Do Not Sell My Personal Information

New rattle

ProfGlenn

Hi.  Since I got my new tyres on the front on Friday (and have now checked tyre pressures and they are now set correctly) there is a bad rattle every time i go over a bump!  It last about 5 seconds then goes.  Until the next bump.  What could the garage have done to cause this?

Thanks

Glenn

Five seconds is a long long time. That suggests something big and flappy is loose, something that stays in motion was provoked. 

Break caliper heat shields come first to mind, if only on one side, take the tire off, have a look.

1 hour ago, furtula said:

Break caliper heat shields come first to mind, if only on one side, take the tire off, have a look.

Thanks.  I called the AA and they checked the nuts had been torqued up, which they had.  He jacked it up and had a play on both sides and said nothing was loose.  We took it for a drive and he could hear it.  He said that with the tyres all being changed over, if the car is suspended then in may flex and change the position of a joint and that could be it...I asked it it might therefore go away again, but he didn't think so.  He said to get Toyota to check it.  But i doubt they will want to - and if they do - they may wish to start charging for diagnostics....

Hard to know what to do.

Best

Glenn

I'll just mention this for curiosity/info......

Quite a few years ago now we had four new tyres put on our Corolla by Toyota and at speed (>30mph) there was a really alarming noise like something flapping around. Over around 20 to 30 miles the noise diminished to nothing. When I looked at the tyres I could see they had been coated with a spray on factory protectant in all the treads, stuff that reminded me of the old Copydex carpet glue. The noise was strands of this stuff flapping around as the wheel rotated.

Never heard of anything like that before or since, but there we are.

I’ve noticed the front wheels now have weights stuck on them- never seen these before.  They are new.  And quite an eyesore!  But they can’t possibly rattle.  It feels like it’s the driver side front wheel or else the steering column.  Sometimes feels more like one than the other.....

Also feels like there is more resistance / traction when driving and a very faint whirring- as if I am driving with a spare tyre but much fainter!  But I am looking for things....I can't believe the Nexen tyres make a different noise to the michelin ones!

I can’t see any gap at all between the disc and the pad on the passenger side.

When tyres are changed, balance weights are fitted to ensure the wheel revolves evenly. Stick on weights, rather than clip on weights, are used on alloys to prevent damage to the alloy wheels lacquer.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, FROSTYBALLS said:

When tyres are changed, balance weights are fitted to ensure the wheel revolves evenly. Stick on weights, rather than clip on weights, are used on alloys to prevent damage to the alloy wheels lacquer.

Thanks a lot yes makes sense- these are new to me.  But I am fairly convinced at least one of my wheels is not revolving correctly.  Definitely not such a good free wheel motion and a faint whirring noise ....I can’t imagine the make of tyre makes much difference to the noise quality. 

G

Hi Glenn.

Yes coincidence but I am wondering if you have a brake that is not releasing properly or a wheel bearing that is worn out i.e. growing.

With respect I feel you need to take your car to a garage for assessment which handled carefully will not cost you any money.

Regards, Mike. 

Why don’t you go back to the garage and ask to swap the front(new) with the rear (old) tyres and see if rattle vanish? Those cars are full of rattling noises from everywhere( steering column, dashboard, seats, exhaust brackets, wheel bearings everything that possible can rattle it does from time to time, soon or later on any Auris. With the new tyres if they are harder rubber than the old ones those rattles can be more present. Also tyre pressures are very often set wrongly by garage technicians or owners, you need to measure them with precision tool and on cold, when car been stationary for few hours and not under direct sunlight. You problem may be triggered by the new set of tyres. And yes the difference between two different make and models tyres can be between day and night.