...and therefore right hand drive I assume...I think what Bruce is asking is about the lack of headlamp lens marking indication in relation to the position of his beam deflector for use in Europe... I guess.?

My imported Estima has no markings either....I guess somebody must have done it before.???...but I'm afraid I don't know personally.

Hi Neil/Bruce.

Neil you have made an interesting answer.

I MOT'd cars for many years and cars from memory always had a bit to mask out area if say you went abroad for a month.

If Bruce's vehicle has no definite markings on the glass of the headlamps all that can be done is leaving the engine running, put on the dipped headlamps and the light pattern as you see it from the drivers seat should be horizontal with say a 30 degree straight incline from the left of the light from about the last third of the beam pattern. I am assuming at present if he did this at present the inclines 30 degrees will be on the right of the beam pattern, if this is the case using black insulation tape 'black out' the angled part on the right and it should appear on the left not forgetting this is as seen from the drivers seat. The tape will have to be an unequal triangle on one side of the glass going to about to the centre of the glass so as to not blind oncoming drivers.

Bruce if you are unsure what I am trying to explain get another car do the same test without the tape of course and see the beam pattern against the garage door/brick wall and try and replicate this by blanking out part of your headlamp glass. Once you think you have got it right you can but say 2 inch wide insulation tape which would look neater

Good luck, Mike.

Thanks for that Mike...I guess we'll see if it helps Bruce.

11 hours ago, Mike169 said:

If Bruce's vehicle has no definite markings on the glass of the headlamps all that can be done is leaving the engine running, put on the dipped headlamps and the light pattern as you see it from the drivers seat should be horizontal 

I did as Mike says above on an old Corolla E11 years back with duct tape, and then took a photo in case I needed to make some in years to follow.  Where you end up blocking the headlamp will not be where you initially expect!  Also, drape a coat (or disconnect) over the headlamp you are not working on to make the beam you want to see more obvious.  Your angular headlamps will be more of a challenge, I reckon.

To remove the 'uptick' on the Corolla beam pattern the masks ended up like this, fwiw :-

DSCF0002.JPG

DSCF0004.JPG

• Like 2

Well said Greg and photo's as well. I endorse everything you have written, all 100% correct.

All the best, Mike.