Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Call quality depends on where the phone is located inside the car!?!

gabemc1

Evening

I’ve just came across this very interesting thing in my 18 Yaris hybrid. The outgoing call quality seems to depend on where I keep the phone inside the car. If I keep it anywhere near the central console (cup holders) or on the right hand side above the air vent, the person on the other side of the line can barely understand a thing. If I move it to the passenger side (glove box and the passenger door bin) the quality is a lot better. Can anybody else confirm this? Am I going crazy?

Cheers,

Gabe

How are you connecting the phone to the car is the first question?

If your phone is fully connected via bluetooth, the position of the phone is completely irrelevant since the mic used in this scenario is actually on the dashboard (see attached) and that leads me to conclude that you don't seem to be connected fully handsfree correctly?

post-126463-0-77074600-1433547221_thumb.jpg

You also need to make sure that your incoming and outgoing volumes are set correctly... (in settings)

Thanks. I forgot to mention. Phone (iPhone SE) connected via bluetooth. Outgoing volume is already set to Max. I know the position of the phone should not matter, but I tested it (and heard it myself) and it does matter!? 

Apparently I'm not the only one noticing this https://www.toyotaownersclub.com/forums/topic/157428-bluetooth-phone-sound-issue/?do=findComment&comment=1324223

It doesn't help you, but our iPhones work absolutely anywhere in our Yaris.  Mine was in a bag in the boot the other day and it still worked.

I suggest you go to your local Toyota dealer and get them to fix your issue.  After all, your Yaris is still under warranty, and you have an obvious defect.

Mick.

I have a Samsung phone and if I leave it in my house, say 30 feet from the car and I get in the car, Rav 4, and put the ancillaries/ignition on the car still picks it up instantly.

Regards, Mike.

49 minutes ago, Mike169 said:

I have a Samsung phone and if I leave it in my house, say 30 feet from the car and I get in the car, Rav 4, and put the ancillaries/ignition on the car still picks it up instantly.

Regards, Mike.

Similarly with my Motorola phone Mike if it's left in the house for some reason - e.g. I forget to take it with me!

The instant I start to reverse into the drive, the display in the car shows telephone connected and bluetooth device connected. That would be many feet between phone and car.

It has be either Gabriel's fruity phone, (with respect)operator error, faulty head unit etc..

• Like 1

Thanks for the helpful content. I thought I was the only one who had same issue :D

Thanks all. I will give it another go when I get home with an Android phone. I doubt it's user error - you cannot change anything that would influence the outgoing volume,  apart from the outgoing volume in the general settings; other than that it's pretty much "plug(in this case connect to bluetooth)-and-play" It was fine up until recently so it's either the car playing up, or the phone. I will let you know in a couple of hours what's going on 🙂

If moving the phone about in the car affects the outgoing call quality, that would suggest that for some reason, the mic on the phone is still active and that the phone is not taking its outgoing phone audio stream from the car's mic via bluetooth. That sounds as if either something is not enabled correctly on the phone or there is a fault in the car's head unit bluetooth module. One thing you could try is to turn the phone off completely and restart it (not just a simple screen off - a full restart).

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links