Do Not Sell My Personal Information

toyota auris 2013 cvt transmission

mervyn4u2

Hi All 

whats the forums experience of V-Matic gearboxes as in the toyota auris 2013 tourer sport

are they reliable 

also what is the life of them if looked after

or are they just one to avoid

any help appreciated

Merv

Edited by mervyn4u2
topic not clear

The term 'V-matic' refers to the engine. Are you asking about the CVT?

sorry Frosty balls  yes that was the transmission i was on about

after driving a Honda auto its a very weird experience 

If your  question is about CVT you may need to change the title, some people can see it and give some information. 

Oil change to the gearbox is essentiel for a longer life without failing. Do not buy a used car without knowing if the oil has been changed. I had my own oil changed at 40.000 miles, and will continue to do so. 

The chance of a breakdown is drasticly reduced, if you keep that in mind. If you're planning to tow caravans, I would find another car for the job.

I like my own CVT, but it does feel a bit fragile, especially when I know the gearbox is ruined if anything happens. My car has done 61.000 miles so far in 3,5 years. 

Hi Neils

You have echoed my sentiments exactly, 

this car has done 30,000 miles so will get it done with next service

I bought Toyota as have had Camry's , Carina e, Avensis (all autos) and loved them , had a honda accord tourer (again auto)  but  fancied getting a newer car but I am so dissapointed with this one

The car will never be towing caravans but thanks for warning.  Is the CVT gearbox covered by toyota extended warranty as they can never give a clear defined answer. 

thanks for the reply btw

Merv

Before I bought my cvt auto 6 years ago I did a lot of research and couldn't find any horror stories about them going faulty.  I still haven't read of any.  It's a great smooth drive around town but gets annoyingly revvy on hills, especially at motorway speeds.  I'd expect it to be really really annoying if towing.  IIRC the oil is supposed to be sealed for life, although I do recall reading of someone having theirs changed at a reasonable mileage, and that the box improved - perhaps that was Niels above?

I owned that cvt auto from about 1¼ years old (16k miles) until about 3¾ years old (39k miles).  Mine was an Avensis but I believe the box to be the same/similar to the Auris.  My experience with the cvt was really positive for the first 1½ - 2 years of my ownership - and I raved about how good it was.  However after my commute route changed to include joining a motorway at the bottom of a long uphill it became annoying.  I merely wanted to increase my speed in a reasonable manner to 60 or 70 to join the flow - there's no need for the revs to be at a boy-racerish 4k ffs.  Using the paddles or manual mode to 'shift up' made no difference whatsoever.  I did wonder tho - now that the car wasn't 'nearly new' any more, and the mileage was up a bit - was the car padding getting a bit worn and I was now hearing/feeling the engine more?  Or did the gearbox need a change of oil?  Or was I just hearing it more due to the long uphill and the nature of the cvt?  Either way the car was sold and I moved to Mazda, who don't have cvt boxes (or dual clutch boxes for that matter).  I'm now on my third Mazda (a 6 and two CX-5's, and the OH has a 3) - and the auto box in all four of them has been a pleasure - even on motorway hills lol.  If Toyota didn't have cvt's I'd probably still own one.

4 hours ago, mervyn4u2 said:

Is the CVT gearbox covered by toyota extended warranty as they can never give a clear defined answer. 

I had the same non commital from Toyota. They just would not confirm or deny. I was considering the extended warranty for my Yaris but decided against it because of this fudge re the CVT.

The gearbox felt the same after oil change. But it took several hours for the dealer to perform, so it isn't a DIY job. 

The oil must be heated to check the correct oil level. The gearbox software must be reset, so it learns that new oil has been added. The gear ratios changes over time, as the oil wears out. 

The steelbelt is very poor at handling low rev torque, thats why revs very easy gets a little high, when driving under heavy load, accelerating up hill, towing heavy trailers etc. 

thanks all for the feedback

Tried to tie down a main dealer but they said it was dependant on failure and they usually fail on the "clutch plate" going which would not be covered by extended warrenty

they also stated that if you do a lot of stop start driving just locally then it is not a good choice to have cvt (i always thought that was the pointof proper auto transmissions)

Never again toyota,  not until  they sort that appalling fragile gearbox out.

and yes alan333 thanks for the info :- i   will be looking at Mazda very soon.

Merv

On 8/2/2019 at 6:06 AM, nielshm said:

Oil change to the gearbox is essentiel for a longer life without failing. 

21 hours ago, mervyn4u2 said:

Never again toyota,  not until  they sort that appalling fragile gearbox out.

Just curious... where are you guys getting the info that the cvt auto boxes are prone to problems?  I'm pretty sure if they were problematic it would be apparent on here.  I've been a participant of this forum for years and don't recall reading of any horror stories (but I'm happy to be wrong if I've somehow missed them).  I'm personally not a big fan of their driving qualities but I can't bemoan their reliability.

• Like 1

Hi Alan.

First of all I find your information on here intelligent, informative and worth reading.

About gearboxes, a friend of mine runs a transmission garage, he of course says the MMT box is an expensive dilemma to repair and he personally doesn't like the CVT box and feels the Toyota pure automatic or the newer manual boxes are very good subject to regular oil changes.

I do take your point that not much is said about CVT boxes on here but just a personal friends comment but perhaps he is just bias.

Regards, Mike. 

• Thanks 1

22 hours ago, mervyn4u2 said:

Tried to tie down a main dealer but they said it was dependant on failure and they usually fail on the "clutch plate" going which would not be covered by extended warrenty

Thanks for that information, Mervyn. At least you were able to extract some sort of answer. That will be their get out, the clutch will be classed as a wear and tear item.

I wouldn't say it is fragile though. Time will tell.

2 hours ago, Mike169 said:

a friend of mine runs a transmission garage... ...he personally doesn't like the CVT box

This is my point - people might not like the cvt box, myself included, but there's no mention that they're problematic.  As far as I could tell before I bought mine, the Toyota cvt is about the most reliable auto box out there.  I've heard nothing since to make me change my mind.

3 hours ago, Mike169 said:

About gearboxes, a friend of mine runs a transmission garage, he of course says the MMT box is an expensive dilemma to repair and he personally doesn't like the CVT box

possibly he doesn't like the Toyota CVT box because :

a) it is very reliable - less work for him

b) when they do go wrong (usually 120/150,000+) more often than not Toyota seem to swap the whole box rather than repair the existing box onsite - less work for him

They might have been mixed again two type of transmission here, MMT & CVT.

Cvt has a  torque converter not a clutch plate , Toyota cvt’s are known to be on the good side as far as good cvt can be. They are not very popular in UK, we do like and drive more hybrids here when choosing an automatic car for a number of reasons. There was a big recall on them in US recently, info can be found online. I personally wouldn’t touch any cvt or mmt transmission from any car manufacturers, they are simply not great to drive and reliability is a questionable, I will buy a manual or hybrid if automatic transmission needed. 

Regards 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, TonyHSD said:

They might have been mixed again two type of transmission here, MMT & CVT.

Cvt has a  torque converter not a clutch plate ,

I was just about to point this out ...

MMTs do seem to be problematic particularly on small city cars. however afaik in the UK you can only buy about 2 or 3 city cars with true torque converter autos so choice is very limited.

& petrols (especially small capacity) are never the best solution for towing - that is 1 of diesel's strengths but they then have dual mass flywheels as manuals for a reason ...

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, TonyHSD said:

There was a big recall on them in US recently, info can be found online

I hadn't read/heard of that but have just Googled it - pretty bad huh.  It seems I need to modify my "haven't heard horror stories" statement.  As I said earlier, I'm happy to be wrong and thanks for pointing the huge recall out 🙂

• Like 2

Hi Alan.

Like I have already said to you that your comments are intelligent and I always read when I can.

I am uncertain what you have read, so would you mind copy and pasting the issue you have looked into.

Yes I expect you Googled it but I want to read the actual article you have read.

Regards, Mike.

• Thanks 1

3,400 Corollas were recalled in the US and just over 2,600 in Australia. In Australia it was just the 2.0 litre petrol models with the direct shift CVT, and presumably the same for the US models.

https://www.tflcar.com/2018/12/toyota-corolla-hatchback-cvt-recall/

https://www.toyota.com.au/news/toyota-australia-recalls-corolla-vehicles-to-replace-cvt-assembly

There was also a service bulletin affecting 2014-2017 Toyotas with CVT's where the fix was a software update.

https://www.toyoheadquarters.com/threads/2014-2017-toyota-corolla-and-im-cvt-transmission-software-update-ssc-jsd.1350/

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

reading those links it sounds like an issue that could have ocurred in a conventional torque converter auto too so not a hit against CVTs per se.

& yes, the base (indeed only) engine in the USA for the 2019 Corolla is the 2.0l, 1.8 isn't offered (it was in the previous generation). The new 2020 sedan now also offers the 1.8 hybrid powertrain (1st hybrid Corolla offered in the USA whereas we had a hybrid Auris for years).

• Like 1

" Cvt has a  torque converter not a clutch plate "

Really? They have a clutch which locks up at certain speeds. No torque converter, as in a "conventional" auto. box.

8 hours ago, mrpj said:

" Cvt has a  torque converter not a clutch plate "

Really? They have a clutch which locks up at certain speeds. No torque converter, as in a "conventional" auto. box.

They do have a Torque converter, no clutch plate

Capture.PNG

• Like 1

Correct, there are just a torque converter. The gearbox performs some sort of lock up, but only if engine load is low. If you start from 0,and accelerates up hill, revs will stay at 3-4000 rpm, untill the road levels out. 

Every thing is controlled by sensors, and is a driver you dont have any control over the gearbox, and can't force it to do anything, the software doesn't approve.