Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

'91 V6 4runner Has Rod Knock; Seeking Advice

LarryM

Hi Folks,

I have an opportunity to get a '91 V6 4Runner w/ 135K miles for FREE. It's in pretty good shape except it has a rod knocking; the engine was rebuilt about 15K miles ago. I know zero about these engines (I'm a Toyota novice) but I've been told the V6 Toyota was using for this model in '91 was a poor design, with oiling problems and a weak bottom end. Apparently Toyota's heat treatment on the crank journals wasn't good, and if the engine is rebuilt and the journals are turned in the process, they don't last long afterwards.

Can anybody clue me in on the best route to take with this? Any sources of good used engines, cheap cranks, or any other useful information that will set me on the right track? Are these engines really that bad, and would I be better off finding a used one or getting a new crank (and maybe a rod, etc.) for this one? I'm in the L.A. area. Thanks for your help!

LarryM

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links