Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Back door never locked

Bolivarian

The back door on my Auris is never locked. When I open the door, the rest of the car is unlocked, so no security at all!. The manual is no help; it talks about 2 buttons for locking and unlocking that I don't see at all. Am I missing something? Any advice would be appreciated.

Auris manual.jpg

When you say 'back door', do you mean hatch door/tailgate or rear passenger door?

Assuming the former, then if the key fob is with you when you attempt to open the hatch, then the door will open even if it was correctly locked beforehand.  That is assuming that you have the Excel model with 'hands free' locking and unlocking.  The unlocking is pretty instant, and the car's indicators will flash briefly to acknowledge that the car has been unlocked by your attempt at opening the hatch.

Try opening the boot after you have locked the car and left the key fob a few metres away from the car - It should stay locked.

To the immediate right of the boot opening button on the hatch door itself, is the locking button, but only if you have the Excel trim or equivalent!  You can spot it more easily when the hatch is in the raised position - it's black rubber, the same as the hatch release.  If you press this small circular button with the key fob very nearby then it will lock the whole car.  Also, touching the front door handles at the front end (two horizontal strops set in the plastic) will similarly lock the whole car on an Excel.

Do let me know if I have answered the wrong question!  ido you mean 'how can I stop someone from opening the boot whilst I am in the car stationary in traffic?'.

Hi Robin.

First of all welcome to our club.

if you are still having problems give this man a call, he is a Toyota main parts person and very friendly.

You will get through to a switchboard, just ask for John Devlin, aka Kingo, aka The Parts King.

01244 821031

Thank you very much, Gerg, you have solved the problem. My wife and I have both been in habit of leaving our keys just inside the (house) front door; not really wise, anyway. When I removed them to the kitchen, the boot/tailgate remained locked!

Thank you Mike169 as well.

• Like 1

You can get a small containers that prevent the keys signals from going out, so you can still keep it in the same place, just inside those containers.

9 minutes ago, furtula said:

You can get a small containers that prevent the keys signals from going out, so you can still keep it in the same place, just inside those containers.

Hi, they are called Faraday pouches available from Amazon and similar places.

Regards, Mike.

18 hours ago, furtula said:

My car is a 2015 Auris Excel and I can stop the key fob emitting an "unlock" signal.  After locking the car as usual hold down the "close" button on the key fob and then press the "open" button on the key fob twice in quick succession. When the key fob stops flashing then the car is safe.

Thank you all for your help. I happen to have some pockets for protecting credit cards and they work fine for the keys.