Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Eicher Brake Pads....

Exvec

?Anyone else bought Eicher brake pads and found that they have the dreaded brake squeal. 

Yes, but to be fair, the squealing went away for a while when I lubricated the sliders and the ears of the pads. Next time, I will need to properly clean out the gunk from the channels the sliders run in, too. Although the squealing came back through my own laziness, it is much less than before and at a higher pitch. First time I have had more than a minor and temporary squeal from any brand of pad, really. I usually always use either Eicher or Pagid, being that those are what Eurocarparts tend to supply.

Ok Paul i bought my Eicher pads from CP4L.and the squealing is terrible,the sliders are  moving freely and the channels are nicely clear of gunk.

This is the first time i have used this brand from CP4L ,and this will be the last time i buy from CP4L they are rubbish.,they sell substandard parts imo.

I did think that Eicher were an ECP or CP4L 'own brand', but recently I have seen that they do exist outside of ECP.  They are an Indian company, not Chinese as I thought.  Not that this helps your brake squealing...

23 minutes ago, Gerg said:

I did think that Eicher were an ECP or CP4L 'own brand', but recently I have seen that they do exist outside of ECP.  They are an Indian company, not Chinese as I thought.  Not that this helps your brake squealing...

Eicher are ECP's own budget brand. Parts are sourced from various locations (mostly in the Far East) according to application and pricing. ECP Eicher are not connected with Eicher Motors (an Indian company which manufactures trucks and Royal Enfield motorcycles).

For good brakes I suggest anything from TMD Friction (Textar, Pagid, Mintex brands). TMD are an OE supplier to Toyota.

• Like 1

@Exvec, just to be clear, CP4L is owned by the same company which owns Eurocarparts, and pretty much is just a budget internet outlet of ECP. Same parts, usually slightly cheaper.

• Thanks 1

Guys you can look at EBC BRAKES, this are UK made and as good or even better than the big brand names TMD. 

• Thanks 1

Hi, been using them for years and thankfully have not experienced any brake squel. Sourced them each time through ECP/CP4L.

I admit I am building myself to it, I only have serviced a drum brake when I forced to when I was going for a wheel bearing, but decided to leave it at that. Just added some deep penetration spray where the bearing turns. Though I found the hold on pin rusted so I replaced that. Plan to service the other rear brake, not sure when.

So if these brakes are working for some, curious about whether copper grease is used correctly on pads and pins, and silicone or red grease on pistons, and if everything is properly degreased, with brake cleaner or simply a degreaser spray, and the caliper nuts are put on at the correct torque....

ebc here! on x5 and q7 and cars over the years last long perform good no squeal and keep alloys clean/ less dust. worth the extra.

only time i had to change pads was due to siezed rear calipers on avensis taking them down pretty low at mot time

• Like 1

• 7 months later...

Eicher are an ECP brand but now produced by TMD Friction (the makers of Pagid, Textar, Mintex etc) in the UK, so maybe that's why they are crap. For safety critical items (tyres, brakes) buy German or Japanese.

Ziauris - I believe that TMD Friction 'Pagid' brakes are used as original equipment brakes in many companies cars such as Mercedes, BMW and Porsche. 

Do you have a foundation for stating that TMD Friction products are, in your words "crap" ? When you say buy "German" what brands were you referring to? 

• Like 1

TMD Friction have been Japanese owned since 2011 - Nisshinbo Holdings Inc - and supply Brembo, Aston Martin, Audi, BMW, Bugatti, Ferrari, Lamborghini, Lotus, Porsche, VW, amongst others. So they can't be all bad.....

• Like 1

On 3/13/2020 at 12:13 AM, HS78 said:

Ziauris - I believe that TMD Friction 'Pagid' brakes are used as original equipment brakes in many companies cars such as Mercedes, BMW and Porsche. 

Do you have a foundation for stating that TMD Friction products are, in your words "crap" ? When you say buy "German" what brands were you referring to? 

UK produces crap - that's what I meant, I am 100% sure that a Jap made Auris is better quality than UK built. Eicher is produced by TMD Friction in Scotland I believe so that's why they are probably crap. TMD also produces it's other brands in Germany, they are better, I'll let you research which ones these are. I'd buy Jap or German products for safety critical things like brake and tyres. Tried Eastern european (poland) made Goodyear efficient grip performance and they were so crap, I took them off the car and got replacement Dunlop from Germany - 100% better! Avoid UK and eastern european for these components is my philosophy.

• Confused 1

Have you driven a UK and Japanese Auris? If you have what did you find better about the Japanese version? I certainly do not agree with your statement that the 'UK produces crap' comment. There are a lot of good companies in the UK that produce quality items. 

You mention that you only buy Japanese or German for safety critical items so which Japanese brakes do you buy? 

Ultimately the country of origin should not be the deciding factor when buying car parts. A part can be well made or badly made irrespective or where in the world it has been made. You may remember the now defunct airbag and seatbelt Japanese company, Takata. Millions of cars fitted with their components were recalled due to safety issues which ultimately led to the Takata corp. going bankrupt. 

Does your Auris have any Takata parts fitted? . . . . 😱

• Like 3

Goodyear own the Dunlop tyre brand in Europe.

1 hour ago, HS78 said:

Have you driven a UK and Japanese Auris? If you have what did you find better about the Japanese version? I certainly do not agree with your statement that the 'UK produces crap' comment. There are a lot of good companies in the UK that produce quality items. 

You mention that you only buy Japanese or German for safety critical items so which Japanese brakes do you buy? 

Ultimately the country of origin should not be the deciding factor when buying car parts. A part can be well made or badly made irrespective or where in the world it has been made. You may remember the now defunct airbag and seatbelt Japanese company, Takata. Millions of cars fitted with their components were recalled due to safety issues which ultimately led to the Takata corp. going bankrupt. 

Does your Auris have any Takata parts fitted? . . . . 😱

Forget airbags!!! Britain produced Rovers, remember what happened to them? Japan produced Hondas. They had a joint venture/partnership and now it's obvious Honda kept Rover limping along. As soon as Honda departed, what happened? Honda still around, Rover > mortuary.

My brother works for a Japanese company so I know what is the work ethic of the Japanese workers, why did their cars overtake UK/USA built cars? Better built cars by better workers, that's the reason everyone around the world and UK  voted with their wallets and made Honda/Toyota/etc the biggest selling cars and the most popular manufacturers .  I have had Japanese built cars back in the day and they beat any UK car of the day. I am sure that is true now.

Getting back to brake pads/discs ...what does everyone think of this ranking of brake pads/discs ...I think it's from Euro Car Parts?

Do you guys agree with the ranking? Disagree?? 

brake discs.jpg

11 minutes ago, ziauris said:

Forget airbags!!! Britain produced Rovers, remember what happened to them? Japan produced Hondas. They had a joint venture/partnership and now it's obvious Honda kept Rover limping along. As soon as Honda departed, what happened? Honda still around, Rover > mortuary.

My brother works for a Japanese company so I know what is the work ethic of the Japanese workers, why did their cars overtake UK/USA built cars? Better built cars by better workers, that's the reason everyone around the world and UK  voted with their walrlets and made Honda/Toyota/etc the biggest selling cars and the most popular manufacturers .  I have had Japanese built cars back in the day and they beat any UK car of the day. I am sure that is true now.

Honda pulled out of Rover because BAe, who owned Rover at the time, sold Rover to BMW, and Honda weren't willing to share their tech with BMW.

If you're going to quote history, at least get your facts straight.

• Like 1

Ziauris said " that's the reason everyone around the world and UK  voted with their wallets and made Honda/Toyota/etc the biggest selling cars and the most popular manufacturers ".

This article shows the 10 bestselling cars in the UK from 2019 - https://www.driving.co.uk/news/business/uks-top-10-best-selling-cars-2019-updated/  Source - The Sunday Times. 

Unfortunately no Toyota models made the list. 

If you don't like UK and Eastern European products then why are you driving around in a mk1 Auris?

Personally I have always enjoyed Toyota and Honda cars and had many UK built and Japanese imports. The quality has been good on all of them regardless of who and where they were built.

Our UK-built Auris and Avensis have certainly been more reliable than the 'crap' German cars we've owned in the past, hence why I stopped buying VW group cars.

I do agree with picture above. Textar are the best brake pads in the business in general. I found recent years that EBC UK made pads are as good as Textar and Pagid but cost as little as Apex or Eicher, this is a real deal, have them on various cars since 2015, I am happy with them, especially how nice  they bite when you press the brake pedal, and also they smell like Textar 😉, that’s important and it’s a sign of quality lining materials used. If anyone buying EBC pads just choose the normal one, “Ultimax” or some as they called: “Black stuff”, because they usually offer popular Green stuff, Yellow stuff etc that are pads for high performance cars and track days or very spirited driving and those brakes does not perform well in normal driving conditions., but if you are that type of driver and have a sport car yeah, just check them out.
Other good brands been using : Pagid- very close to Textar and perform well, Apec- quality stuff, not as biting as the others but well made and perform good, Brembo - somewhere between Pagid and Apec, Bosch- similar to Pagid and Brembo

Regards 

7 hours ago, TonyHSD said:

I do agree with picture above. Textar are the best brake pads in the business in general. I found recent years that EBC UK made pads are as good as Textar and Pagid but cost as little as Apex or Eicher, this is a real deal, have them on various cars since 2015, I am happy with them, especially how nice  they bite when you press the brake pedal, and also they smell like Textar 😉, that’s important and it’s a sign of quality lining materials used. If anyone buying EBC pads just choose the normal one, “Ultimax” or some as they called: “Black stuff”, because they usually offer popular Green stuff, Yellow stuff etc that are pads for high performance cars and track days or very spirited driving and those brakes does not perform well in normal driving conditions., but if you are that type of driver and have a sport car yeah, just check them out.
Other good brands been using : Pagid- very close to Textar and perform well, Apec- quality stuff, not as biting as the others but well made and perform good, Brembo - somewhere between Pagid and Apec, Bosch- similar to Pagid and Brembo. 

Regards 

Wouldn't mind giving them a try but I can't find any cheap EBC, fronts are around the £110 mark for both, I found textar  fronts for £62 and Bosch for just under 80.

If you know ebc seller around this price let me know.

thanks

Hi,

eBay has sellers that offer great prices, plus there are discounts too, 10% at the moment. You get EBC pads only and any make discs will do the job. Blueprint, Apec, Brembo , ABS, not too expensive. You get the part numbers and cross reference, check on Amazon too, but you need numbers. Amazon btw sometimes sells parts on unbelievable low prices. I had my disc from there for £30 Blueprint fronts and eBay £25 for EBC pads, all genuine stuff. 
Regards 

1 hour ago, TonyHSD said:

Hi,

Ebay has sellers that offer great prices, plus there are discounts too, 10% at the moment. You get EBC pads only and any make discs will do the job. Blueprint, Apec, Brembo , ABS, not too expensive. You get the part numbers and cross reference, check on amazon too, but you need numbers. Amazon btw sometimes sells parts on unbelievable low prices. I had my disc from there for £30 Blueprint fronts and eBay £25 for EBC pads, all genuine stuff. 
Regards 

Thanks for the info. eBay has a lot of fakes, often difficult to spot, even eurocarparts got caught selling fakes so even the reputable providers are susceptible so I'm very wary of eBay parts.

I only need front discs at the moment, my Pagid pads have around 20k miles left on them. I know the advice is to replace the pads too but I think I will just sand them down a bit and re-bed them to the new discs (I read 80 grit emery cloth should do this trick). 

I have found Textar discs for £62 for both, again wary about using cheap discs as I do motorway driving (even though they are probably all a much of a muchness - cast iron shaped into discs) from Mister Auto. I have found these same Textar discs on eBay for £40 and I have asked the seller if they are genuine textar (of course, they said they are!!) but again this price is sounding alarm bells in my head as this is to thirds of the price on Mister Auto.

Textar are producing new tamper evident boxes for their pads and a QR check code, I don't think the discs are packaged like this so could easily be fakes. Also went to GSF today who are selling Bendix discs for £55, looked at the box but it didn't have any markings of where they are made, heard they are made in china. Probably worth the extra £5 for the German textar or maybe worth a gamble on the ebay textar for £40 :-/

Seen ABS/Ridex discs very cheap - around £22 for 2 - have you used these or Blueprint and what did you think of them. I know the pads are much more important than discs as manufacturers use different materials.