Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Corolla Servicing UK?

luckydenvermint

Hi all,

Just wondering if anyone has the maintenance manual with their new Corolla for the servicing intervals and which of these are interim or full.

I’m just trying to weigh up a maintenance package deal on a lease car and whether it’s worth it or buying it elsewhere.

Thanks

Servicing is every 10,000 miles / 12 months whichever is soonest

Intermediate services are £190 due @ 10k 1yr, 30k 3yr , 50k 5yr , 70k 7yr etc

Full services are £340 due @ 20k 2yr, 40k 4yr, 60k 6yr etc

• Like 1

Thank you Devon,

That’s really helpful - are those prices servicing with Toyota?

I’m likely getting a two year lease so I’m thinking realistically I should only have to cover the interim at £190 and either hand the car back slightly early or leave the interim for as long as possible without missing the interval so that the second one is due a week or two after I hand the car back.

Yes, those would be Toyota's fixed price service costs.

As a taxi driver we are given lower prices for the servicing schedule at toyota probably due to the miles we cover

£110 for intermediate 

£190 for major

• Like 1

• 2 years later...

A used Corolla 1.8 has 32k mileage. 1.5 years old.

1st service at 18k and 2nd service at 27k.

Ex-company car from Toyota workers.

Is that bad that 1st service is at 18k?

15 minutes ago, soonhouse19 said:

Service intervals are 12 months or 10,000 miles, whichever occurs first.

First service was overdue by 8,000 miles.

At 32,000 miles car should have had three services - @ 10,000, 20,000 and 30,000. So not only was the first service well overdue, it is missing one service.

Look around for something else.

• Like 3

The first service is particularly important and that is waaaaay too long. There's a good chance that car will be burning oil at some point. Avoid imo unless you get an amazing deal and you don't plan to keep it very long. 

• Like 1

Yeah, the manufacturer warranty will be void on that car because the service interval was missed. Clearly not been looked after, which is particularly bad given it was used by the dealership. Apparently not a very conscientious dealership...

As Hardy says, if you can get an absolute boatload of money off the car then worth a punt, but it'd be a risk long term and there are better deals out there... probably better dealers too!

Given how strict Toyota are on service intervals to customers this is pretty poor showing.

Also, as an aside, I don't know why you necro-posted this here; This topic really should be split off into its own thread!

It is okay to start new threads!!

4 minutes ago, Cyker said:

Clearly not been looked after, which is particularly bad given it was used by the dealership.

Hasn't said it is from a dealership - just 'a company car from Toyota workers', whatever that means.

• Like 1

True; I read it to mean it was one of the cars formerly used by a dealer's salesperson as they usually get a car to use as part of their employment, but as you say it might not be that!

• Like 1

Does anyone know how the fact that a service was overdue would affect the Toyota Relax warranty?  Without reading the small print it says 12 months warranty with every Toyota service.

The Relax warranty is 12 months or 10,000 miles, whichever occurs first. 

So if a car is under the Relax warranty, and  a service is overdue whether on the time basis or mileage basis, the car would be out of warranty until the next service is done.

Otherwise if a car has had an overdue service earlier in its life, presume it would be treated similarly to the new car warranty, where a warranty claim which is dependent on the correct servicing having being done, may be refused.

• Like 1

I think Toyota may reject any warranty claim that are only connected to the engine as first service is only oil and filter . If the current owner make a claim about oil consumption then they may refuse, but if a water pump goes bad for example this should be done under warranty. That’s my thoughts only. I maybe wrong about it. 

• Like 2

Yeah got to remember a warranty covers faults as a result of design or manufacturing defect. If a car is burning oil/low compression/misfires for example and it hasn't been serviced properly then there is a good chance that Toyota would refuse to fix it for free. That only applies where the lack of servicing likely caused the fault. The car would still be under warranty for everything not related to that 

• Like 3

It's a bit of a grey area and is one reason I was surprised that they introduced the Relax scheme as it may open them up to a lot of warranty claims.

In theory, any problems with the car should be picked up during the service, and those would not be covered under the warranty, but anything that comes up after that should be covered.

Now, as a lot of us have found, a lot of dealers are not exactly thorough, so a lot of problems could be missed and then brought up once the car had its service, triggering the 1 year warranty, and the onus would then be on the dealer as they'd given the car a clean bill of health.

In reality it's all up in the air - We've already had a few members refused repairs under the relax, being told it wasn't covered when it clearly was, and had to argue their case, so I think it'll depend a lot on the dealer and the customer's bullishness/charisma

21 hours ago, soonhouse19 said:

Ok the 1st service was actually 13700 which was done at 7 months old and then 2nd at 18k 2 months later. Then 3rd at 27k 3 months later.

First stamp was missed as book was misplaced but they had a service check sheet which confirms it was done.

It was someone at the headquarter that drove it.

Now is 13700 1st service at 7 months old a bit better? 

It's a little better, but the warranty is still voided - When I asked Toyota about the service scheduling, as I do more than 10,000 miles a year, they said if I went even a mile over 10,000 the factory warranty would be void - This sucks as I wanted to have regular annual servicing, but now I have to do it at random times of the year when the car comes up to the next 10,000 miles - My first service was at ~9000 miles after only 7 months of ownership, and the next one is coming up in the next few months!

47 minutes ago, soonhouse19 said:

Now is 13700 1st service at 7 months old a bit better? 

Same general principles above apply but this is probably not horrific. 13700 in 7 months indicates a lot of the driving was likely motorway cruising which ruins the oil more slowly. Not to say there's no risk but much less so at only 3700 over the interval. Imo unlikely you'll have problems with it and that would not put me off personally. Again, don't pay too much but I would go for it.

If you do want it still, get them to confirm the state of the warranty in writing - If it is void, you should be able to get a good chunk of money off it as that will impact its value a lot.

Did Toyota extend service intervals during Covid?  I know other manufacturers did.  Perhaps this could explain the late service?

• Like 1

From memory, for any services due during the first lockdown (March 2019-June 2019), they allowed these to be done late (ie after garages re-opened on 4th June 2019). However the next service would have been due as per the original schedule.

For example if a service was originally due on 1st April 2019, it could have been carried out after the 4th June 2019, but the next service would still have been due 1st April 2020.

• Like 1

That's a good point; I think the car is old enough to be past that period, but deffo worth checking...

The Corolla was only launched in March 2019 - the start of the first lockdown.

As the service was done when the car was 7 months old, and assuming the car was first registered in March 2019 (and it may have been first registered later than March), the earliest the service could have been was around October 2019.

This is a while after the first lockdown, when Toyota allowed delayed servicing, so doesn't seem to explain the late service.

• Like 1