Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Avensis T27 2009 Stereo

Scotianet

My standard stereo in my Avensis T27 is now feeling dated and sadly I think it's time to look at replacing the head unit. Sound is fine but technology is moving on.

I'm currently streaming most radio stations via my android phone and playing Spotify via the Aux cable. Also when needing directions I use my android phone and google maps to help with this. Looking for recommendations and opinions on the best upgrades out there. bluetooth audio streaming is a must and also would be good to integrate the steering wheel controls and the voice dialling for making calls currently,

I've been looking at Halfrauds to see what's available and seeing lots of branded head units which are pricey. I would be open to some of the Chinese head units available depending on feedback (I've seen a cheap unit in my wifes car and the sound quality is abysmal so really looking for recommendations)

Looking forward to opinions and recommendations.

I went this route because it was the easiest - 

The reason I went this route is cost, plug and play with full integration, and the installation was straightforward. 

If you want to install a third party ICE (stereo), there are kits from Connects2, Autoleads, etc, that supply double din facia kits and harness, plus steering wheel interface. This is probably what you are after. If you want to fit a second hand Avensis nav system from a higher spec model, a bit of wiring will be needed to change some of the plug that work some of the advance features, and the addition of the reverse camera! Links
https://catalog.autoleads.co.uk/?fc=module&module=aampsearchbyvehicle&controller=results&aamp-sbv-region=2&aamp-sbv-trim=30893&aamp-sbv-make=96&aamp-sbv-model=AVENSIS&aamp-sbv-year=22977

https://connects2.com/

So there are three choices, USB/Bluetooth adapters, upgrade to Toyota nav system, or third party ICe or even one of those android units. The choice is yours.

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks for the replies to this (For some reason i missed the email to say I had a response so apologies for the delay) 

I had a usb adapter on my t25 avensis that fitted to the cd changer but never knew they did the bluetooth adapter. The Bluteooth adapter looks like good value.

However in the past few weeks I've been looking at a android auto enabled replacement aftermarket head units, these would give me a wealth of options including DAB radio as well. The only thing is the price, Looking at £319 for a Sony unit from Halfrauds but the sting in the tail is the fitting accessories. I checked with Halfords and they said there is a fitting bundle price around £90-100 but if my existing unit uses a JBL amplifier system then I would need to add another £100 on top of that price. They said they would take my car in for a pre-fitting check to see if it had the JBL amp.... I'm guessing that'll be another sting in the tail.

Anyone know if my model 06/2009 T27 would have the JBL amp without having someone rip anything out? If I recall my last T25 had an amp under the seat but I don;t see this in my T27. 

I would be more than happy to fit a new system myself but just would like to know what parts I need to see if it is going to be worth it.

Thanks for all the information so far.

ever thought of adding things via something like a Pure Highway 600? Currently available for ~£75 ...

I have had a look at the Pure Highway, Would mean losing my steering wheel controls and still having to mess with buttons which may distract me, I currently have spotify running via an aux cable from my phone and that has the same distractions. I may opt for the Pure Highway though over the Bluteooth adapter as suggested but really looking seriously at an Android Auto head unit now but the installation accessories may put me off that.

1 hour ago, Scotianet said:

I have had a look at the Pure Highway, Would mean losing my steering wheel controls and still having to mess with buttons which may distract me, 

you can use Siri or Google Assistant for voice control.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Heidfirst said:

you can use Siri or Google Assistant for voice control.

I have only just learnt some of the commands, since installing my latest Bluetooth/USB adapter via CD changer port. I can set the volume level of the phone, ask for directions, play music, basically control the phone. My phone is a Samsung Galaxy S8, and I only use Google (not Bixby), and the phone is on the latest update. If music via bluetooth, I change tracks via the steering control. 
Read my latest post on bluetooth adapter I have use in my car. I am currently using the Wefa unit which works very well, but for a little more money would have got the Dension BT Lite.  

the android stereo option is is okay if all the suitable cable and connections are provided for the steering controls and simple plug and play. 

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links