Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Bmw

Michael Moriarty

If I know I was buy a BMW engine and supplements enclosed in a toyota body Shell I would have steered one hundred miles away from buying my Avensis.Had nothing but trouble with my 5 series BMW and promised myself never to buy one again.Two years after buying my Avensis from new a fly wheel had to be replace at a cost of £365 plus abour charges to fix.two months ago a new alternator was needed.tuesday this week my car refused to restart and the end result of this is a new fuel lift pump is on order to be picked up friday at a cost of £630 plus labour charges.Anyone thinking of buying a"BMW Avensis"my advise os don't !!!!!

• Like 1

Toyota made no secret of the fact that for the Auris, Avensis, Verso and Rav4, they were using BMW diesel engines in the short term (approx 3 years).

When I brought my Avensis from new I did not realise that under the bonnet was a Bmw engine as I trusted Toyota reliablity and honestly though I was buying into the dream(sorry,worked for Honda in Swindon,wrong japanese company)If toyota keep laying down with these dogs the fleas will emigrate and that reliabity label will disappear.

As stated earlier, the use of BMW diesel engines was short term. The four models that used them are now out of production.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Michael Moriarty said:

If I know I was buy a BMW engine and supplements enclosed in a toyota body shell I would have steered one hundred miles away from buying my Avensis.Had nothing but trouble with my 5 series BMW and promised myself never to buy one again.Two years after buying my Avensis from new a fly wheel had to be replace at a cost of £365 plus abour charges to fix.two months ago a new alternator was needed.tuesday this week my car refused to restart and the end result of this is a new fuel lift pump is on order to be picked up friday at a cost of £630 plus labour charges.Anyone thinking of buying a"BMW Avensis"my advise os don't !!!!!

Isn't the car under warranty?

• Like 2

Sorry to hear this but, buying anything require some research. 

Why Toyota used BMW engine: At the time when Toyota has their main focus on hybrid means they didn't want to invest in diesel. They got their vision right. Spending money on diesel to meet Euro 6 was not worth the investment.

I didn't want a BMW engine packaged by a Toyota skin, that's why I opted for an older car. So what ever car you buy, always spend times researching it and read reviews of the problems they have and to look out for.

• Like 1

Totally agree with to the point that toyota should not have put on the reserve to achleve a greater goal.Too much of that in football without bringing that into a solid business which could damage their reparation. 

Which years were the BMW engine's used. I assume the 1.6 diesel engines are BMW to ( there are 2 litre and 1.6 i think). Just that somebody i know is thinking of buying a youngish Auris diesel. Think they have 1.6 engine don't they. 

The reason for using the 'off the shelf' BMW diesels was that Toyota didn't have a 1.6 diesel to compete in the marketplace with other manufacturers (eg Ford, GM, VAG, etc). As regards the BMW diesel engines:

1. the Verso used the 1.6 from December 2013 to the end of production at the start of 2018
  2. the Auris used the 1.6 from the 2015 facelift until the end of 2017. In the UK diesel engines were dropped entirely from the start of 2018.
  3. the Avensis used the 1.6 and 2.0 from the 2015 facelift through to the end of production in 2018
  4. the last generation Rav4 used the 2.0 from November 2015.
  • Thanks 1

Very informative, thank you Frosty, I can pass that info on.

Am I right in thinking that some people don't like the 1.6 and 2.0 litre diesel BMW engines because of reliability issue's, and that they are maybe old stock engine's but mostly because they are troublesome.

The BMW engines used were N47's modified to suit Toyota's needs. These were the same engines early in their production life which gave timing chain issues in some BMWs - supposedly fixed by BMW around 2011. Not old stock.

• Thanks 1

Thankyou Frosty, that is very helpful information. Appreciated.

1 hour ago, FROSTYBALLS said:

The reason for using the 'off the shelf' BMW diesels was that Toyota didn't have a 1.6 diesel to compete in the marketplace with other manufacturers (eg Ford, GM, VAG, etc). As regards the BMW diesel engines:

1. the Verso used the 1.6 from December 2013 to the end of production at the start of 2018
  2. the Auris used the 1.6 from the 2015 facelift until the end of 2017. In the UK diesel engines were dropped entirely from the start of 2018.
  3. the Avensis used the 1.6 and 2.0 from the 2015 facelift through to the end of production in 2018
  4. the last generation Rav4 used the 2.0 from November 2015.

I have a facelift Auris 2015 on a 65 plate that has the trusty 1.4 d4d , thats why I bought this one over the 1.6d

7 minutes ago, stevecrvn said:

I have a facelift Auris 2015 on a 65 plate that has the trusty 1.4 d4d , thats why I bought this one over the 1.6d

Which is fair enough. The Toyota 1.4D4D continued until Toyota dropped the diesels in the Auris for the 2018 model year.

Ah, so the 1.4 diesel is a good one. Love this forum for info when u need it.

3 minutes ago, Ant-Rav said:

Ah, so the 1.4 diesel is a good one. Love this forum for info when u need it.

Im on my third 14.4 d4d first was a yaris bought with 29k sold with 146k never missed a beat , then a mk1auris 30k to 130k only a gearbox issue and now a mk 2 facelift sport tourer had it a year and put 20 k on it averages 57 mpg

• Like 1