Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Yaris minor accident

sam0056

Hi fellow toyota owners i need some advice following a recent minor prang. I came round corner where i live onto a minor side road where there was a stationery car in the middle of the road and i could not work out what he was doing so after some hesitation i decided to maneuver around him at which precise point he decided to reverse colliding with the rear passengers side quarter of my car leaving a scratch and a dent. We  both exited our cars and he begun apologising over and over and we exchanged names insurance etc  and he said he would phone me the following day. The  next day we discussed settling outside of insurance which would suit us both considering my car is an 03 plate and would most likely be written off as total loss. The issue which now arose was that the guy was willing to settle for £100 cash which to me considering the damage to my car was insulting  the car would need dents pulling out and a respray to look half decent. So long story short i decided to phone my insurance who began the process of evaluating the damage to my car etc and today as i expected when i took the car for evaluation at there approved choice of bodyshop after a short inspection of the car and taking pictures of the damage and the cars mileage the assessor informed me that the whole quarter panel would need replacing and then respraying which would be over a thousand pounds and not a viable option. The car is otherwise in  great condition mechanically sound and well looked after with 6months MOT still remaining. My question to anyone here in the know would be does anyone know if the car will be allowed to be sold back to me following being written off  and which category is it likely to come under as the damage is only superficial body panel dent and scratches would that be a Cat N or S and would they require me to carry out a new MOT in the event they allow me to buy it back. My insurers are Hastings direct and i will try to attach a couple of photos of the damage than you all for reading

car1.jpg

car2.jpg

• Like 1

• 4 months later...

Not sure if it will be allowed to be sold back to you following being written off. Maybe someone else has answers to this.

On 7/23/2019 at 9:13 PM, sam0056 said:

does anyone know if the car will be allowed to be sold back to me following being written off  and which category is it likely to come under as the damage is only superficial body panel dent and scratches would that be a Cat N or S and would they require me to carry out a new MOT in the event they allow me to buy it back. My insurers are Hastings direct and i will try to attach a couple of photos of the damage than you all for reading

Insurance companies used to let you buy the car back since it saves them loads of hassle/money collecting, delivering, selling/disposal etc.  It's well worth an ask.

The current write-off categories seem to be N (non structural) and S (structural), so in theory yours should be N, but it's probably down to the individual assessor.  I don't think it'll make any difference to your car tho since it's value is quite low anyway.  It'll probably need a new MOT, but that bash won't affect an MOT unless there's jaggy edges I can't see in the pics.  From a value point of view I'd try to get it for nothing, and I certainly wouldn't pay more than a couple of hundred quid for it.  It'd cost a few hundred to get the repair done to a decent standard then the car is only worth a couple/few hundred as an ex write-off.

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

Did you buy it back in the end ?

Friend of mine is in the same situation.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links