Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Cabin filter

Phil T

With the African desert dust heading our way and following a pollution of Peugeots I was thinking about replacing the cabin filter with a carbon activated version, however, on removing the old one it's a grey colour and I cannot determine if it is indeed a carbon one or just dirty. As it's now 14 months old and there were just a few insects and odd bits in it, there was little dust coming off it. I cannot believe that Toyota would put an activated carbon one in as standard and the only marking on it I can make out is MUFT4.

Looking for a replacement is a nightmare, not many sites list one and those that do show some odd sizes but I don't fancy dealer prices. So anyone know the correct part number and does a white (if it did start out white) clean filter look uniformly grey after 14 months, from the smells it lets in I'm sure it's not an activated carbon version :wacko: 

I bought a cabin filter for my Gen3 Prius from eBay and it was grey to start with.

What are the dimensions of the old filter you have??

One of the things with activated carbon is that it becomes de-activated over time. So, it might be time that it was replaced.  I don't understand what you mean by" pollution of Peugeots".

It should be possible to by an activated carbon filter for most cars for £15.  You could buy a standard pollen filter for less.

The one with activated carbon i bought was gray-ish and had black speckles, but i guess that was more for looks.

However, it had that distinct charcoal-like smell, esp once you turn the AC on, for maybe a minute,  which i did not like that much.

Best way to test is to smell it, if you notice some smell of fuel just get it replaced. I change mine every two months, I use Blueprint standard one not with active carbon and after only 10k miles becomes same colour like the one with carbon. Pollution at its best. This filter it’s most important in the car, it actually protects you not the car. With normal driving minimum once a year. 

Please look at the difference between new and 10k miles old, mostly motorway journeys. 

AF535A38-196C-4BD1-BF3E-A2E029B9FE26.jpeg

7925721E-688A-41C2-B52E-0570FD6D6DB9.jpeg

You can buy from here: https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.co.uk%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F390971994741

25 minutes ago, furtula said:

The one with activated carbon i bought was gray-ish and had black speckles, but i guess that was more for looks.

However, it had that distinct charcoal-like smell, esp once you turn the AC on, for maybe a minute,  which i did not like that much.

What car is it for?

1 hour ago, Stivino said:

I don't understand what you mean by" pollution of Peugeots".

A 'pollution' is the collective noun for a group of stinking old French diesel rattlewagons. 🙂

Do activated carbon filters last longer than a normal pollen filter, or are they just designed do a better job? 

51 minutes ago, Ten Ninety said:

A 'pollution' is the collective noun for a group of stinking old French diesel rattlewagons. 🙂

Do activated carbon filters last longer than a normal pollen filter, or are they just designed do a better job? 

They do a slightly different job.  The paper element part is what removes the impurities from the air, i.e. dust, leaves etc.  The "activated" carbon does a slightly different thing.  The filter in your cooker hood is activated carbon.  If you looked at it through a microscope it would look like a sponge with thousands of little holes in it, this gives it a massive surface area.  Is purpose is to remove taste and odour from the air, that is why it is activated.  However, the activation won't last forever and the filter might need to be replaced even though it looks clean.  It is activated to attract the taste and odours, in a similar way to a magnet, but by chemistry.

• Thanks 1

Part numbers 

87139-YZZ33 Is a standard Filter £15.52 

87139-YZZ34 Is Carbon activated £23.97

Part numbers 
87139-YZZ33 Is a standard Filter £15.52 
87139-YZZ34 Is Carbon activated £23.97

When you Google for the carbon part number, the going rate for compatible parts from reputable brands is around £5. Even premium brands are £15. I wish OEM parts weren't so expensive.

My standard OEM paper filter was a dark grey after one year of use (with free dead wasp). With the amount of diesels on the roads these days, I'm not surprised.

I change them every year.

Thanks everyone for the information, yes the filter does stink, and that's without the help of the Peugeots ! Thanks Ten Ninety, saved me from explaining that one.

Dimensions if your going to do the job 225 x 186 x 30 some are 1 or 2 mm different. If you search for the the late model years you are met with lots and lots of the earlier versions  Check the dimensions.

American video here. Drop door, damper clip off (finger job), push stop clips in right then left, givers more leverage that way, door drops down and it pulls off the hinges straight back towards you. You can do it with it on the hinges but it will probably drop off anyway.

NOTE our filter housing has the slide in tabs on the right, clips on the left. Though it does have a clip on the right that does nothing. Note the orientation of the filter tray, the two ribs are at the bottom, and note the filter FITS in the TRAY. One Chinese video shows pulling the tray and filter out, then putting back just the filter! There is a rib going across the tray and this should slip in between the folds as you replace the filter. The filter has either up arrow or air flow on it. Replacements are between £8 and £50 so check what you are getting. Most ( some strange unknown brands crop up) apart from the Chinese versions are from OEM companies, maybe not Toyota but they should be of very good standard. Unfortunately Which has not got round to testing the Best Buy yet :smile:

• Like 2

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links