Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Toyota RAV4 2011 Sat Nav Touch & Go Updates?

Hasan 88

Hi, just bought a new 61 reg RAV4 and to learn that the nav hasn’t been updated in 5 years on previous owners ownership. This was disappointing! I paid owner £300 on top of my original offer of £5k. Just because he kept going on about the sat nav and how the car was cheapest compared to others. Toyota quoted me £120 to update. It’s a touch and go. I’m assuming this update has to be done twice a year for £120? Anyway I can’t afford it. Is there a cheaper way? Everyone on the RAV4 forum is saying they use google maps instead of Toyota navigation. Please advise thanks 

I was quoted more from Toyota for my hilux, I managed to do mine for £79 from satnavishop.co.uk worked a treat , have a look on their site and send them an email, very helpful they were.

14 hours ago, Hasan 88 said:

...  I’m assuming this update has to be done twice a year for £120? ...

I'm pretty sure that Toyota produce only one update per year so attempting to update "twice a year" would be a complete waste of money and give you two copies of the same thing.

Either way, if it were my car I'd update it 'now' because the maps are at least 5 years old - and possibly 8 or 9 years old if it hasn't been updated from new - just for the convenience of having the built-in sat nav working as well as it can. And then leave it like that for the next 5 years or so - the road network doesn't change that quickly after all.

That said, Google maps are 'free', always as up-to-date as can be and Google traffic guidance is, typically, more reliable than that offered by the built-in system. I use both.

2 updates per year

Not sure about T&G these days but on T2 with Go you can get various options from a single map update  to 3 years of updates & connected services for £199.

8 hours ago, Grumpy stumpy said:

I was quoted more from Toyota for my hilux, I managed to do mine for £79 from satnavishop.co.uk worked a treat , have a look on their site and send them an email, very helpful they were.

almost certainly a hacked copy.

44 minutes ago, Heidfirst said:

2 updates per year

Not sure about T&G these days but on T2 with Go you can get various options from a single map update  to 3 years of updates & connected services for £199.

almost certainly a hacked copy.

Absolutely but works a treat and a lot cheaper .

11 hours ago, Grumpy stumpy said:

Why didn’t you just go to Toyota for the sake of £40? It seems good. It’s £79 for the RAV4 too. Bit pricey still! But, I’m ringing a garage on Monday, if they can’t do it cheaper, £79 it is. 

9 hours ago, philip42h said:

I'm pretty sure that Toyota produce only one update per year so attempting to update "twice a year" would be a complete waste of money and give you two copies of the same thing.

Either way, if it were my car I'd update it 'now' because the maps are at least 5 years old - and possibly 8 or 9 years old if it hasn't been updated from new - just for the convenience of having the built-in sat nav working as well as it can. And then leave it like that for the next 5 years or so - the road network doesn't change that quickly after all.

That said, Google maps are 'free', always as up-to-date as can be and Google traffic guidance is, typically, more reliable than that offered by the built-in system. I use both.

Very good advice. I’ll update it and leave it for a while. Will also buy a iPhone holder too. Not sure wether to go with Toyota or with the £79 one above?

1 hour ago, Grumpy stumpy said:

Absolutely but works a treat and a lot cheaper .

at £79 a pop versus 6 for £199 ...

13 hours ago, Hasan 88 said:

Why didn’t you just go to Toyota for the sake of £40? It seems good. It’s £79 for the RAV4 too. Bit pricey still! But, I’m ringing a garage on Monday, if they can’t do it cheaper, £79 it is. 

Toyota quoted me £186 for one year update for my hilux so £79 it was for me yes would have worked out better value for a 3 year update from Toyota but initial outlay of £286 for that . For me roads don’t change that much yearly hence my hilux is 2014 and just updated to 2019/20 version in four five years time will do again.

On 7/28/2019 at 9:50 AM, Grumpy stumpy said:

Toyota quoted me £186 for one year update for my hilux so £79 it was for me yes would have worked out better value for a 3 year update from Toyota but initial outlay of £286 for that . For me roads don’t change that much yearly hence my hilux is 2014 and just updated to 2019/20 version in four five years time will do again.

That’s awesome! He messaged back  but I asked him what size usb do I need and if anything goes wrong with update what to do. He’s not very responsive to my messages. I’m going to have to just go with Toyota what do you think? ! I don’t have a usb. 

On 7/27/2019 at 8:17 PM, Heidfirst said:

at £79 a pop versus 6 for £199 ...

What do you mean? Versus 6?

He sent me a usb with all latest map uploaded on to . If you haven’t got a usb slot somewhere on your dash then you may have a disc instead in boot etc which will be cheaper. If you go onto your settings screen and take a picture of the version you have and send to him he will send you a link to which one you require and price.

Hi it’s £10 more for the usb if posted or £79 if downloaded, but I got nothing to download it onto.. my car It’s got a USB port near the nav. 

Ill just wait if he doesn’t respond I’ll wait till I get my log book back next week and then register for the updates.

toyota give you a guarantee and spoke to multimedia team this morning they said it’s adds nothing new but if new roads are built or speeds limits change then speed limits take a year to show up on new map updates. 

2 hours ago, Hasan 88 said:

What do you mean? Versus 6?

on T2 with G (I said earlier that I am out of touch with offerings for T&G)  you can get 3 years of updates +connected services for £199. 2 updates per year so that equals 6 updates.

Just an update. David said, 

Sorry for the late reply. We will give you a link to download the maps. You will need good quality 16gb USB formatted to FAT32. 

What does formatted to fat32 mean, how do you format it? 

28 minutes ago, Heidfirst said:

on T2 with G (I said earlier that I am out of touch with offerings for T&G)  you can get 3 years of updates +connected services for £199. 2 updates per year so that equals 6 updates.

Too expensive 

works out at under £30 each. Of course if you are happy with 1 update & then leave it for another 5 years fair enough.

FAT32 is a file system https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File_Allocation_Table#FAT32 Do you have a friend who is familiar with computer systems? If so it may be easier just to ask him to do it for you.

1 minute ago, Heidfirst said:

works out at under £30 each. Of course if you are happy with 1 update & then leave it for another 5 years fair enough.

FAT32 is a file system https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File_Allocation_Table#FAT32 Do you have a friend who is familiar with computer systems? If so it may be easier just to ask him to do it for you.

Hi Heidi, should I just buy the usb version? It’s £10 more. But £30 less than Toyota.

In your case by the sound of it just pay £30 more and go to Toyota going to be easier job done. Mine was going to be £186 from Toyota hence why I choose the cheaper option but if mine was £30 more from Toyota then Toyota for me.

41 minutes ago, Grumpy stumpy said:

In your case by the sound of it just pay £30 more and go to Toyota going to be easier job done. Mine was going to be £186 from Toyota hence why I choose the cheaper option but if mine was £30 more from Toyota then Toyota for me.

I’m just thinking I could use the extra £30 on a full valet or something else. I’ve decided What I’m going to do is order the £89 one through the website.

any idea how long for delivery? Doesn’t state on website 

49 minutes ago, Grumpy stumpy said:

By the way I’ve just realised it says Toyota touch 1/2, but doesn’t say touch and go. Is it the same? Mine is touch and go 

20 minutes ago, Hasan 88 said:

By the way I’ve just realised it says Toyota touch 1/2, but doesn’t say touch and go. Is it the same? Mine is touch and go 

Touch implies that it is a touch screen multimedia system; Go implies that it includes a sat nav ... I think! 🙂

If your local Toyota dealer is going to do the update for you (for £120) that may be a good / easy way to go ...

If your Touch and Go system (version 1) is the same as mine (and I suspect that it is) then downloading the update for yourself via Toyota should cost you £109 (that's what the system quoted me today) for a download to a USB drive provided by you. If you were to purchase a new USB drive it would come formatted as FAT32 by default (so real complication in practice).

As ever, you pays your money and takes your choice ... 🙂

On 7/29/2019 at 8:59 PM, philip42h said:

Touch implies that it is a touch screen multimedia system; Go implies that it includes a sat nav ... I think! 🙂

If your local Toyota dealer is going to do the update for you (for £120) that may be a good / easy way to go ...

If your Touch and Go system (version 1) is the same as mine (and I suspect that it is) then downloading the update for yourself via Toyota should cost you £109 (that's what the system quoted me today) for a download to a USB drive provided by you. If you were to purchase a new USB drive it would come formatted as FAT32 by default (so real complication in practice).

As ever, you pays your money and takes your choice ... 🙂

Thanks. Decided not to do it. Can buy the latest unit for £200, but may be able to get one with Google maps built in. Off eBay. Everyone is telling me to use Google maps.