Do Not Sell My Personal Information

advice on tyre

ProfGlenn

Hi - easy one I hope!  The chunk in this photo has been there for ages and is not a problem (Toyota tell me).  But the crack in the sidewall is new.  Is it an urgent job?  Or is it just normal?

Thanks

Glenn

bau9KKd.jpg

• Like 1

To be honest I'd probably get that checked out asap just because of the split.

Considering that rubber is the only thing that keeps you on the road it's best to get it checked out straight away.

• Like 1

have a look at the date stamp on the tyre ,its normally a 4 digit code like 2713

this means the 27th week of 2013,if you find its more than 5 years old i would

go and replace asap due to the age of the rubber ,generally though if you cant

see the cords / bracing of the tyre its normally deemed safe to use.

12 minutes ago, eygo said:

have a look at the date stamp on the tyre ,its normally a 4 digit code like 2713

this means the 27th week of 2013,if you find its more than 5 years old i would

go and replace asap due to the age of the rubber ,generally though if you cant

see the cords / bracing of the tyre its normally deemed safe to use.

Thanks - I've learnt something - so the tyre in question says 1014 and the other rear one says 4715.  The front ones say 2018 and 3218.  So sounds like both rear ones need replacing.  Ouch.  They are soooo expensive!  About £250 a pop at Toyota for michelin!

49 minutes ago, bewA said:

To be honest I'd probably get that checked out asap just because of the split.

Considering that rubber is the only thing that keeps you on the road it's best to get it checked out straight away.

Thank you

Hi,

if the damage is only that shown on pictures you can still driving like that till the next MOT, but if your tyres are getting older and if you have some puncture repairs or other damage maybe is time to replace them. Auris 2010 size is 215/45 R17 , £250 for both? For those money you can buy 4 mid range tyres that will be as good or even better than many premium tyres and last as long too. I can particularly recommend you to look at Kumho , Hankook, Falken. At the moment there are some great prices on premium brands here: https://www.mytyres.co.uk/rshop/Summer-tyres/215-45-R17 you can buy online and choose nearest to you garage to fit them. Prices are really great at the moment. July and through August is best time for tyres, unbelievable prices. 

1 hour ago, eygo said:

glenn

here is a link for kwikfit for michelin cross climates

i am presuming your tyre size is 225/4517

these tyres are £97 each fitted

https://www.kwik-fit.com/tyres/search/details/michelin/michelin-crossclimate-plus/t1015382

Thanks.  I am pretty sure the last front ones fitted were Michelin Primacy 3 and cost at least £200 each and that was with a Toyota Pricematch guarantee!

27 minutes ago, TonyHSD said:

Hi,

if the damage is only that shown on pictures you can still driving like that till the next MOT, but if your tyres are getting older and if you have some puncture repairs or other damage maybe is time to replace them. Auris 2010 size is 215/45 R17 , £250 for both? For those money you can buy 4 mid range tyres that will be as good or even better than many premium tyres and last as long too. I can particularly recommend you to look at Kumho , Hankook, Falken. At the moment there are some great prices on premium brands here: https://www.mytyres.co.uk/rshop/Summer-tyres/215-45-R17 you can buy online and choose nearest to you garage to fit them. Prices are really great at the moment. July and through August is best time for tyres, unbelievable prices. 

Wow.  Thank you.  But won't Toyota charge an arm and a leg to fit these?  I would have to have them delivered to Toyota?  I think the tyre in question was letting in air back in february and Toyota could not find a leak and wanted me to replace the tyre and I said no if  they couldn't find a leak!  So they put a new valve on and it has been fine for 5 months.  But maybe the air being let out back then has caused the split.....

The damage it’s most 

likely caused by kerb in the wheel somewhere, when you buy tyres online the sites give you an option to choose for fitting, doesn’t need to be Toyota garage, but if they do work with Toyota garage of your choice you still no need to pay garage anything, all is paid online when making your order. At the moment prices are really good. Also you don’t need to buy specificity Michelin’s , sometimes the OEM tyres are not the best on the market. 

Regards 

I don't particularly like the look of that tyre. If it were my car I would replace.

I wouldn't bother with Michelins - good tyre but way overpriced. I can highly recommend Hankook Ventus V12 Evo2 in your size. About £64 delivered from tyreleader.co.uk.  These are a good tyre and factory-fit on some VW/Skoda/SEAT.  Before I retired sold and fitted 100's of these with no comebacks.

Continental SportContact3 is good st about £70 or Toyo Proxies similar price. Expect to pay £15-20 per tyre for fitting/balance. Tyreleader will deliver direct to your fitter. Don't go to Toyota, they will bleed you white on tyres!

• Like 1

Hi Glenn,

Just to add to the other suggestions, you could try these people:-

https://www.f1autocentres.co.uk/car-tyres/results

They claim to beat any other online price.  You buy the tyre off the web from the F1 site, then they ship the tyre to your local F1 depot (which you nominate beforehand, there is one in Nottingham as it happens), and you decide on a preferred time you want it fitted at the time of purchase, but that isn't binding if you change your mind.  Delivery is usually 2 days, but they ring you when it's arrived at the depot, sometimes it's quicker.  They then fit the tyre the same as if you'd just bought it on-the-spot, except you don't pay anything at all at the depot.

But, if you do go to them, definitely don't forget that there is usually a voucher code (just google 'F1 voucher code'!) that will get you £2 off each tyre at the online checkout.

In the unlikely event you do have a problem after buying and fitting, then you should have only one person to complain to, so hopefully no 'buck passing' from supplier to the fitter.

I have no idea how good their local staff are up your end, but just someone else to consider.  And locally, they are often busy, so sometimes a wait is involved to get the fitting done.

Strangely, my local Toyota dealer is very, very competitive on tyres, and as an extra incentive they were (still are?) offering a free lifetime puncture repair pledge.  But I've not used them yet - and despite some recent 'subpar' servicing experiences with them, I doubt that they would end up fitting the tyre inside out, or similar.  Perhaps you have to ask for a price match from your dealer to get a competitive price, otherwise they just charge you the full list price (that nobody normally pays)???

The hardest part (apart from coughing up the dosh), is choosing what to buy........

i've had a full set of cross climates and they where great during the winter & summer months

sure footed at all times good grip dry & wet and very quiet.

why have a set of winter & summer tyres when you can have just 1 set of tyres for all seasons that work

really well in both seasons.

Hi Glenn.

That split in your tyre is what's known in the trade as 'motorway blowouts' and is very dangerous and if the Police do a tyre check on your vehicle for any reason you could get a fine and 3 points on your licence. I personally suggest you get it changed asap. Incidentally what's your spare like f you have one that is. If you do have a spare but it's low on tread get a new tyre on there and also the tyre with a split in it and get them fitted to the car, some people will tell you to have the 2 new tyres fitted to front axle while others will say on the rear axle, ask the tyre place for their advise.

Regards. Mike.

To be honest no way would I leave that on thye car without it being checked and classed as safe by a professional tyre fitter. Asa other posters said that is the only contact you have with the road.

Thanks everyone.  So the technical manager at Toyota said the tyre was fine but I had the good Michelin front ones moved to the back and two new Nexen ones put on the front.  It's now doing a little rattle going over speed bumps so maybe they have overinflated them or maybe it's just different tyre profile causing this.....

I have now noticed a tiny windscreen chip - I was inspecting a suspected chip yesterday that turned out to be tree sap.....but this one isn't - will start a new thread.

Thanks again.

Best

Glenn

There are differing opinions on this, but it is generally advised to have the newer tyres fitted on the rear.

I wouldn't even ask for an "experts" opinion on that tyre and would replce it a.s.a.p.. I would question the compntency of that "technical manager" too.😕

Mixing tyres , that is not ideal and typical for UK, imagine you are walking with two different shoes?! All 4 tyres should be the same, that is compulsory in many western countries but hey because here it’s not illegal and no one cares, but better than the damaged one anyway. In awd cars mixed tyres are not recommended for a reason, but in 2wd cars the negative effects are pretty much same, only without the possibility of centre diff damage because you don’t have one. 😶

If you live near a Costco try them for the cross climates.  I had a full set fitted last year for £240.  I was only going to get 2 at the time but they were that cheap at the time I got them all done

On 7/19/2019 at 8:20 AM, mrfixer said:

Continental SportContact3 is good st about £70 or Toyo Proxies similar price. Expect to pay £15-20 per tyre for fitting/balance. Tyreleader will deliver direct to your fitter. Don't go to Toyota, they will bleed you white on tyres!

End of December 2018 I had 2 new tyres, same spec as originals, Toyo 15", fitted to my Gen4 Prius. Cost was £50 each, fully inclusive of fitting, weights, disposal and VAT. Fitted by my local Toyota dealership. And they advertise a price match - I didnt even bother.