Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

aircon

Ray.P

Hi , new here, just got a late 2015 Aygo xplay, when I switch aircon on the engine runs rough surges at times and does not seem right ? It ha only 22000 on clock and when I picked it up it had all the checks and services completed. Has anyone had this problem and what could it be please?

Thanks

Ray

It is normal for the engine revs to rise a little as the compressor engages. Depending on the system used the compressor may cycle on and off three or four times a minute and that means you will see a rise and fall in revs when this occurs. It should never sound rough though.  

Have you not had a car with air con before?   If not, that could possibly explain why you concerned.  Air con systems can be mechanically driven ie through the belt system (or chain) on the end of the engine.  When you switch your air con on there is an extra load to drive the air con unit which upsets the rhythm of the engine, noticeable particularly when idling at say 800rpm (about the norm). The engine has an extra load to deal with but is at tickover, so can become erratic and tries to compensate for the extra load. I suspect that is what you are feeling/hearing. Its normal. Of course if the tickover is too slow (800rpm was just an example) the load would be more noticeable.  Thats my slant.

As per Mooley...... rough can have a different meaning to different people, and if someone has not experienced it before rough may mean more than what it is.  

Many thanks for your reply, much appreciated I will take this on board.

Thank you

Ray 

Shouldn't run rough and/or surge. Even though I've a slightly older model, I doubt if they changed the air con system over the years. I know when the air con kicks in, coz I hear the click of the electromagnetic clutch engaging. The engine ECU raises the idle speed at exactly the same time, to compensate for the increased load on the engine. The engine neither runs rough, surges or increases in revs though!

My xcite is sluggish and I can feel the power decrease when using my air con 

Turn it off and it’s nippy and responsive 

I thought it’s because it’s only a small engine and it takes power from it 

7 minutes ago, Bitch1001 said:

My xcite is sluggish and I can feel the power decrease when using my air con 

Turn it off and it’s nippy and responsive 

I thought it’s because it’s only a small engine and it takes power from it 

I agree, because the air con cycles on and off, you can certainly detect when the compressor has kicked in.

Agree, as soon as I turn aircon off it runs sweet as a nut again. 

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links