Do Not Sell My Personal Information

End of summerholiday, trip status.

nielshm

2300 mile long trip to Switzerland and Italy has ended. I've calculated all my fuel reciepts, and ends up with an average 45,2 mpg. All kind of driving has been included, a lot of motorway, German 'stau', heavy mountain climbing, slow city driving, daily family excursions. 

I don't think thats too bad? A nonhybrid with CVT? Only one trip going over a mountain in Switzerland in 2.250 m., that was truly a nightmare. Painfully slow, very heavy climbing, and at one stop to shoot photos, eveything just smelled really hot. And fuel running through like dropping a stone in water. 

In Switzerland, one of my headlights died, so I went to a Swiss Toyota dealer, since HIR2 bulbs can't be found anywhere. 70 CHF or 60 GBP for just one bulb. Insane, totally madness. 

Where has you been going this summer with your Auris? 

• Like 1

My C-HR uses the same bulb, HIR2, I got a pair in Halfords for approx £44. And I always thought you were supposed to carry spare bulbs when driving in Europe.

Not sure for other countries in EU, but where i live you don't have to have spare bulbs with you.

Most of the new cars require bumper to be removed, or similar, to replace it, so it's not really a roadside thing, so police either dont care, or they made it official that you dont need it.

I still carry a bunch of ones i can replace.

I replaced both the HIR2 bulbs on my Auris after one died. From memory, it cost me about £20 for the Osrams, and the job was quick and easy. A small mirror and an LED headtorch from Poundland can make a difference to visibility.

Now, if you want a really hard bulb change, try doing the nearside headlight on a Ford Focus! It helps if you've got a double-jointed four year old around the place. :biggrin:

I didn't have spare bulbs, but my local Toyota dealer only charge me 60 GBP for TWO bulbs, so the price x2 in Switzerland.