Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Modifying and upgrading an Auris 1.33vvt

Spiike0317

Hi

I've always wanted to tune up a car and having bought an Auris because it's the sensible practical option I'd love to give it a bit more oooomph. 

Problem is I can't find a haynes manual or similar to give me a steer as to car components so having something to work against for upgrades is down to my (questionable) ability to measure and judge. 

Any advice or pointers to websites or garages with knowledge of the car I can contact? Or better still anyone done any upgrades to their Auris? 

Personally I think it's a cracking car, I just wish it had a bit more va va voom! 

Can theese guys help? https://www.sedox-performance.com/tuning/cars/toyota/auris-i/1-33-dual-vvt-i-101hp-132nm

Upgrading is 99% illeagal, but just about the only choice you have, since Upgrading or replacing engine components is too expensive, if they excist in 'racing versions'. 

I checked my own 1.2T engine, and one thing seems weird. My car redlines at 5500 rpm. Their dynotest goes up to 7000 rpm to find maximum hp. According to Toyota, maximum power is present at 5200 rpm, something is not right. 

Upgrading airfilters, spark plugs, engine oil, gearbox oil, exhaust, might give you 3-4 hp, but can you feel it? 

I suggest you contact PartsKing who is active on this forum. He is in the know.

Probably cheapest route for you is a tuning electronic box. Do an internet or eBay search for your model. Prices from £30 to £230. Some better then others probably, that’s why best to contact PartsKing, he can advise you.

There is very little scope for power increases from a naturally aspirated petrol without having major engine work done. The Sedox link posted above suggests a 10 bhp improvement which is about the limit of what a remap can achieve with this type of engine.

• Like 3

Since I own the same car with the same engine, I have accepted the car's performance and appreciate it for what it is.

The only things that I am looking is do a neat simple audio upgrade as the factory system is useless and terrible, get a nice set of wheels and maybe 30mm springs to drop slightly. It is still running the OEM exhaust system with the CAT still in place and I saw on the Internet that these car's have an aftermarket Air filter available.

I enjoy the car as it is comfortable and reliable as it does its daily duties with no fuss at all with no issues at all.

There are cars that are meant to be good realible daily drives.

What I have do to date is just lighting LED (interior and exterior) upgrade. My car already has the wiring for fog lights so I will also buy a set and install.

Sent from my SM-A500F using Tapatalk

• 2 weeks later...

I have the same engine in the Yaris which is a lighter platform and the 99bhp is entertaining though need some work to get going.

I was wondering why they fitted this in the Auris as it would make for a fairly sluggish proposal. I guess this was the newest small motor Mr T had before fittings small turbos came mainstream in the model lineup.

Sent from my Mi A2 Lite using Tapatalk

The 1.33 101bhp replaced the previous 1.4 (which was used in the 2002-2007 Corolla) in the Auris from late 2008. Offered similar performance, smaller, lighter, lower emissions and better fuel economy. 

I had two from new and they were OK.

https://www.carscoops.com/2008/11/toyota-auris-new-133-liter-dual-vvt-i/

The 1.5 offered in the current petrol Yaris is a re-worked 1.33.

The difference between the 1.33L and the old 1.4L is night and day when you drive them side by side. I have the 1.33L and also our ancient 2003 4 door Corolla with the 1.4 engine. The 1.4 always feels alive with its instant throttle response, something the 1.33 can't come close to with its heavily managed emissions systems under tight control of the ECU. The 1.4 also feels pretty darned quick when you give it some real welly, in fact before I got the Auris I had a 190 bhp Corolla T Sport and it is true to say the 1.4 never left you feeling short changed in comparison (apart from when T Sport entered the lift zone of course). The 1.4 reminds me of the old (late 80's) 1.3L Astra's that we used to drive at work.

The economy of the 1.33 is great, in fact I filled up on Saturday and squeezed in 44.39 litres which is 9.77 gallons. Mileage covered on the trip over three weeks had been 490 giving an mpg of 50.15. The average displayed on the trip meter was 50.8. On the Saturday I covered around 20 miles after filling up including motorway for around 8 miles and having reset the trip after filling was rewarded with 62.5 mpg showing when I got home. Two days more use and its down to around 53 mpg showing. The range was showing 55 miles remaining when I did fill up. Seems very conservative.    

I had a 2006 Corolla Colour Collection 1.4, and by then the throttle response was also affected by emissions controls, in a similar way to the Auris.

Our 1.4 has a throttle cable, not drive by wire like the 1.33 and so I would guess that your later 1.4 was from after they changed to drive by wire.

these units reduce the amount of lag you get from the accelerator as long as its drive by wire and not with a cable connecting pedal - throttle body.

100% worth buying.

https://www.diesel-performance.co.uk/tuning/car/toyota/auris-from-2006-to-2012/1-33-dual-vvti-nre150_-101ps74kw-1329-ccm/#go