Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Advice needed please

Mike Hanauer

The financial restraints brought about by retirement last year has pushed me out of the arms of my local Toyota dealer and into now doing the servicing of my Auris (2012 1.6 Valvematic) myself.  Fortunately, I have a friend with a big garage and ramps and managed to change the spark plugs, engine oil, all filters, plus front discs/pads last year. This time around, it seems that the gearbox oil and coolant also need to be changed and if i'm being honest, I'm unsure as to how to go about either on my Auris. I like to think that i'm a fairly competent at most things mechanical but as I don't even know where the gearbox drain and filler bolts are, I really don't want to break anything or otherwise mess things up. If anyone here can advise me as to how to go about changing the gearbox oil and coolant, i'd be really grateful.  

Hi, 

this is not going to be any more difficult than what you already have done so far. There are many videos on YouTube that may help you to locate the drain and refill bolts. Coolant has a draining plug at one of the corners on the radiator, unscrew it few turns and let it drain, than refill , use genuine Toyota coolant and genuine Toyota gearbox oil is the best option. 

Good luck. 

The Toyota coolant you will need is Toyota Super Long Life (pink) coolant. The usual change requirement for the coolant is at 10 years or 100,000 miles, whichever occurs first. Then every 6 years/60,000 miles, whichever occurs first.

Hi,

This online manual has some specifics that might help:-

http://www.autocats.ws/manual/toyota/auris_corolla_zze-zr-nde-ade/rm04f0e/index2.html?utm_source=ToyotaOwnersClub&utm_medium=ForumLinks

If your car has an undertray then removing the 10mm bolts and the plastic clips that secure it will likely take longer than draining the oil.  Best not to be tempted to cut the clips - they are usually about £1.50 each.  The 10mm bolts will usually come out with a tremendous amount of to-ing and fro-ing to dislodge the rust on the threads.  If you are looking to buy new drain washers then expect around £2.20 each.  On the gearbox, don't forget to loosen the fill plug first, just in case you can't remove it after you've already drained the oil!

HTH

• Like 2

On 7/28/2019 at 9:13 PM, FROSTYBALLS said:

The Toyota coolant you will need is Toyota Super Long Life (pink) coolant. The usual change requirement for the coolant is at 10 years or 100,000 miles, whichever occurs first. Then every 6 years/60,000 miles, whichever occurs first.

I would first determine which coolant is already in the engine. I would replace like for like, i.e. red for red, pink for pink. I can't remember where the warning/advice is, I'm sure it was Toyota, but it is not prudent to mix them up anyway. If the system is not completely emptied and flushed of the old coolant there will be residue of whichever type is in use. 

I seem to remember my older 2010 Yaris had red coolant. My current Yaris has pink.

1 hour ago, mrpj said:

I would first determine which coolant is already in the engine

My 2006 Corolla, 2009 Auris and 2012 Auris all used the Super Long Life pink coolant. If the car has red coolant in, then it has been changed for the incorrect coolant.