Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Clutch Warranty

Chriscummings

Hi all

Overnight my 2016 Aygo developed a clutch issue and the dealer has confirmed it is a warranty repair. However. They said they need to replace the friction plate at the same time to prevent damage even though it's not worn but say its chargeable. Surely if a nin worn part requires replacing because of a warranty claim on another failed part it cannot be chargeable????? Any thoughts guys

Which part are they replacing under warranty?

Do you have an Aygo and a Yaris - does your profile need amending.

Profile updated my error. They didnt say what part. I parked up then after restarting n hour later the clutch bite was  mile different. Took it to the Toyota dealer and he sat in said ok it's a problem and after stripping it down said warranty but we need to change the friction plate at the same time with a £93 charge. 

Without knowing what part was covered under warranty, difficult to advise.

Clutches on manual cars have a limited warranty  - usually around six months from first registration and this is common across a number of manufacturers -  as they are viewed as a wear and tear item.

there are only a few components to a clutch ,friction plate,pressure plate,release bearing & a cable or slave cylinder.

i'd of thought the pressure plate is to be changed under warranty as none of the other parts

are in contact with the friction plate, if the pressure plate has failed and this has damaged the friction plate in any way

then the whole clutch should be replaced under warranty.

What exactly is the fault with the pressure plate?

3 hours ago, Chriscummings said:

Hi all

Overnight my 2016 Aygo developed a clutch issue and the dealer has confirmed it is a warranty repair. However. They said they need to replace the friction plate at the same time to prevent damage even though it's not worn but say its chargeable. Surely if a nin worn part requires replacing because of a warranty claim on another failed part it cannot be chargeable????? Any thoughts guys

I would ask the garage to show you why/how the plate is damaged and if it is damaged reasonably explain why the damage is not related to the warrantable failure.

If there is no damage to the friction plate and only wear then there is no obligation to replace it either under warranty or for you to pay however it could be considered a good idea as you have the opportunity to have a new friction plate installed and only pay the cost of the Friction plate.

On 7/24/2019 at 3:17 PM, Chriscummings said:

Hi all

You are correct. Check your toyota service book- under 'Items not covered under waranty (page 11), it says the normal maintenance services such as replacement of clutch linings are not covered; However, if they are required as part of a warranty repair then they are covered by the warranty.

51 minutes ago, Tazz56 said:

They said they need to replace the friction plate at the same time to prevent damage

What kind of damage?  If they want to replace it, it should be at their cost especially as they say it's not worn.  Any time I ever had to replace a clutch part under warranty, the whole lot was replaced under warranty, with no quibbles.

do you think the dealer is trying to make a little extra money out of the repair

as toyota pay a reduced hourly labour rate to the dealer for any warranty repairs.

Can you tell us the mileage of your car?
Manual gearbox or MMT?
What were the symptoms, what did you feel?

If the mileage is low, I would ask Toyota (the head office, not the dealer) to pay the costs or at least a part. Apart from the warranty, it seems legitimate.

It has been some time since I am checking the ads. An abnormally high amount of Aygos have had their clutch replaced very early. The problem was supposed to be identified and corrected since 2009. The truth is that there are many Aygos mk1 from later than 2009 and many Aygos mk2 which clutch failed. So despite what they say and how surprise they may look, I think dealer mechanics are well aware that Aygos have always had a weak clutch.

Replacing a clutch before 45 000 miles is NOT normal. Even if the car was driven mainly in town, especially as it is supposed to be a city car.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links