Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Adding Extra HighBeam Lightbar.

Pommi Traveller

Trying to work out wiring to fit a light bar to High Beam on Headlights.  But the feed to the bulbs are 12vilt live all the time, so must be switched earth.

So where can we get a feed to connect a relay to do this.. or is it we will have to have the relay energised all the time and use 87a contact.

Any help will be appreciated. 

I have a 2008 Aygo too and have connected extra high beam lights to light up the Swedish winter dark nights. This is how I have done it. Locate the three lamp wires (going to your H4 lamp) on the left side. They are white, grey and a green wire. It is the green wire that is going to carry your switching current to the relay. Now get a relay with four points and following numbers on the points (30, 86, 87, 85). Look at the relay diagram below. Point 86 connects to the switching green wire mentioned earlier (with a T connector). Point 85 goes to an earth point/chassis in the car. Point 87 goes to your extra high beam lamps' positive side. Point 30 goes to the plus pole of the Battery via a fuse. Don't forget to connect the negative pole of your extra high beam lamps to a body chassis/ earth. Now every time you put the high beam on the extra lights will come on too.

rela.gif

Here is the T connector that I used, for the green H4 lamp wire.

T connector.jpg

Thanks

You say connections  to Left Side lamp, is that from front of car, so driver side for us.

Plus there is constant feed to the three wires to the g4 bulbs, so wireing above will be on all the time.

Driver side in Sweden, passenger side in UK.

The relay facilitates power supply to the extra lamps only when the high beams are on. Use the correct relay. There are some inhibitory relays too. If the wiring of Aygos sold in uk are same as the ones sold in Sweden, it should work.

Thanks.

Think they may be different as said, there is power to all 3 connections on lamps all the time.

Will ask at Toyota and see what they think.

I don't know what is meant by the term "light bar", presumably spot or fog lamps (?) and would question the possible "road legal" implications of these on UK vehicles, MoT restrictions etc., but that's not what I wanted to point out......

...... but for goodness sake, people, avoid those connectors illustrated -  in my former" mechaniking" days I've experienced more fualts caused by them (mostly corrosion and broken cables) than I care to remember !

Drive safely -

On 7/26/2019 at 3:55 PM, REDPEPPER said:

I don't know what is meant by the term "light bar", presumably spot or fog lamps (?) and would question the possible "road legal" implications of these on UK vehicles, MoT restrictions etc., but that's not what I wanted to point out......

...... but for goodness sake, people, avoid those connectors illustrated -  in my former" mechaniking" days I've experienced more fualts caused by them (mostly corrosion and broken cables) than I care to remember !

Drive safely -

Its connections to High Beam only and never use scotch lock connections, always splice,solder,heatshrink.

Hi.

I have to agree the comments about not using Scotch Locks.

For two years of my life I fitted tow bars for a living for a well known shop in Essex.

The boss told me to use Scotch Locks as they were fast to fit and yes when the car left the shop/fitting area yes all the lights worked as the connections were new.

Many many cars came back after a period of time with some light not working from the 12N and 12S electrical sockets on the back of the car close to the tow ball.

Usually i'd replace it with another Scotch Lock as the original one had failed in some way so the boss say charged £20 for fixing the car but I knew it would be back.

Yes they are fast and convenient to fit but will cut some of the headlamp wires because of the load they take/diameter etc and will work short term.

If they get wet they will give up the ghost so to speak much more quickly.

I am not having a go at anybody but just telling the truth.

Regards. Mike.

............so you unwillingly suffered the same as me then, Mike169 !!! Credit to you for wanting to do a proper job, but not being allowed to !!

Maybe I should be thanking your former boss for some business !!  Awful darned cheapskate things !!

Like Lucas stuff = " Loose, Unsoldered Connections And Splices " / Lucas - Patent holders of the short circuit / Lucas light switch positions  = Off, Dim, Dimmer.

Though you probably didn't have to go out on freezing cold, wet nights to breakdowns caused by them !!

I envisaged a "light bar" as one of those chrome things that used to be fitted in the days when they were bolted to the bumper and festooned with lights trying to emulate rally cars and for impaling and disembowelling anyone unfortunate enough to come into close contact with them !

Any such fitting to an Aygo, or any modern car for that matter whether mounted to a "bar" or directly to bodywork nowadays could, ( should ! ) be an instantly MoT fail, like bonnet mounted ornaments, for example.

4 x 4 owners didn't like the scrutiny some of their ( sometimes illegal - for road use anyway ) that we gave some of their rather dubious fitments at test time !!

• Like 1