Do Not Sell My Personal Information

1998 1800 avensis inlet manifold vacuum fix

fixitphil

I have over a few years noticed a gradual lack of pulling power/gutless.  Last mot mentioned engine seemed to be throttling back???. I have noticed that the vacuum actuator for the inlet manifold run butterfly control does not pull in when vacuum is present at start/normal revs <4,200 rpm.  Also vacuum was being lost less than -20 inHg say -17inHg. I tested the vacuum supply to the vacuum actuator alone with the actuator out of vacuum cicuit.   I read -21 inHg excellent, no losses so far. I then tested the actuator at the input pipe, no vacuum could be held. Device bust. As I could not source a new one without spending a lota dosh, I decided to try and fix the old one. This took a few hours but is so far running OK. I have attached images of the method and materials I used. I made the four clamping clips from 2mm thick mild steel  measuring 20mm x 15mm. I put a slot in one of the long sides of the piece to create a a strong push on clip. I used 4 hacksaw blades side by side to create a slot approx 2mm wide and 7mm deep to create the slot. When pushed on to the assembly flanges to clamp together,if not tight enough I used a small hammer to peen the metal around the slot to reduce the slot width. I have entitled the images to help clarify process. To fix the split I used the part of a nitrile rubber glove as a support for the general application of the black silicon rubber gasket solution(LOCTITE 5910). I did not glue the mended diaphragm in to the chamber, I just used the compressive fit when the clips are forced on. After testing the device I araldited the areas around the clips(4) to prevent movement.

All as good as gold.   Best of luck to anyone who is as tight as me.

fixitphil

apart1.jpg

apart2.jpg

faileddiaphragm.jpg

failedtest.jpg

filedflange.jpg

materials1.jpg

materials2.jpg

mended.jpg

refitted.jpg

tested.jpg

• Like 1

Great post Philip (fixitphil). I assumed you saw this recent post with the same issue? - 

I will link your post to Stephen's. Two different fixes to the same problem. If I still owned my old Avensis, I would has used either idea.

• Like 1