Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Thinking about an Auris

sproutdreamer

About a 2012 auto petrol model. Do the higher spec models have HID or LED headlights or is that just a buyer option?

Anything in particular to look out for on an Auris of this age?

I had a 2015 Auris Touring Sport Excel and it did not have HID or LED headlights.  Remember that now on the MOT if you fit a HID lamp conversion it will fail (I believe it is the same for an LED lamp)  - "Some vehicles may be fitted with High Intensity Discharge (HID) headlamps. It is not permitted to convert existing halogen headlamp units for use with HID bulbs. If it is clear that such a conversion has been carried out, rather than replacing the entire unit with one designed and approved for use with HID bulbs, the headlamp should be rejected. "

First or second generation Auris? In the UK, the first generation was on sale til November 2012, and the second generation from December 2012. 

The first generation will have Toyota's Multi Mode Transmission (MMT - manual gearbox with automated clutch) and the second generation a CVT.

Thanks for replies - yes I am aware that you cannot retrofit LED/HID headlights. Thanks for the heads up on the "dreadedMMT box" so I need to be looking at 2013 models.

• Like 1

Correct
2013 models and up.

Sent from my SM-A500F using Tapatalk

Or you can look at the hybrid one if you are about an automatic, smooth, reliable and most efficient auto in its class. 

There are some minor problems that feature on Mk2 Auris that might be worth knowing about.  Some may have been fixed under warranty, but some owners will not have noticed these faults and so have not reported them to the dealer.

Off the top of my head:-

The steering exhibits a 'click' when turned to either limit and then turned back (even when done gently).  This is not dangerous and apparently there are no MoT implications.  It is entirely down to the individual as to if this hacks you off a lot.  Both our cars did it.

The reversing camera seal to the lens will fail, allowing a seepage of water into the camera if splashed, this is especially apparent after a service when the Toyota garage will pressure wash the back of the car and the camera will be near-useless until it dries.  As far as I can tell all cars will have this happen, the 2015 has a slightly different camera, so better?  If the black seal around the lens is grey then it has probably already failed.   A new camera was (is?) £440 for the item, and the hatch door has to come apart to fit it.  The camera does dry out, but watermarks get left on the inside of the lens.  Some carefully cut greenhouse repair tape can help to prevent further leaks (Wilko £1.50 a roll, enough for about 300+ applications).

The driver seat can 'click' as it moves slightly during acceleration and braking, this is due to excessive play in the height adjust mechanism.  No easy fix, not all cars do it.

The headlamps, if requested by the customer under warranty, were replaced for identical-looking models (free-of-charge) that offer an obviously wider beam spread i.e. to the immediate left and right front of the car.  The headlamps aren't the best bit of the car, and the bulbs are rather expensive (HIR2)

The middle exhaust box seems prone to having a hanger rusting off - this maybe more on the earlier model, and maybe just hybrids.  This is ok from an MoT perspective, as long as the other one doesn't do the same.

Apart from the exhaust, there are technical bulletins about all these, I believe.  There are certainly posts about all these on this forum.

I have only noticed LED headlamps on one car ever, it was a very late facelifted model, maybe a 2018?

HTH

Ah that would explain why my rear view camera is like it is

what was the reliability of the non hybrid 2nd generation CVTs like ?

Merv

• 1 month later...

Just fitted some new 6k LED ( hir2 ) head lamp bulbs in my 2013 touring hybrid. 

What a difference that has made beam  Image looks spot on. But will double check on the beam setter tomorrow at work. 

Was  cruising down some country lanes testing them out felt like being in the Toyota hybrid at Le Mans flashing dip to main. Very happy 😎

Bear in mind that "Light source and lamp not compatible" is an MOT Major Fail if you take it along with them fitted ...

9 hours ago, Heidfirst said:

Bear in mind that "Light source and lamp not compatible" is an MOT Major Fail if you take it along with them fitted ...

No it’s not a fail I’m an mot tester. LED bulbs are not a reason for rejection. 

Hid are where head lamp washing systems are not fitted. 

Reason being that HIDs get hot and bake the bugs and dirt on. 

LEDs run cooler and do not need headlamp washers.  

As long as you have a beam pattern and a kick up is on the left. ( but changed law on kick up so you don’t need a kick up ) 

Yes you are right about light  source not  compatible but as the Auris has projection head lamps all is good

in any vehicle without projection head lamps (fish eye , fish bowl type) 

then yes LED head lamps are a fail because they cannot  produce a beam image (  pattern  )

Out of the mot testing manual 

Existing halogen headlamp units should not be converted to be used with HID bulbs. If such a conversion has been done, you must fail the headlamp.” 

Doesn’t say anything about LED there 

this is about levelling systems. Vehicles with them have little sensors with arms on the suspension 

Vehicles with high intensity discharge (HID) or LED dipped beam headlamps may be fitted with a suspension or headlamp self-levelling system. If these systems have been fitted, they must work. 

Sometimes it is not easy to determine if the self-levelling systems work. In such cases you should give the benefit of the doubt.”

as you can see if your unsure the vehicle has levelling benefit of the doubt. 

Here we have head lamp washers 

You can identify HID headlamps from:

• ‘DCR’ mark on the headlamp lens or body
  • an igniter module or inverter behind the headlamp 
  • taking a few seconds to reach full intensity
  • a bluish tinge to the light

HID headlamps use high voltage. You should take care when inspecting these headlamps.

Defect Category
  1. Headlamp cleaning device: 

1. inoperative
Minor
  1. inoperative in the case of LED or gas discharge systems (HID)

Major

You may see washers inoperative in case of LED is a major. 

But they are not inoperative their not fitted as standard can’t test what’s not there, 

plus heads don’t have DCR marked on them so tester have to go back to can prove they are LED without removing parts. NO 

Benefit of the doubt must be given PASS 

1 hour ago, Kineticsteve said:

Yes you are right about light  source not  compatible but as the Auris has projection head lamps all is good

then yes LED head lamps are a fail because they cannot  produce a beam image (  pattern  )

Aren't the light unit/lamp required to be compliant with ECE 98/128 & so E-marked? There are no direct replacement LED bulbs that are E-marked (I don't know if the Auris non-HID light units are E-marked to ECE 98/128).

This could be another of those grey areas where road legal & MOT vary ..

44 minutes ago, Kineticsteve said:

No it’s not a fail I’m an mot tester. LED bulbs are not a reason for rejection. 

Hid are where head lamp washing systems are not fitted. 

Reason being that HIDs get hot and bake the bugs and dirt on. 

LEDs run cooler and do not need headlamp washers.  

As long as you have a beam pattern and a kick up is on the left. ( but changed law on kick up so you don’t need a kick up ) 

Hi Stephen, I used to be an MOT tester myself but now I am too old for the job and LED's were not even available then. Ok it's not a Toyota , but my other car is a Lotus Evora, 10 years old but in amazing condition and has a Toyota Camry V6 3.5 litre in it, very fast, lol. I have LED rear brake lights and they are in a circle, about 24 of them but on one light about 4 of the LED's have stopped working and initially it is hard to notice. Do you consider this an MOT fail in your opinion as I don't mind replacing it but I would just like to get your opinion on this technically minor defect. Thank you very much. Mike.

fwiw afaik as long as 1/2 of the no. of LEDs in the matrix work it should pass.

• Like 1

Hi Scott, was your reply to my message or an earlier one please?

Thanks, Mike.

5 hours ago, Heidfirst said:

Aren't the light unit/lamp required to be compliant with ECE 98/128 & so E-marked? There are no direct replacement LED bulbs that are E-marked (I don't know if the Auris non-HID light units are E-marked to ECE 98/128).

This could be another of those grey areas where road legal & MOT vary ..

Yes you are right but you can buy bulbs on eBay ( halogen / any bulbs ) without the E1 on that are made in god knows where. 

My point is the tester has to prove with out removing any trims or the backs of the headlamps that it’s not for uk / road use. 

It has to clearly state off road use on the item being tested or not for uk roads, just because it does have a E the tester has to give benefit of doubt. Unless it’s clear eg the beam image is not right. 

So so how could you tell a bulb of any type has an E1 on with out removing. You can’t. 

5 hours ago, Mike169 said:

Hi Stephen, I used to be an MOT tester myself but now I am too old for the job and LED's were not even available then. Ok it's not a Toyota , but my other car is a Lotus Evora, 10 years old but in amazing condition and has a Toyota Camry V6 3.5 litre in it, very fast, lol. I have LED rear brake lights and they are in a circle, about 24 of them but on one light about 4 of the LED's have stopped working and initially it is hard to notice. Do you consider this an MOT fail in your opinion as I don't mind replacing it but I would just like to get your opinion on this technically minor defect. Thank you very much. Mike.

Pass and advice bud 

as long as 50% or more are working at time of test it’s a pass 

so you can have 12 working and it’s still a pass. 

Well unless the 12 that are working can’t be seen from a  reasonable distance 🤪

14 hours ago, Heidfirst said:

fwiw afaik as long as 1/2 of the no. of LEDs in the matrix work it should pass.

Hi Stephen, thanks very much for the info. Mike.

18 hours ago, Mike169 said:

Hi Scott, was your reply to my message or an earlier one please?

Thanks, Mike.

yours

13 hours ago, Kineticsteve said:

So so how could you tell a bulb of any type has an E1 on with out removing. You can’t. 

well, given that, as yet,  there are no E-marked LED replacement HIR2 bulbs ...  😛

I understand what you are saying but it does bring us back to what the new MOT was hopefully supposed to avoid/clear up - something that will pass an MOT but isn't road legal.

56 minutes ago, Heidfirst said:

yours

well, given that, as yet,  there are no E-marked LED replacement HIR2 bulbs ...  😛

I understand what you are saying but it does bring us back to what the new MOT was hopefully supposed to avoid/clear up - something that will pass an MOT but isn't road legal.

The mot is worse now than it was. The pass  criteria  Is all over the shop. 

Just on Friday I was carrying out an mot power steering level was well below  minimum, has always been a failure now it’s a minor 🤷🏼‍♂️

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links