Sign in to follow this  
Djmackers

EDU (electronic driving unit) problem.2009 RAV

Hi all,

im in uk, will detail what’s up with my rav and see if anyone else has had issue/joy/experience. 

Engine management light came on and alternates between ‘check engine’ and ‘check 4x4 system’ messages showing error code p1271

car went into limp mode for about 2 weeks (low power/no acceleration, uphill was a slow process)

codes were cleared, came back on 

car was still in limp mode

local mechanic said to go to Toyota dealer to get in depth diagnostic  

got some ‘life’ back into it yesterday but not 100%

was at the Toyota dealer today

they said it was the EDU (NOT ECU)

electronic driver (or driving) unit

Said they would check it /but if needing replaced would still charge me for the checking  

So paid them £171 today

they then quoted that the new EDU would cost

£1250 + £90 to fit

I asked my local mechanic and he said that they could fit it ok but would need to tow it to a Toyota dealer to get it programmed.

Am i being ripped off?!

EC2E90BC-6F21-4932-8774-E7B9C037F5C1.jpeg

P1271 is a fault in the fuel pressure discharge circuit. One of the potential issues is no signal from the EDU to the ECU and from your description - it sounds like your Toyota dealer has traced the fault to the EDU. A dealer will simply quote you a replacement from the Toyota parts list so it's not a case of being ripped off. However before contemplating this - speak to ECU Repairs. The unit may well be repairable at a fraction of new cost. It would be a case of posting the EDU and it would be returned in a couple of days - so a job for your mechanic to remove and install - there's no programming involved. If it can't be fixed there's just a modest handling charge

• Like 1

Thanks gjnorthall for replying, it’s truely appreciated.

Would the £171 tests they done (he mentioned doing a bulletin) have physically checked the ECU or just software?

I'm guessing - but the testing would usually involve working through the failure list of the causes of P1271. It sounds like they reached a point where they found no signal from the ECD when the correct input was applied. Bulletin may refer to a technical services bulletin from Toyota detailing the investigation and remedy of a fault. 

• Like 1

http://www.baileysdiesel.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/03/P1271+1272.pdf

similar for an understanding..

hope toyota have not just picked the big dear easy option and have eliminated that the valve and circuit are good

and as above ecu repairs it will prob be a coil driver at worst in the edu that needs a new mosfet or something soldered in pcb

• Like 1

Thanks for chipping in Robster-

Im hoping the same- they did go through one of those service bulletins so assume that was them eliminating potential easier faults.

The day before I was pumping up kids bike tyre using the 12v port in the boot. 

When I was done and went to remove the pumps 12v plug/ bit you insert it fell apart/unsprung itself, I got the metal part out of the 12v port in the boot ok. 

I told the dealership about this and they said it was just coincidence that the EDU went the very next time I drove the car after this happening. 

Was thinking it’s too much of a coincidence - something electrical going wrong after something electrical messed up!

What do you guys think?

When they refit new part it I will get them to test the 12v port in boot. (It works ok like I tested with a usb charger, but just to see if it sets off the EDU / dashboard lights again) 

In my experience ECUs are protected in Thier own right on Thier own node or environment if you like.

I'd say a short circuit injector coil or the valve itself or canbus shorting problem would potentially harm the edu as they are connected.

If your power socket done harm before it's fuse blew then there would have to be some foreign wiring tapping off something on the edu environment

Think every fuse you have on your care.g.  like a wiper relay fuse blown due to a short in the relay coil could harm any ECU or module..it doesn't bear thinking about.

So I'd say if valve and wiring are ok it's just bad luck the driver in edu for this circuit has failed

Well got it replaced by dealer. Still think it’s unacceptable that such a major component would fail at 70k and the car 10 years old

In the scheme of things - after 10 years motoring this was a fairly minor failure. Unfortunately, for most manufacturers, the cost of some spares is totally disproportionate to the manufacturing cost. In this instance, a repair might well have been possible, and since the EDU isn't a common failure item - a second hand unit may well have been worth risking. For electronic components, failure is more often related to age, cycles and special causes rather than mileage.

4 hours ago, gjnorthall said:

Unfortunately, for most manufacturers, the cost of some spares is totally disproportionate to the manufacturing cost.

It's not just manufacturing cost though - there is the R&D, cost of holding stock/ distribution etc. for years &, of course, not forgetting a profit margin for OE supplier, Toyota & for dealer ...