Do Not Sell My Personal Information

2019 RAV4 - media home screen

Southern Softy

Good morning all,

When in the home screen on the media screen I notice the Nav is not in the direction of travel, I cannot see a work around this in the settings so wondered if I have missed something in the settings ?

6 minutes ago, Southern Softy said:

When in the home screen on the media screen I notice the Nav is not in the direction of travel, I cannot see a work around this in the settings so wondered if I have missed something in the settings ?

Nope, don't think this can be changed.  What's worse, is the main full screen map keeps going back to North Up, but I can't work out what prompts it - sometimes when I switch the car on it's reverted, sometimes not.  Weird!

Fortunately, most of the time I have my TomTom on it's beanbag for the better maps, routing and traffic.

[Traffic on the built-in SatNav is much better if the Internet-based system is used via a tethered mobile phone, but the routing around holdups is still not as good, and the TomTom will use very minor roads if necessary that the built-in system would never choose].

Hi, just a suggestion, open all the windows and the drivers door, raise the bonnet and disconnect the black earth lead so the Battery terminal and the black wire are no where each other. Leave your vehicle with the lead off for at least 30 minutes then reconnect the black wire...………………………….make sure the drivers door is open and the keys are in your pocket, failure to do the last part could result in you being locked out of your own vehicle with the keys inside...…………………………..the car won't blow a fuse but you will, lol.

Good luck, Mike.

Hi Pete,

As I thought then, but thanks for the feedback anyway.

I have had my car for nearly a week now and although it took a while to get the phone tethering and mytoyota app sorted out I am finding the built in nav quite good apart from the screen resolution compared with by BMW that has now gone back to the leasing company. 

Enjoying the car and MPG !

Martin

• Like 1

I'm enjoying the car, but the mpg is a shock (that I was expecting to be fair) after my Gen 4 Prius, which generally did 15-20 mpg better in any given circumstance.

My 250 mile round trip from Norfolk coast to Bedfordshire yesterday would have seen over 80 mpg instead of nearly 60 I achieved, but I'm not complaining, my hip pain has improved markedly since I swapped the very low Prius for the very high RAV!

I'm assuming that you have gone into the navigation settings and selected '2d direction of travel'. If not then it is Setup > Navigation > Map > Map Layout.

As has been mentioned here, that only seems to work correctly occasionally. The only other way, if it is being awkward, is to press the map direction button on the nav screen until it is correct.

What I would say is that the info on navigation in the printed manual is woefully inadequate. To get an understanding of how it really works, the separate ICE electronic download manual is the only way to get to grips with it. It contains nearly five times as many pages as the supplied printed manual. This might help save the planet, but for me it just meant printing it out separately, especially as there are a lot of cross-references.

5 minutes ago, LesU said:

I'm assuming that you have gone into the navigation settings ...

Yes, thanks. It seems to go back to North up every other day or so regardless of which method was used.

I keep the downloaded manuals (all 1,000+ pages!) on my phone, tablet & PC so I can refer to then when and where ever necessary.  But I know not everyone is comfortable using screen based literature.

23 hours ago, LesU said:

I'm assuming that you have gone into the navigation settings and selected '2d direction of travel'. If not then it is Setup > Navigation > Map > Map Layout.

As has been mentioned here, that only seems to work correctly occasionally. The only other way, if it is being awkward, is to press the map direction button on the nav screen until it is correct.

What I would say is that the info on navigation in the printed manual is woefully inadequate. To get an understanding of how it really works, the separate ICE electronic download manual is the only way to get to grips with it. It contains nearly five times as many pages as the supplied printed manual. This might help save the planet, but for me it just meant printing it out separately, especially as there are a lot of cross-references.

It is the same on the new Corolla, you only get the 3D view if you are actually using the Satnav.  The issue of retaining the settings has been raised with Toyota UK and a 'fix' is in the pipeline.