Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Steering Assist - hands off warning

bewA

Does anyone know if this works by some sort of pressure sensor(s) on the steering wheel or lack of resistance when holding the wheel?

It works by sensing resistance on the steering wheel. 

It'd be better if it didn't insist on driving in the right side of the lane. I sometimes find it more tiring because I'm forever trying to get it back to the left, especially since on motorways I mostly cruise along in lane one. I'd never use it on a single carriageway road. I wonder if the code is the same as that used for LH drive vehicles?

Does anyone know if its chosen position in the lane can be altered? Mine seems to sit further left than I am comfortable with...

3 hours ago, Simon1066 said:

Does anyone know if its chosen position in the lane can be altered? Mine seems to sit further left than I am comfortable with...

We could swap cars?

:)

• Haha 1

• 3 weeks later...

I know it's an old topic but I have just got a 2019 Corolla and I don't like the fact that it tends to sit on the left side of the lane with LTA enabled and dynamic cruise cntroll is on. I was hoping to find a setting to adjust the poisition but there is nothing. Has anyone found out why this is?

there is no way that i've seen in any of the menu's and in the manual that you can adjust affinity of the car when it's keeping in lane.

If it can't stay central i'd rather it had a preference to keep more left than more right in the lane.

It's interesting that some are seeing a left preference and others a right preference. I haven't used mine much so haven't experimented with it. Perhaps it tries to keep you where you started?

I suppose we have to realise it's down to what the system is seeing and given that we don't actually know what the system see's we can't determine if what we percieve as more more left or right in the lane it might be thinking that's central,  maybe it's not following a line but a curb or maybe a line in the road instead of a white line because of various conditions that are unique and not reproducible at the time.

In some respects we probably have similar experience to those that have Tesla's as the technology is based on what it interprets as a line as to the position on the road 🙂

Dont really notice wether mine sits to the left or right and cruise control is on

As long it doesnt wake me up from my nap I am not to bothered

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

The other problem with it is the nagging to keep your hands on the wheel. I have tried to let it do its thing and just rest my fingers on the wheel but then it nags me to hold it properly. One of my theories about the position preference was that it might be an attempt to force you to keep correcting it but then you're putting more effort in than if you just drove without the lane assist.

22 minutes ago, AndrueC said:

The other problem with it is the nagging to keep your hands on the wheel. I have tried to let it do its thing and just rest my fingers on the wheel but then it nags me to hold it properly. One of my theories about the position preference was that it might be an attempt to force you to keep correcting it but then you're putting more effort in than if you just drove without the lane assist.

after a bit of checking the warning is just based on steering wheel resistance and not pressure points on the wheel it's self.  If you just give it a little wiggle at from the bottom (not enough to weave dangerously) it's happy enough to go away 🙂

30 minutes ago, bewA said:

after a bit of checking the warning is just based on steering wheel resistance and not pressure points on the wheel it's self.  If you just give it a little wiggle at from the bottom (not enough to weave dangerously) it's happy enough to go away 🙂

Now there is an opportunity for an aftermarket wiggle device to make it hands free😏  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links