Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Celica T-Sport rattle when accelerating

Ashtonm00

Hi all,

I have just become the proud owner of a 2003 facelift Celica T-Sport. I have noticed that when accelerating, there seems to the a slight rattle which I THINK is originating from the right-hand side of the engine bay (right-hand side from sitting in it, so ...front off-side?) but I couldn't be certain. I suppose I need to test it does it in neutral then pop the hood & pull the throttle cable.

It almost sounds like a loose chain kind of rattle & is more apparent when accelerating slowly or say creeping up a steep hill slowly where minimal power is required. When on full throttle, it's not really noticeable. 

I am wondering if it could be the timing chain tensioner perhaps? I think that may be on the opposite side of the engine though but again I am not absolutely certain which area it's coming from. I know factually that it's definitely only when applying gas & more pronounced at low RPM.

The car seems fine otherwise - no knocks or rattles, tight & pulls well. LIFT definitely engages but definitely doesn't seem as brutal/Jekyll & Hyde as I was expecting! 

Any thoughts would be good. I can try & get a recording of it. I need to check if it does it in neutral also.

Cheers.

Ash   

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links