Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Premature Battery Failure

Repertoire

Several years ago I gifted a 2008 Prius which now has 104k miles to a student son-in-law lacking extra money.  Having another Prius, I have always widely praised the Toyota for making a car that can last 200k, 300k without incurring a dreaded Battery failure based on real world experiences. 

And although in California the batteries are warrantied for 150k, here in Colorado, Toyota does not seem to stand behind the implied warranty that these batteries should last more than 100k. Is there someone at Toyota that can stand up for a loyal and long time Toyota and Prius customers. 

Welcome to Toyota Owners Club.

We are UK based and the majority of members reside in the UK and Europe. You may find the US Toyota Owners Club more suitable for your query - https://us.toyotaownersclub.com/forums/

I understand California is hot, but whats it like in Colorado, is it even hotter for longer?? Batteries do not like excessive heat, it may be the reason Toyota dont put the warranty in Colorado. I dont know about 2008 Prius (Gen2 in the UK) but Gen3 and 4 over here have a fan somewhere around the rear seat squab that helps direct cooler air to the big Battery. If that is clogged with dust/hair or excessively warm then the fan cannot do its job well. Have you chatted with Toyota US? What do they say?  Just my thoughts - may well be wrong

The Gen 2 Prius also has a fan for cooling the Battery.

The bigger problem with the batteries is age more than mileage. With a 2008 in your climate, I would be preparing for Battery failure in the next couple of years as the failure rate does seem to go up around 12 years. I don't have any real statistics about this though. There may be cheaper third party alternatives for Battery replacement or reconditioning near you.

7 hours ago, Catlover said:

I understand California is hot, but whats it like in Colorado, is it even hotter for longer?? Batteries do not like excessive heat, it may be the reason Toyota dont put the warranty in Colorado.

it also gets very cold in Colorado  depending where you are ...  huge temerature range.

The basic US warranty on the HV system seems to 8 years/100,000 miles but there can be variations according to State ...

I first read your post as saying that the Battery has failed or is failing. On re reading it, you may be just asking about the length of warranty.

Perhaps you should clarify, but if the Battery is still working then I think you should just stop worrying and let your lucky son in law enjoy the fact that many Priuses go on for 200 or 300K.

Worst case scenario if the Battery does fail is that you buy a new one- Any vehicle that's done over 100K is going to land you with a repair bill now and then, and the several hundred pounds (or dollars) cost of a new battery is less than the repair bills that many other vehicles will throw up. You can also find second hand ones from scrapped vehicles

Pete.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links