Do Not Sell My Personal Information

RAV4 D4D Engine Bay Heat...

dawsieboy84

We have a 2005 Rav4 D4D that has done 155k....

Even though the temp gauge never goes above half way the engine does get ridiculously hot and smells hot! the main issue we have is hot starting whereby it cranks but wont go, and if you wait five mins for the needle to drop even a millimetre below half way it fires up again....

SCV valves and Battery all good plus all filters changed and new coolant!

I am so close to changing the starter but if I can get around it I will.... it just appears the starter is suffering from heat soak... if you pour cold water on it then it fires up no drama!

Anyone seen a quick fix as we are selling it and I dont want anyone to suffer the same issues as the rest of the car is spot on!

Thanks in advance...

P.S. if it is a case of getting the starter off and cleaning it out plus repair does anyone have a how to? Haynes is zero help and it looks so fiddly to get to the bolts!

Just get a service exchange from an auto electrical shop or ecp anywhere from 80 to 150 quid.

Must be carbon brush dust  build up conducting heat and voltage through to chassis causing a lock down of ECU functions.

Brush wear is apparent hence I'd suggest to get replaced so next owner doesn't suffer

Similar problem solved on this forum a few weeks ago. The starter motor was wrapped in heat insulation to minimise heat soak. There are purpose made heat jackets available which  are fitted to the motor  - neater I guess than using exhaust heat strip.

10 hours ago, gjnorthall said:

Similar problem solved on this forum a few weeks ago. The starter motor was wrapped in heat insulation to minimise heat soak. There are purpose made heat jackets available which  are fitted to the motor  - neater I guess than using exhaust heat strip.

any idea where this was?

plus would cleaning it out first be beneficial?

RAV4.2 Starter Motor Relay

By RAV4-D4D,  May 17 in Rav 4 Club 

Have a look at the above thread. Dismantling the motor, cleaning and lubricating will do more good than harm. Might be worth obtaining a new set of carbon brushes beforehand - the old ones may be well worn. 

5 hours ago, dawsieboy84 said:

any idea where this was?

plus would cleaning it out first be beneficial?

Hi I hope the below address will be of help to you. Regards. Mike.

https://www.google.com/search?q=heat+jackets+for+a+toyota+diesel+d4d+engine&oq=heat+jackets+for+a+toyota+diesel+d4d&aqs=chrome.1.69i57j33.27556j0j8&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

1 hour ago, gjnorthall said:

RAV4.2 Starter Motor Relay

By RAV4-D4D,  May 17 in Rav 4 Club 

Have a look at the above thread. Dismantling the motor, cleaning and lubricating will do more good than harm. Might be worth obtaining a new set of carbon brushes beforehand - the old ones may be well worn. 

everything points to heat soak as a new more powerful Battery was purchased which improved but did not solve...

the overriding evidence here is the fact that as soon as that temp needle drops even 1mm below halfway the car will fire up, albeit after a few seconds cranking! 

if it is at max temp (halfway on gauge) it just cranks and cranks with no bang and accompanied by an almost thudding sound!?

I’ll just leave this here for reference.

I found wrapping the starter helped but then it started to not start from cold (you'd turn the key and get nothing!)

I have now thoroughly cleaned the Battery connections and both the earth cables - there is one off the negative terminal of the Battery onto the chassis and one under the air filter (you have remove this to get at it - easy to do). 

Since then I have had no issues, it is great from cold and just slightly sluggish when hot but it fires up!

The four things I did to 'fix' it were:

Cleaned earth

Replaced Battery

Replaced starter

Wrapped starter