Do Not Sell My Personal Information

2011 Avensis 2.0 D-4D Loss of Power, Wont Rev, Engine Tapping

scottwhittaker

My parents have a 2011 Avensis T27 2.0 D-4D Estate and they broke down on their return from Cornwall. No trouble getting down and running around down there and they were a good 250 miles into their return journey on the motorway when the car started to lose power and they noticed a slight tapping sound from the engine. They were recovered back and initially everyone was saying EGR valve, including the recovery guys.

My dad removed and cleaned the EGR valve which wasnt anywhere near as bad as some of the pictures you see online but there was quite a bit of carbon build up so he cleaned it all out. The main inlet pipe was also fairly clean, black but no real carbon build up.

The stored error codes were P0093, P0193, P0406, P602D.

When we start the car its a bit rough/weak running, the tapping is still present and it simply does not rev, you might get a bit if you floor it. Eventually it stalls.

I had a look at the EGR valve when it was back on the car and it literally only opens a few millimetres creating a tiny hole.
Is this right? It doesn't seem right to me, I would expect it to open to 90 degrees?

We loosened the inlet pipe to the EGR valve and the car actually revved but of course a lot of black smoke comes flooding out.

We're just wondering if anyone knows more about the EGR valve operation and if it's sounds faulty or if we should be looking elsewhere.

We also had the check parking brake system fault on the dash but I believe this is common with other erros from what I have read.

Thanks for reading.

The first two codes suggest a fuelling problem. Check your fuel cap is tightened properly, and do you know if the fuel filter has been recently changed, or is it possibly clogged?

The EGR should have a large possible degree of travel, but your ECU may only be calling for a small amount of recirculation, so it would not fully open. When the valve was cleaned, did he check the ports where it attaches to the manifold? They can clog up really badly, not just the valve body itself.

Thanks for the reply.

Yes fuel filter has been replaced but the old one seemed fine as well.

When I checked the EGR everything was off and unplugged, should it open fully/freely? All ports connecting to the EGR were quite clear really. We got a lot of exhaust gases when we loosened the metal pipe and the EGR from one another suggesting the gases are making it to the EGR valve.

Thanks

As Paul mentioned, the valve itself isn't the part that clogs up it's the part as it enters the manifold, i remember mine was clogged solid at 20k ! just after i'd bought it. It's simple to take the plastic cover off the valve mech and operate it by hand to make sure it moves. 

Sorry just want to make sure we're talking about the same thing.

Are you referring to the hole directly behind the EGR valve (as you are looking from the front of the car) that the EGR valve covers when fitted, ie behind the EGR valve flap itself essentially.?

If so this isnt clogged, we dont appear to have any clogging within the EGR valve, within the pipe to the EGR valve (and where that pipe connects to) or behind the EGR valve flap.

Should the EGR valve flap move when the plastic (presumably control unit/solenoid) is attached?

I seem to remember this valve flap moving a lot more when we were cleaning it but now its back together with the plastic control unit on it only open a few millimetres at most.

Although mines a 2adtftv  the egr opens fractionally one way and fully turning (by hand,  plastic cover off) the other way.

Rgds

Ah ok it might be because the plastic control head/unit was still attached and it wasnt when we were cleaning it. Oh well back to the drawing board.

P0093 = Large fuel leak detected ( Unlikely to be an actual fuel leak ) Fuel pressure drop before and after fuel injection is larger than the threshold a certain number of times (0.2 seconds or more). (1 trip detection logic)

P0193 = Fuel Rail Pressure Sensor Circuit High Input. Fuel pressure sensor output voltage is 4.9 V or higher for 0.5 seconds. (1 trip detection logic)

P0406 = Exhaust Gas Recirculation Sensor "A" Circuit High. EGR valve position sensor output voltage is higher than 4.9 V for 5 seconds. (1 trip detection logic)

P602D Is not a recognised code. P062D = Fuel Injector Driver Circuit Performance Bank1. Open or short in the injector driver (EDU) or fuel injector circuit. (1 trip detection logic)

There are technical service bulletins for both P0093 & P062D

EG-0068T-0514

Subject: Knocking noise and DTC P0093 due to injector nozzle deformation in AD engine.

Models: AURIS; AVENSIS; COROLLA; RAV4; TOYOTA RAV4; VERSO

Model codes: ADE150; ADE157; ADE186; ADT270; ADT271; ADE150; ALA40; ALA41; ALA49; ALA30; ALA35; AUR20; AUR21

DESCRIPTION OF PHENOMENON Some customers may experience and report knocking noise and/or DTC P0093 being triggered. The nozzle of the injector might corrode, deform and crack due to condensation water created inside the cylinder.

PRODUCTION CHANGE -The design of the Injector has been changed

Injectors need to be removed and nozzle tips inspected for deformation ( pitting, denting, bends ) if found replace injectors as a set, if not deformed then the bulletin does not apply proceed with P0093 diagnostic process 

EG-0024T-0212

Subject: Loss of engine power and MIL ON due to fuel injector failure - DTC P062D MIL ON

Models: AURIS; AVENSIS; COROLLA; RAV4; TOYOTA RAV4; VERSO

Model codes: ADE150; ADE157; ADE186; ADT270; ADT271; ADE150; ALA40; ALA41; ALA49; ALA30; ALA35; AUR20; AUR21

DESCRIPTION OF PHENOMENON Some customers may complain about injector failure causing a loss of engine power and MIL ON. DTC P062D (fuel injector driver circuit performance) is stored in the memory of the engine ECU.

PRODUCTION CHANGE The production process of the fuel injectors has been improved.

Injector feed backs need to be monitored via diagnostic PC if feedback volume of 1 or more injector is greater than +/- 3.0mm replace faulty injector/s with modified injector, if feedback of all injectors are < 3.0 mm Replace ALL injectors with modified injector

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Hi Lee, you sound expensive 😂. Really helpful post, thank you for taking the time to reply.

You are correct, it is P062D. This is the route we have been exploring lately and I presume Bank 1 means injector 1?? Hopefully anyway as this is the only injector we have not managed to remove. The other 3 were relatively straightforward.

Another thing I forgot to mention is when we turn the ignition on we get the noise of the fuel pump but it never stops.

I should add we do have trained/experienced mechanics in the family helping when they can, Im not actually doing much of the work so if I sound like a mechanical novice, you arent wrong!

Thanks

Bank 1 is a bit misleading it just refers to the injector driver unit on your 4 cyl engine, bank 2 would be used on V6/8 Engines where the injectors are on separate heads/circuits it does not refer to a specific injector.

You might find www.toyota-tech.eu helpful as for a £ you can access Toyotas technical information, repair manuals etc for a few hours ( content can be saved )

Ah ok. Will take a look at that site as well. Thank you

Does anyone know if the fuel pump or low pressure fuel pump buzzing should stop on these after so long because on this it just keeps buzzing.

My parents arent the most perceptive with their cars so they arent sure if its always done that. Just with the fuel leak error and clear injector issues, would like to rule that out to some extent.

Im guessing "technical service bulletins" is industry jargon for "we designed these bady.....soz!" 😭

• 3 months later...

i have the misfortune of buying a T27 diesel D-4D i think this car was made by the devil for his mother in-law. Mine keeps showing engine management light, traction control offend parking brake issues. when i ran OBD scanner ii it says -P062D - fuel injector driver circuit performance bank 1

tried solutions

-EGR valve cleaned and flushed.

-wiring checked 

-Fuel injectors cleaned and later replaced.

-ECU remapped.

No results the car still goes on limp mode and the warning lights are still on every 10-15 miles it stalls and idling is a teeth gritting exercise. someone please help before i scrap this pain of a car.

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/2/2019 at 2:34 AM, muthike said:

i have the misfortune of buying a T27 diesel D-4D i think this car was made by the devil for his mother in-law. Mine keeps showing engine management light, traction control offend parking brake issues. when i ran OBD scanner ii it says -P062D - fuel injector driver circuit performance bank 1

tried solutions

-EGR valve cleaned and flushed.

-wiring checked 

-Fuel injectors cleaned and later replaced.

-ECU remapped.

No results the car still goes on limp mode and the warning lights are still on every 10-15 miles it stalls and idling is a teeth gritting exercise. someone please help before i scrap this pain of a car.

Did you sort this?

It seems like a its the drive injector control module bad new is that my garage wants £1000 for the repair. I think i will do the job myself with eBay parts for £50.

• 2 weeks later...