Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Aygo MMT gearbox

burtie

hi

I have had a 59 plate aygo MMt given to me by a family member while my car was being repaired and i do a 100 mile a day commute, they were told that the gearbox actuators had had it but the car still drove so i put an MOT on it and used it.Now i have no knowledge of these gearboxes but what i read is the actuators fail and make the car loose drive and you have to switch off and restart to get the gears back, now my one drives fine with no problems in E mode or M mode but the issue is while driving if you have to down shift right down the box all is fine apart from 2nd to first as it will drop into N beep and then reselect first then all is normal and drive as it should, sometimes it will stay in N but if you flick the gearlever it selects 2nd and off you go all ok. Has anyone come across this before or any advise would be great if not a will keep driving as it is as i have got used to it now. 

We have an Aygo from 2008. We bought it in 2010 as an used car from the dealer with toyota quality warranty. One of the issues that we ran into in the second year was the mmt gear box. It would slide into neutral and beep. It happened at any time and got worse. Took it to the dealer and they tried readjusting as a cheap fix but of no use. Back to the dealer and they had to change the actuator. It would have been a very expensive repair but the toyota quality warranty saved us from economic disaster. The water pump was also changed under warranty. The car has been very reliable after that. But the mmt gear box is the Achilles heel in this car. We are waiting for the next first sign when the mmt gear box decides to give up and that is when we will get rid of this aygo. There is a lot of information on this mmt gear box in this forum and in the internet.

I've had two automatic Aygos, a 2014 mk1 and currently a 2017 mk2 x shift or new mmt. They both did the slide into neutral and beep but I just put up with it as it doesn't happen very often. I only keep them on a pcp for 3 years so I've never experienced the longivity of the mmt gearboxes.

• 3 weeks later...

This is a very common problem in the MMT gearbox, especially the earlier MMT Aygos. I had mine (55 plate Peugeot 107, practically an Aygo) years ago. The gearbox problem kicked in after 1yr of driving, the first sign was some very jerky shifting when the car went from 1st to 2nd gear, it was particularly bad when the car was cold. It got slightly better after 2nd service when they said they simply reset the timing of gear change. The more serious problem came much later when my car simply locked at neutral in front of traffic lights. The only way to get started again was to switch off ignition for 10sec, then on again. The problem became more frequent and I decided to move on for the CVT Yaris. 

Toyota (Peugeot/Citroen) should have admitted the fault and should provide a free and permanent fix to that. Otherwise, the Aygo was really fun to drive.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links