Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Map & Media issues like software stuck

Puremagic

My Yaris for the past two weeks sometimes when I click for maps the screen doesn’t load, it’s a case of switching engine on and off a couple of times then it will load.  There is this issues also the map voice doesn’t work even though volume is up.  Yesterday the maps wouldn’t come on and pressing media that wouldn’t change from the radio. The car button etc and phone works.  The other issue yesterday when driving and even though I turned the engine off a couple of times it wouldn’t fix the maps but driving the speedo seemed to keep sticking and was so slow to accelerate only wanted to do 60.

she was serviced in April and everything was ok,  the Battery was checked last winter and all was ok.  It’s done about 47,000 miles.

any advice would be appreciated before I take it to a garage.

cheers. 

Hi Sarah and welcome to the forum. Quick couple of questions first, what type of Yaris is it and when it was last serviced, who was it by? 

Thank you for replying. 

It’s a 1 litre manual one.   It was serviced by a Toyota recognised garaged and it was in April this year.  

I hope this help. 

When you say "Toyota recognised garage", do you mean a Toyota Dealer or not?

Is the head unit standard as far as you can tell? By that I mean is it a standard Toyota Touch & Go unit? (as it would have been in 2012) Finally, I suppose that the crucial question is when did the Nav (Maps) unit last work properly?

Just a quick point about the Nav volume. Even though it has a separate control in the settings page on the head unit, it is linked with overall volume. By that I mean, if you turn the main volume down, the Nav volume goes down also. So, if your Nav volume was low already (say 1 or 2), when you turn down the main volume it will ostensibly turn it off! (silly I know but that's how they decided to do it)

Yeah it was a dealer.

It worked fine up till a couple of weeks ago.  The only thing I can think of that I did at the same time was I tried a dash cam which was powered by the cigarette lighter.  When I did that the maps worked but no volume.  After unplugging that and restarting the car the volume came back.   I’ve spoke to a friend and she said can you remember when you tried the dash cam and the volume went. 

The maps and everything was installed when I purchased the car three years ago,   I love the maps feature except in the day when you need your lights on and he screen is that dim you cannot see anything  

8 minutes ago, Puremagic said:

Yeah it was a dealer.

Ok...

It worked fine up till a couple of weeks ago.  The only thing I can think of that I did at the same time was I tried a dash cam which was powered by the cigarette lighter.  When I did that the maps worked but no volume.  After unplugging that and restarting the car the volume came back.   I’ve spoke to a friend and she said can you remember when you tried the dash cam and the volume went. 

What type of dash cam is it? Does it have WiFi or bluetooth networking? (or both) Are they switched on?

The maps and everything was installed when I purchased the car three years ago,   I love the maps feature except in the day when you need your lights on and he screen is that dim you cannot see anything

So it's auto-dimming with the lights but going so dim you can't see it properly? Have I got that right?

Yes but it only dims that low during the day when I have the lights on. At night it’s fine I can see it.  That dimming thing has been since I got the car.

sorry if I’m not explaining things too well. 

It's ok. There's a setting for the dimming thing but that's not important at the moment.

What about the questions surrounding the dash cam?

I gave the dash cam away, the issue with the maps, sound and buttons not working when pressed is all the time. The not been able to go above 60 and slow acceleration was yesterday starting. 

Ah right. Now I think I'm understanding it better. I could be completely wrong but it sounds to me as if the power train has developed some sort of fault and the ECU (Electronic Control Unit) has gone into a state called "limp home" mode. If that's the case, I'm afraid there is no alternative but to go back to the dealer 🙁 Sorry but without a diagnostics unit and actual "hands on", that's about as far as I can advise you on here.

Just had a thought, has the 12V battery been changed as far as you know? (since the car was new)

The big Battery was tested last winter and Halfords said it was ok just needed a full recharge. So I took it off and put it on a trickle over night that was 

last thing with a Battery I know.

13 hours ago, Puremagic said:

I love the maps feature except in the day when you need your lights on and he screen is that dim you cannot see anything  

You can adjust that but it's a bit of a faff to toggle on the fly. There are 3 Settings - Day, Night & Auto (default which it sounds like yours is on). If you have it on Day all the time then it will be fine when driving during the day with lights on but will be too bright when driving at night.

How was the Dashcam installed? I wonder if they have affected the connections or fusing for the head unit?

The "limp home mode" on hybrids is often caused by overheating due to the HV Battery cooling fan filter being clogged & given the temps. that we are experiencing ...

I'm pretty sure that Sarah's car is not a hybrid Scott? There is still a "limp home" mode even on normal cars when the ECU sometimes throws a non-urgent, non-damaging error but that still needs a trip to the garage...

5 hours ago, Puremagic said:

The big battery was tested last winter and Halfords said it was ok just needed a full recharge. So I took it off and put it on a trickle over night that was 

last thing with a battery I know.

Ok well then I'm afraid that I am out of ideas to suggest on here without seeing the car...

The dash cam plugged into the cigarette lighter nothing was changed in the car.  Mine isn’t a hybid. 

thanks for the info about the settings.

Sarah Hi, arm yourself with a 12mm or 13mm spanner,loosen the + (RED) lead on the Battery and carefully take it off. Wait 2-3 minutes and re-connect it. Then start your car and see if the fault clears. It might have 'Spiked' and need a re-boot after you previously took the battery off. Good Luck.

Just wanted to post an update. Took the Battery off and left it for 20 mins and since everything seems ok,  going on a longer journey tomorrow so fingers crossed it will all be ok.

thank you so much for the advice and being patient with me. 

Glad to see that Phil's advice seems to have paid off and got you going. Let us know how it goes...