Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Max Cruising speed

serial4Mark

Hello all,

I used to drive a petrol Yaris, now I am thinking of buying a first generation (before facelift) Auris Hybrid.

On my commute I drive the car in town and on a 50mph dual carriage way.

My question is can I cruise with 50mph purely in electric mode?

(does anyone knows if this is different with the second generation model? so can that one cruise at 50mph purely on electric?)

Thanks!

Hi,

you can not constantly cruise at 50mph speed on any mode, maybe from time to time when going downhill and for a very short only. Cruising at around 30-35mph for up to a mile in ideal conditions.  You CAN NOT cruise at 50mph in EV mode with any hybrid cars. If you are looking for that type of travel you will need a plug in hybrid, something like Prius Plug in or Mitsubishi Outlander PhEV, Golf GTE etc, they have bigger batteries that can be charged and have a range from 18-30 miles in pure EV mode. The normal hybrid “self charging “from Toyota are simply petrol cars with advanced stop-start technology that allows you drive on pure electric when crawl in traffic, waiting on traffic light, going downhill, and also the system helps the petrol engine propel the car in almost all occasions to achieve better fuel consumption, It’s not an electric car, however you still gonna get good fuel efficiency at around 60mpg. Second gen Auris even latest Prius and Corolla are all the same. 

Regards 

My first hybrid was a 66 plate Auris and the electric used to cut out and petrol take over, on the flat, at 40mph. So any thing below 40mph, you could almost guarantee that it would run on electric. Now, my present car is an 18 plate C-HR and the improvements that have been made to the EV drive are noticeable. With careful throttle management I can use electric up to 50mph, on the flat. Hills obviously require more power so the petrol cuts in, to share the load with the electric motor. Also, I’ll be very unlucky to not return 60mpg during normal driving, on a good day I’m returning 70mpg. It all depends how you drive, but with practice you can utilise the electric motor a lot more. Now before you comment, I always try to keep to the speed limits, what I mean is I do 40mph in a 40 zone not 35 etc.

8 hours ago, TonyHSD said:

You CAN NOT cruise at 50mph in EV mode with any hybrid cars.

you can in the latest Corollas - they can drop into EV even up to 70mph. Of course range in EV mode is very limited especially at high speed.

• Like 1

Thank you all for the replies,

once I saw a video reviewing second gen Auris, and in that the driver said he is cruising at around 42mph in electric mode. So I thought I'd ask. I will look around and rent a hybrid toyota to try.

Thanks again! 

Well , yes that is the best to rent and try for yourself . 

Good luck 

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links